Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > The Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


SO-3 vs. F1 GS-D3

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-04, 08:16 PM   #1
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,054
Question SO-3 vs. F1 GS-D3

Need some help. I am planning to replace my SO-3 tires in about 6 to 8 months from now. I have been reading some good review of the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. Mostly on the ride quality and noise. As I was looking at the specs on TireRack I notice that the tread width of the GS-D3 is much narrower than the SO-3. I would guess this will make the side wall from the edge of the rim to curve inward toward the edge of the tread. With my current SO-3 the side walls are almost vertical and the edge of the tread is almost at the edge of the rim. Hopefully you guys can understand what I am describing. Having the tread width almost equal to the section width or rim will make the tire squared in shape when view from the rear. Which I like this look. Don't like the tire to look that it is being stretched which I guess the GS-D3 is going to look.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...+Pole+Position

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...Eagle+F1+GS-D3

From the above sites I obtain the following specs for the two tires.

Section Width:
245/40YR18 SO-3: 10" GS-D3: 9.7"
275/35YR18 SO-3: 10.9" GS-D3: 10.9" (GS-D3 only in ZR)

Tread Width:
245/40YR18 SO-3: 9" GS-D3: 7.8"
275/35YR18 SO-3: 10.2" GS-D3: 8.8" (GS-D3 only in ZR)

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SECTION/TREAD WIDTH:
245/40YR18 SO-3: -1" GS-D3: -1.9"
275/35YR18 SO-3: -0.7" GS-D3: -2.1"

Does anyone have any picture of with the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 on a 18"x8.5" and 18"x9.5" rims?

Chu...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
2013 GS350 F-Sport: Obsidian w/Flaxen Leather | NAV | ML Audio | HUD | PCS | BSMS | IPA | DHS.DRS | Vossen CV4 Polished/Silver 20"x9" +38 & 20"x10.5" +45 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R20 & 275/30R20 | RS*R Super Down Springs

Last edited by ChuH; 04-22-04 at 08:18 PM..
ChuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 09:10 PM   #2
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 78,993
Default

personally i won't get so3. with some horror stories i heard recently about the so3 (you can find links in this forum too), i would avoid them until they tell us what's wrong
__________________
Yes, I drove it. The great feeling of boiling blood.
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 09:48 PM   #3
Lexkost
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexkost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Simi Valley ,CA
Posts: 2,015
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by rominl
personally i won't get so3. with some horror stories i heard recently about the so3 (you can find links in this forum too), i would avoid them until they tell us what's wrong
The handling with the SO3 was great, but the noise as the miles got on them was terrible!!
__________________
96 Green LS
Lexkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 09:52 PM   #4
Lexkost
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexkost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Simi Valley ,CA
Posts: 2,015
Default Re: SO-3 vs. F1 GS-D3

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuH
Need some help. I am planning to replace my SO-3 tires in about 6 to 8 months from now. I have been reading some good review of the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. Mostly on the ride quality and noise. As I was looking at the specs on TireRack I notice that the tread width of the GS-D3 is much narrower than the SO-3. I would guess this will make the side wall from the edge of the rim to curve inward toward the edge of the tread. With my current SO-3 the side walls are almost vertical and the edge of the tread is almost at the edge of the rim. Hopefully you guys can understand what I am describing. Having the tread width almost equal to the section width or rim will make the tire squared in shape when view from the rear. Which I like this look. Don't like the tire to look that it is being stretched which I guess the GS-D3 is going to look.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...+Pole+Position

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...Eagle+F1+GS-D3

From the above sites I obtain the following specs for the two tires.

Section Width:
245/40YR18 SO-3: 10" GS-D3: 9.7"
275/35YR18 SO-3: 10.9" GS-D3: 10.9" (GS-D3 only in ZR)

Tread Width:
245/40YR18 SO-3: 9" GS-D3: 7.8"
275/35YR18 SO-3: 10.2" GS-D3: 8.8" (GS-D3 only in ZR)

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SECTION/TREAD WIDTH:
245/40YR18 SO-3: -1" GS-D3: -1.9"
275/35YR18 SO-3: -0.7" GS-D3: -2.1"

Does anyone have any picture of with the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 on a 18"x8.5" and 18"x9.5" rims?

