Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Fair gentlemen, I need your assistance on 19 inch lightweight wheel selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 02:45 PM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wat im looking for RIMS

this is wat i need a deep lip rim perfer 3inch lip and 19 in lightwieght rims. Something like the Harmmon Rims For BMW if only those would fit. Can you guys post brands and with price would be good. also im a student so perfer to stay under 3000 dollars thanks

Last edited by Gs430Boi; 05-06-04 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-06-04, 05:24 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you want lightweight but yet you want those Hamann wheels. If I am not mistaken, Hamann wheels are one of the most heavy wheels out there.

You can check the following website:

www.work-wheels.co.jp - Work Wheels
www.speedstar.co.jp - SSR
www.rayswheels.co.jp - Volk Racing and others
www.fabulous.co.jp - Fabulous

Do the $3,000 budget including the tires? If yes, it will be tough for you to get the size you want with the above brand. If its not including the tires, then you are in good shape. Of course, if you are willing to pay a few hundred more, I have a set of brand new SSR 3 pieces wheels for sale right now (you can check the classified for detail).

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 05-08-04 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-06-04, 06:33 PM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

ooo I thought they were pretty light to be on BMW I thought they were also made for racing well my mistake
thanks for the correction and the info
Old 05-06-04, 08:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nah, hamann wheels are very heavy, if you want performance forget them

so you want 3 pieces light weight? works and ssr and bbs, all pretty good. hre is a bit heavier but still pretty nice for 3 pieces i believe
Old 05-07-04, 06:19 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

You should check out the wheel classifieds section because there is an almost brand new set of 19" staggered SSR wheels and tires for sale..just a suggestion..
Old 05-07-04, 06:23 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by johnee78
You should check out the wheel classifieds section because there is an almost brand new set of 19" staggered SSR wheels and tires for sale..just a suggestion..
thanks johnee

my ssr that might be for sale weigh just a tad under 27lbs for the 19 in .. they weigh about 1lb less then chrome oem very light but forged wheel and very very strong with a polished lip
Old 05-07-04, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

27lb? umm.... that's heavier than i expected then. my hre 20s are 26lb each, 19 is 25.

but also keep in mind. while i don't have solid proof (and i never own ssr), but i have seen a lot of bent ssr
Old 05-07-04, 06:16 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the new HRE Competition Series- 19x9.5 high-disk is 19.5 lbs.
Three-piece, fully forged, Titanium assembly bots... coming soon!!
Old 05-08-04, 05:53 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
27lb? umm.... that's heavier than i expected then. my hre 20s are 26lb each, 19 is 25.

but also keep in mind. while i don't have solid proof (and i never own ssr), but i have seen a lot of bent ssr
uhhh i dont really think so rom but then again any rim including the almighty hre and fiske can bend just as well.. no rim is bend or damage proof , heck look at the other thread a few days ago about a hre wheel cracking at the weld or seems or something...

i have had my ssr for almost a year,, the build quality is spectacular the finish exceptional , ask jjacrami up in boston why he chose ssr and to me this guy knows quality and can just about afford to buy any wheel he wants

hre's are the benchmark and fiske but some of us peasants dont see or feel the need to drop 6k on a rotating mass of metal that will get beaten up one way or another ..

ssr (speedstar racing) out of japan builds high end forged true 3 piece wheels and i am happy with them
Old 05-08-04, 09:01 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Hamann PG3s on my bimmer were heavy as heck even though they were 3-pc. My suggestion for deep fat lips are the Garson Ryugi!!!!

Due to the spoke design, you will get some serious lip action. Grrr, I always hate to show off new JDM wheels because before I know it, everyone on the block will own one......
Old 05-08-04, 09:48 AM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Check the new HRE Competition Series- 19x9.5 high-disk is 19.5 lbs.
Three-piece, fully forged, Titanium assembly bots... coming soon!!
How much are these
Old 05-09-04, 12:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by lexforlife
uhhh i dont really think so rom but then again any rim including the almighty hre and fiske can bend just as well.. no rim is bend or damage proof , heck look at the other thread a few days ago about a hre wheel cracking at the weld or seems or something...

i have had my ssr for almost a year,, the build quality is spectacular the finish exceptional , ask jjacrami up in boston why he chose ssr and to me this guy knows quality and can just about afford to buy any wheel he wants

hre's are the benchmark and fiske but some of us peasants dont see or feel the need to drop 6k on a rotating mass of metal that will get beaten up one way or another ..

ssr (speedstar racing) out of japan builds high end forged true 3 piece wheels and i am happy with them
easy easy, i am not saying hre is perfect at all. i have seen bent hre too, it's not biggie, and not surprising

but over the forums i have read, i did see quite a few ssr (specially gt3) bent, so i am just speaking from what i have seen. could be chances but i don' tknow. my friend gsnav he bent 3 of his 4 gt3
Old 05-09-04, 07:35 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

TOo bad you want multi piece. 19 inch Volk monoblocks are around 18-19 lbs each. CE28 and TE37's. I think I'm going with TE37's in mercury silver. A bit more unstated. VERY VERY strong. Good enough for me.
Old 05-09-04, 07:46 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
easy easy, i am not saying hre is perfect at all. i have seen bent hre too, it's not biggie, and not surprising

but over the forums i have read, i did see quite a few ssr (specially gt3) bent, so i am just speaking from what i have seen. could be chances but i don' tknow. my friend gsnav he bent 3 of his 4 gt3

i hope you did not get the wrong impression of my reply henry

all i was syaing that out of all the threads i have read hear and on bimmerforums and e46.com (those guys run tons of ssr gt3 ) not on single bad issue or bending problem...i have read a thread hear from a guy who had a porche who bent his control arm hitting a pothole and no damage to his wheel.. i drive fast and hard and i drive without worry for i know they are strong
Old 05-09-04, 08:55 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I think forged wheels would be your answer, my 20s weigh 26lbs like Rom's, and are very strong. Keep in mind you have options when it comes to forged wheels, HRE, iForged, and DPEWheels are just a few that have been getting alot of exposure lately. There are also some other newer companies like Symbolic, and R1, but I have not heard customer testimonials for these brands

The SSR issue is with the lip I believe, not the enitre wheel. I think the center is forged and the lip is cast, SSR produces a high quality product but no one is perfect (as Rom illustrated).

Good luck man.

Quick Reply: Fair gentlemen, I need your assistance on 19 inch lightweight wheel selection