Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

I screwed up the ride on my 98 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 02:20 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I screwed up the ride on my 98 LS400

Hey all

Well I was always so proud of how smooth the ride in my LS was. I always stick Original Tire on my cars. Well this time I figured let me Upgrade my tires. I did the research on TireRack.com and bought Continental ContiPremierContact from JM Lexus. My service guy said his Tech was NOT Pleased putting anything on my car that was not original equipment but I told him to do it anyways.

Well Now I can feel every little bump in the road. I keep my PSI at 29 just like the Owners manual says for my car. The car drives perfectly straight and still smooth compared to many cars but did not use to feel all these little vibrations and bumps from the road. My wife would drive my car instead of her RX300 and always commend how silky smooth my car drives. Sunday we took a long drive and she comment how rough my car was riding. The Contionatals are HR rated and have 600 treadware rating. I think those two things are killing me.

I am very disappointed and would love any suggestions you all have. I am willing to buy new tires ASAP. Price is not a concern. My Number one priority is Ride comfort and Quit Ride.

I called JM and they recommend Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. My old tire were the Bridgestone Turanza ER33. I loved them but the wore away very fast. That's what started this mess.
Old 05-24-04, 02:26 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Continentals are not known for their comfort/ride quality. You really can't go wrong with Michelin or Goodyear when it comes to a comfortable ride. I had Michelin Energy MXV4's on my OEM wheels and they were great in terms of comfort/ride quality, but lacked a bit in the wet traction category.

BTW, moving this to the wheels/tires forum so you'll get more/better responses there.

Last edited by BR1AN; 05-24-04 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 02:37 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

I can vouch for those Michelins
Old 05-24-04, 03:52 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should never purchase a tire that high in a tread count.

These are excellent tires as well IMO.
http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/Pro...ype=UHP&id=203
Attached Thumbnails I screwed up the ride on my 98 LS400-lifelinerslehv.jpg  

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 05-24-04 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 04:09 PM
singh99999
Driver School Candidate

I have the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus on my 95 LS and the ride is silky smooth, and they also stick fairly well to the road during sharp cornering!
Old 05-24-04, 04:16 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try the goodyear invicta series...they were my stockers....i heard it was made specifically for Lexus' comfy and silent ride.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Invicta+GA

Last edited by PHML; 05-24-04 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 04:25 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I've tried the kumho's and they're great as well. they're available on tire and rack and are amongst the cheapest H rated that I've seen. but the ride is as good as the michelin's mxv4's with almost 1/3 of their price.
Old 05-24-04, 04:25 PM
chrisngo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I recently upgraded to 19" wheels and tires. I still have my stock tires with about 90% tread on them.

I'll let you know the size when I get back home. They are Yokohama tires and they were VERY quiet when I had them on the car. If you are interested i'll sell em for a low price!

Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-24-04, 05:29 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

well when you go with Z-rated tires, you will always sacrifice the ride
Old 05-24-04, 05:54 PM
chrisngo
Pole Position

Agreed....unfortunately they were H-Rated with an unbelievably high treadwear.

Chris

Originally posted by persian451
well when you go with Z-rated tires, you will always sacrifice the ride
Old 05-24-04, 07:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

There is a tire with a 600 treadwear?!

I have the MXV4 and they are an acceptable tire. Granted it is a smooth tire with relatively low noise and a modest tread life, however, I feel they are lacking in the traction dept. A totally predictable tire but I don't push them in the rain. IMO, there are others to consider and at a lower price point.

Last edited by RA40; 05-24-04 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 02:54 PM
alister
Pole Position

600 is pretty high. The dealer put those Cooper Touring SLE tires on my GS400 before I bought at the request of my used auto dealer (for a cheaper tire than Michelin I imagine) for new tires. I have to admit I was worried at first but after 2 months I can't really complain (although I have no previous benchmark on this car with other tires). They track well, do good in the rain, and are pretty quiet.

ken
Old 05-25-04, 02:56 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

i have the cooper zeon on my ride W rating and they are pretty quiet and comfortable with lowered springs, shocks, and 18 in wheels
Old 05-25-04, 09:28 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by PHML
Try the goodyear invicta series...they were my stockers....i heard it was made specifically for Lexus' comfy and silent ride.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Invicta+GA
They only come in one size and 215 is to narrow for the LS.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...del=Invicta+GA

Consumer Reports rated tires in the Nov 03 issue. If you want you can read up on it at the nearest library.
October 10, 2003
Consumer Reports ranks speed-rated tires in November issue
Performance tests conducted by the Consumer Reports staff rank a Falken and an Eagle tops in their respective categories.
In its November issue, Consumer Reports tested H-rated high performance all-season tires and Z-rated ultra-high performance tires.

The Falken Ziex ZX 512 finished first out of 18 different models in the H-rated category. The Bridgestone Turanza LS-H finished second.

Fifteen different brands, in size P195/65R15, were represented (P195/65R15 is the standard size on CR's 2002 Honda Accord EX test car).

CR says its engineers tested both "sport" (handling and grip) and "touring" (ride comfort) models at its 327-acre Auto Test facility in East Haddam, Conn.

Thirteen different Z-rated tires also were tested, with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 finishing on top. The Toyo Proxes T1-S finished a close second.

The ContiSportContact2 was ranked third in the magazine's Z-rated tire tests. The tires tested were size P215/45R17 to fit CR's 2002 Ford SVT Focus test car.

"CR's top-scoring Z-rated tire, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, delivers superb wet dry grip, and hydroplaning resistance," says Eugene Petersen, a senior automotive engineer for the magazine. "But many others compromised wet or dry performance.

"The low sidewalls that help give ultra-high performance tires their responsive handling make most ride more harshly. What's more, their grippier tread tends to wear more quickly."

All tests and ratings of the H-rated high performance all-season tires and the Z-rated tires appear in the November issue of Consumer Reports. The complete report also is available to subscribers of ConsumerReports.org.

The issue also includes a special report on aftermarket tire-pressure monitoring systems.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 05-25-04 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 11:20 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey all. Well i bit the bullet and replaced my tires. I have gone back to the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas ER33 and could not be happier. My silky smooth float over the road ride is back. 100% difference. I will never stray again!!!

Quick Reply: I screwed up the ride on my 98 LS400