Chu...
These look great:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1+GS-D3#Survey
__________________
96 Green LS
Lexkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 10:31 PM   #5
redgs4
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
redgs4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,808
Default

What type of pictures are you looking for? I run 18x8.8/9.5 and I just recently replaced my S-03's with GS-D3's. Yes, the S-03's have a squarer side wall and IMO look better, but it's not something that jumps out at you. I have some pics in my gallery, anything after the February tire cupping picture is on the Goodyears.
__________________
http://www.
redgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 11:24 PM   #6
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by redgs4
What type of pictures are you looking for? I run 18x8.8/9.5 and I just recently replaced my S-03's with GS-D3's. Yes, the S-03's have a squarer side wall and IMO look better, but it's not something that jumps out at you. I have some pics in my gallery, anything after the February tire cupping picture is on the Goodyears.
Hi redgs4:

How do you like the GS-D3 so far when compare to the S-03? Pictures from the rear where you would view the tread where it meets road surface. With 275 the sidewall would curve in. I wonder if I could go with 285 on the rear sidewall to make it more square? Also, of the front tire if available. With the S-03 being that it is more square the sidewall seems to give better rim protection.

Would appreciate if you have any close up pictures.

Thanks,

Chu...
__________________
2013 GS350 F-Sport: Obsidian w/Flaxen Leather | NAV | ML Audio | HUD | PCS | BSMS | IPA | DHS.DRS | Vossen CV4 Polished/Silver 20"x9" +38 & 20"x10.5" +45 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R20 & 275/30R20 | RS*R Super Down Springs
ChuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 11:32 PM   #7
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Celsior Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: California
Posts: 861
Send a message via AIM to Celsior Master Send a message via MSN to Celsior Master
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by rominl
personally i won't get so3. with some horror stories i heard recently about the so3 (you can find links in this forum too), i would avoid them until they tell us what's wrong

exactly... just stay away from the S03s (at least for now) it's not worth the trouble or risk
Celsior Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-04, 08:58 AM   #8
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!
Trader Score: (0)
 
Seize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 19,145
Default ...

Here are pics of my wheels... S03's - 285/30/20's on 20 x 10

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hope these pics help

-Seize
__________________
Seize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-04, 09:27 AM   #9
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,054
Default

Sieze:

Your 20's looks great but I am looking for someone with GS-D3 on 18"x8.5" (F) and 18"x9.5" (R) rims. I have already gone through 2 sets of the S03 which I like the look and handling but don't like the noise. What I am looking for is what the GS-D3 would look mounted on the rim size I have.

Chu...
__________________
2013 GS350 F-Sport: Obsidian w/Flaxen Leather | NAV | ML Audio | HUD | PCS | BSMS | IPA | DHS.DRS | Vossen CV4 Polished/Silver 20"x9" +38 & 20"x10.5" +45 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R20 & 275/30R20 | RS*R Super Down Springs
ChuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-04, 10:25 AM   #10
Lexkost
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexkost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Simi Valley ,CA
Posts: 2,015
Default

I replaced my SO3's with Conti extreme contacts and I love these tires super quite...245-40/18's
Attached Images
 
__________________
96 Green LS
Lexkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-04, 03:44 PM   #11
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: So Florida baby
Posts: 6,658
Send a message via MSN to lexforlife
Default

i ahve the goodyears and man do i love them after over 6k of hard driving they still look newq and are quiet and wet weather is awesome sticks like glue the tread pattern is very nice looking as well
__________________
BOOST LIFE IS A WAY OF LIFE
lexforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-04, 01:18 AM   #12
redgs4
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
redgs4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuH
Hi redgs4:

How do you like the GS-D3 so far when compare to the S-03? Pictures from the rear where you would view the tread where it meets road surface. With 275 the sidewall would curve in. I wonder if I could go with 285 on the rear sidewall to make it more square? Also, of the front tire if available. With the S-03 being that it is more square the sidewall seems to give better rim protection.

