Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Black LD1's back from the shop.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 01:03 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black LD1's back from the shop.

Well I sent my wheels in 2 weeks ago to get them powdercoated a high gloss black and just picked them up from the shop this morning. I am very pleased with the outcome and I'm sure after I wax and buff them up a little more it' will be

I sent them in to Mag Masters in Santa Ana. Took a little longer then expected but the quality is great. They cleaned all inside the inner wheel looks OEM.

Before:

After:

As you know the LD1's aren't known for a deep dish. The lip is 2.5" and after powdercoating the wheels black the LIP just looks so much bigger!!!

Sorry for the crappy pics I left my digital camera at my other home. These are from my Camera phone. They really dont do them justice.
Old 05-25-04, 01:08 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

i like it alot

they did a nice job

Old 05-25-04, 01:11 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, Mag Masters rule!

i send my rims there all the time. Talk to the owner, as he gives A LOT better pricing.

Looks great! could you PM me with the price for each? just want to compare with the quote they gave me. thanks!
Old 05-25-04, 01:35 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

sent you PM!!!

btw just FYI..... when you pick up your wheels from the shop they'll be sort of dusty... DONT RUB IT WITH YOUR FINGERS!!! My stupid a$$ started dusting off the wheels with my fingers and I ended up putting microscratches in them.... atleast wait a few days before doing this or putting on wax. Pretty much treat it like paint. They barely finished powdercoating the wheels yesterday so it was too soon for me to start rubbing on them.

I'm not worried though... the microscratches are just that... very micro.... and after some wax they wont even be visible if you look for them..... I'm going to wait a week or two before putting them on the car and a coat of wax at the same time.
Old 05-25-04, 02:13 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Those are loin heads on the centercap? I had LD-1 and they said lowenhart on them no head. Arent those heads from an other set of Lowenhart wheels? The BS-5s had those centercaps see. Well they look good black anyway. I have a set in my garage all bent up with 2 bald tires. Maybe ill send them off to get the lips polished and the insides painted black so I can flip flop wheels
Old 05-25-04, 02:36 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

yea for a while I was wondering the same thing. I was checkin out some other wheels and they had the words Lowenhart across the centercap with No lion head.... upon further investigating I came to the conclusion that they just send out randomn centercaps.... I have seen BR5's with the lionhead and without.... I've seen LD1's with and w/o them too... so who knows.... I personally Like the Lionhead it fills the Centercap nicely... but I'm trying to find a way to changeout the centercap so that the center has the Lexus emblem....
Old 05-25-04, 02:50 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lion Head

The LionHead was the older center cap style (BR5, LD1, etc), on newer models (and during later years on all), they read "Lowenhart" like the LD5 and stuff.

The have a newer model called the LS1 (split tri star) and it has a revised lion head. I have always liked the lion head LOL
Old 05-25-04, 03:31 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

those look sweet, i plan on taking mine in and painting them dark grey...but looks awesome
Old 05-25-04, 05:25 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

care to share a range of cost and what was involved?

and i believe a 2.5" - 3.0" is perfect. the uber deep-dish look ain't for me
Old 05-25-04, 06:24 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

2.5" lip is usually good enough for me but because the LD1's inner design is recessed out it makes the lip look smaller.

They got me a killer deal at Mag Masters. I went there and told them my buddies from E46Fanatics recommended me.... and just BS'd that the Charcoal M3 w/ the asian guy told me to come here.... just make up a name..... lol but from my understanding w/ another member here that you dont even need to give them that BS..... they quoted me $75 per wheel... $300 for the whole set. And these are multi-piece wheels.... I dont know the price differences or if there IS any for cast or multipiece wheels.

$75 was just a tad higher then what alot of the other places were trying to charge me for painting the wheels..... and IMO why paint wheels??? IMO Powdercoat is the only way to do wheels!!!
Old 05-25-04, 07:01 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty...
Old 05-29-04, 12:35 AM
koreanguy8302
Rookie

Question

Do you live in the brea, ca area? If you do i think i might have seen you today at Friar Tux shop?
Old 05-29-04, 07:49 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Very nice!! They did an excellent job and I can't wait to them on yur car..
Old 05-31-04, 10:09 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the replies guys... I'm still waiting to get my car lowered.... hopefully it'll be shipped any day now. This thing is really getting me anxious..... anyways my cars in the shop anyways gettting touched up and detailed.... 3 more days until I can get her back.....

oh btw, I'm in the Fountain Valley/ Huntington Beach area. I was in brea a few days ago going to the Barnes & Nobles to pretend like I was studying. but the wheels aren't on my car yet so I dont know who you saw.... hopefully it wasn't a black gs w/ Black LD1's

btw I saw a Black GS lowered w/ 19-20" 5 or 6 spoke Gunmetal Wheels w/ polished lip on Harbor blvd turning into Target over by the 405. It was an Asian Girl driving.
Old 05-31-04, 05:59 PM
koreanguy8302
Rookie

sorry to say but it was a Black GS with quad exhaust, roof spoiler, black ld-1's, and a body kit.

Chris

Quick Reply: Black LD1's back from the shop.