Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" 3 piece forged wheel for $777 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 09:48 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 20" 3 piece forged wheel for $777 ?

20" 3 piece forged wheel for $777 ?
Attached Thumbnails 20" 3 piece forged wheel for 7 ?-r1-racingrs-4.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well, there are still different kinds of forged.
Old 04-20-04, 03:37 AM
DJTWIST
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice rim Mike and thanks for the hospitality.

Oliver

Last edited by DJTWIST; 04-20-04 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-20-04, 05:32 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE ! ! !

R1 Racing and Symbolic are the same company. Quality Rims.

www.r1racingwheels.com
www.symbolicwheels.com

Last edited by TwentyTen; 04-20-04 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 03:02 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure about their quality but the wheels look amazing but 11 week wait isn't a good thing, my buddy was searching 4 these and they told him 11-13 weeks mayb...
Old 04-21-04, 07:33 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

The Quality has to be good b/c these are 3-piece forged wheels.

Thats the same way Zauber Gettins, L-sportline, Lowenhart, I-Forged, HRE, etc etc are made.

Ted
Old 04-21-04, 08:13 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by ted920
The Quality has to be good b/c these are 3-piece forged wheels.

Thats the same way Zauber Gettins, L-sportline, Lowenhart, I-Forged, HRE, etc etc are made.

Ted
I dont think the Gettins, Lsportline or Lowenharts are forged. 3pc and forged are not synonymous.
Old 04-21-04, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
I dont think the Gettins, Lsportline or Lowenharts are forged. 3pc and forged are not synonymous.
plus, forged doesn't necessarily mean strong for sure. you also have to factor in the material (which aluminum alloy) used, the design, thickness, etc....
Old 04-21-04, 10:14 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

So R1 Racing and Symbolic AREN'T good companies???

Or are you saying that they're just not on the level of HRE? I really like their styles and was under the impression that they were great. I have spent 6 months researching rims to make sure I don't buy something only to find out I spend $3500.oo on cr@p. Let me know if I'm missing something.

This is from their website:

Symbolic Wheels are manufactured with the highest quality. With superior quality and finish, Symbolic wheels are lightweight and made with amazing craftsmanship and style. These multi-piece wheels are triple-chrome plated, giving the wheels their ultimate mirror look. Symbolic Luxury Wheels are designed for the unique individual that likes to stand out from the rest. Our Forged aluminum Multi-Piece wheels are stronger (4000 lbs capacity per wheels), lighter (half the weight of casted), and have a modular construction.
I'm not trying to turn this thread into a war-on-rims; but I'm about to drop close to $4K this summer and want to make sure there will be no regrets. I've already dismissed iForged due to info I found here on CL (6-month waiting period and poor customer support). R1 Racing/Symbolic wheels are on the top-5 list and I don't want to repeat someone elses mistake.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 04-21-04 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-21-04, 12:29 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Darius2004
So R1 Racing and Symbolic AREN'T good companies???

Or are you saying that they're just not on the level of HRE? I really like their styles and was under the impression that they were great. I have spent 6 months researching rims to make sure I don't buy something only to find out I spend $3500.oo on cr@p. Let me know if I'm missing something.

This is from their website:

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a war-on-rims; but I'm about to drop close to $4K this summer and want to make sure there will be no regrets. I've already dismissed iForged due to info I found here on CL (6-month waiting period and poor customer support). R1 Racing/Symbolic wheels are on the top-5 list and I don't want to repeat someone elses mistake.
Darius, Check tihs out:

http://www.dpengineering.cc/

By the way since I work for Boeing ( Space Shuttle Engine ) the business is very slow now alot of these people have gone to these new wheels manufacters ( in California) and are making wheels that are low cost and very high quality and are built with the latest technology...........I know I have toured some of these factories............Boyd ......Boze Alloys....

Last edited by Lexkost; 04-21-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 12:35 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

$600 Boze Alloy Wheel 2 piece Polished T6061 and a cnc machined 2piece cap...........
Attached Thumbnails 20" 3 piece forged wheel for 7 ?-11785my_pictures1-med.jpg  

Last edited by Lexkost; 04-21-04 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 02:15 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info! So does "T6061" mean aircraft quality aluminum?

DPE is on my list of companies By "Boyd" do you mean Boyd Coddington? They're on my list too.

a.) Maya/Maido
b.) R1 Racing/Symbolic
c.) L-Sportline (Model I, V)
d.) SSR ( Sovereign )
e.) DPE (R05, R16, R20)
f.) GFG (GF1-5)
g.) iForged (Local Pick Only)
h.) Boyd Coddington

I like at least one style from all of these companies. Tell me more about Boze, never heard of them...

DPE's on a G35:

Boyd Coddington:
http://www.billetwheel.com/Wheels/Forged/forged.html
Old 04-22-04, 09:26 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Symbolic Wheels are manufactured with the highest quality. With superior quality and finish, Symbolic wheels are lightweight and made with amazing craftsmanship and style. These multi-piece wheels are triple-chrome plated, giving the wheels their ultimate mirror look. Symbolic Luxury Wheels are designed for the unique individual that likes to stand out from the rest. Our Forged aluminum Multi-Piece wheels are stronger (4000 lbs capacity per wheels), lighter (half the weight of casted), and have a modular construction.
Interesting- they say nothing about their engineering... obviously, this is a critical part of making a wheel. In the USA, most people assume that wheels need to pass some type of minimum strength test to be sold. This is not the case- anybody with a slab of aluminum and a milling machine can get into the wheel making business. This is what really ticks me off- people always say "well, the materials are good, and they are three-piece wheels- they must be good quality." It's just not that easy.

It's funny, because I ran into two of the guys from Symbolic at the Long Beach Grand Prix last weekend- I have known one of the guys since he was a customer of mine! I should just say that there is no bad blood between us, more like a friendly rivalry. They are actually really cool guys (we are all "car guys," after all) and we are both pursuing different "types" of customers... one of the guys actually mentioned that they use us as a business model- the other commented that all their stuff looks like ours! I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (?). At the end of the day, the company I work for is at the top of the three-piece wheel market, so it's all good.

On another note, there have been several cases where wheel manufacturers have had wheels fail catastropically on vehicles- even very recently! The "Johnny-come-lately" wheel manufacturers can get around this by paying the "injured party" off and repairing their car- or they can get out of the wheel business as a few already have (even locally in Southern California there are at least two wheel companies who have essentially vanished in the last year). I won't name names because these companies are still making and marketing other automotive products (non wheel-related) that are perfectly safe.

I am amused by the phrase "half the weight of casted." That's getting a bit technical for me... Perhaps they are referring simply to "cast" aluminum? "Casted?" Really?

Sorry for the rant, but as a dedicated employee of a company who has been doing this since 1981, perhaps I take this a bit personally... we are in this for the long-haul, not the quick buck.

Regards,

Bob Hale
Project Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
Old 04-22-04, 09:31 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Off topic I'm so damn jealous of you Cali guys for having one million wheel MANUFACTURERS in your backyards!!!!

Damn you bastids!!!!!
Old 04-22-04, 09:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Off topic I'm so damn jealous of you Cali guys for having one million wheel MANUFACTURERS in your backyards!!!!

Damn you bastids!!!!!
Believe me, it's much worse in Canada. we have to import them too.

Quick Reply: 20" 3 piece forged wheel for $777 ?