Would appreciate if you have any close up pictures.

Thanks,

Chu...
1) Honestly, it has taken a few months to get used to the difference. The goodyears seems much quieter but I had a wear problem [severe cupping] with the S-03's that were no fault of the tires. The sidewalls are softer so the car leans a bit more and transitions differently [weight xfer during changes in direction]. I have to run the goodyears a few PSI higher and I'm still not as happy as I was with the S-03. To be fair, there are a lot of potential contributing factors including a major alignment change and broken in tread vs. new.

After nearly three months the tires have broken in and I have gotten used to both the softer sidewall and differences in handling. I'm satisfied although I would choose the S-03's if handling were the only criteria.

2) As for the sidewall curve, I think going to a 285 will actually only increase the curve. And IMO the taller sidewall will hurt handling unless you ride at a very high PSI.

3) I agree, I think the S-03's have better rim protection. But with 18's, there's not a lot there anyway.

Here's what I have of the GSD3's, picture wise.

Chris

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
http://www.
redgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-04, 02:19 PM   #13
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,054
Default

Thanks redgs4:

The pictures of the GS-D3's sidewall doesn't look too bad. Now I just need to make up my mind whether I want better handling or quieter tires. Also I like the UNI-T technology of the Bridgestone which as the tread wears a softer rubber compound is exposed. This keep the traction ability high. How many miles have you have your GS-D3? Does it grip as well as the S0-3?

Chu...
__________________
2013 GS350 F-Sport: Obsidian w/Flaxen Leather | NAV | ML Audio | HUD | PCS | BSMS | IPA | DHS.DRS | Vossen CV4 Polished/Silver 20"x9" +38 & 20"x10.5" +45 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R20 & 275/30R20 | RS*R Super Down Springs
ChuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-04, 09:37 PM   #14
redgs4
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
redgs4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,808
Default

For the first few weeks after I had the GSD3's installed I had zero confidence in the new tires. In combination with the new alignment the tires seems to break free at the oddest times. But only when cornering -- they seemed to have much higher grip off the line as I had a harder time spinning the tires from a standing start. [I could spin the S03's at will.] After a few hundred miles and some spirited driving things changed.

I have to compare the last few months on my S03's to the first few months of my GSD3's. Keeping that in mind, I'd say the GSD3's now have better grip but I like the handling of the S03's. To clarify, the absolute grip of the goodyears is higher but with the combination of sidewall flex and hard to detect break-away my ability to control the car is lower. The S03's had a lower absolute grip but with the harder sidewalls and easily detected and controlled transistion from grip to slip, I could drive these tires with confidence. Matter of fact, I often intentionally forced the tires to break free because they were so easy to control once they broke free -- more fun that way too. I'm sure part of this is simply learning curve. Give me an empty parking lot and a couple of cones [and no cops] and I'm sure I'd be much more confident on the goodyears than I am right now.

I have around 2500 miles on the goodyears now. I had about 15K miles on the S03's before I had to replace them due to noise and uneven wear.
__________________
http://www.

Last edited by redgs4; 04-25-04 at 09:38 PM..
redgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 07:49 PM   #15
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Guam
Posts: 1,054
Default

Hey Chris:

Did you get ZR or YR speed rating for the front? The 275/35 for the rear is only available in ZR. My S03 are both YR. The GS-D3 is available in ZR and YR for 245/40 size and only ZR for the 275/35. Not that I will ever drive 180+ mph but I think the YR are harder rubber. Price for the ZR and YR for the front are the same price for the GS-D3.

Chu...
__________________
2013 GS350 F-Sport: Obsidian w/Flaxen Leather | NAV | ML Audio | HUD | PCS | BSMS | IPA | DHS.DRS | Vossen CV4 Polished/Silver 20"x9" +38 & 20"x10.5" +45 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R20 & 275/30R20 | RS*R Super Down Springs
ChuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 07:49 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info