Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Beware of Warranty Replacement Ordeal

Old 04-09-04, 10:22 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of Warranty Replacement Ordeal

I purchased a set of Continental ContiExtremeContact tires through The Tire Rack. These tires have a one year or 2/32 of tread Manufacturer Road Hazard warranty. Well, I've got one that needs replacement and this is an ordeal. I'm in a bit of a time crunch, so I thought; why not just take it to a local authorized dealer of Continental to receive warranty service - right? If I had bought the tires from a local dealer in another state and moved here that shouldn't be a problem - that's why you would buy an internationally known name brand, huh? Continental doesn't see it that way. I've been on the phone with them trying to see what needs to be done in order to receive my warranty service and they are really resistant to helping me go to another authorized dealer for service. They actually told me that the one year road hazard warranty expired Dec 31st of 2003 at one point - my purchase was before. (The Tire Rack disputes that the road hazard is still valid on current purchases.)

Anyway, seems that I have two choices - order a new tire from The Tire Rack for $88 + $18 (shipping) and then send the road hazard tire back @ $18 shipping to them and hope that they agree that it is under 'road hazard warranty' to get a $82 credit (original purchase price). That will cost about $42. My other choice as I understand it is to beg a local AUTHORIZED DEALER to honor the manufacturer's warranty and be subjected to paying the cost difference that they offer the tire @ RETAIL. So, if they charge $150 then it's gonna cost $68 or whatever (that's what I was told by The Tire Rack customer service).

Hopefully, I'll run into a cool local dealer that won't be combative about it. I can see paying a reasonable difference to cover their shipping cost back to Continental, but if they are a dealer, what is that really - like $5 a tire?

Anyway, do be sure to know that if you need pro-rated coverage like for a materials and workmanship defect and you are in a crunch you will have to pay the pro-rated amount on the local dealer's RETAIL - Continental customer service was animate about making sure I understood this about Tire Rack purchases because they get complaints or something even though it has nothing to do with my coverage. Them wasting my time to hear about it was added aggravation and confusion to the exchange.

Love the tires though for the price. Quiet as can be. Hated dealing with Continental on a purchase from The Tire Rack. Seems that they despise the fact that you get a great deal from them on the original purchase. It seemed to me like I was being given less than appropriate customer service. In my opinion, they should be pleased that you chose their product and ask how they can help you to find a replacement if covered and not give you grief over where you purchased their product - why do they care? Basically, so far it has seemed to me that they like to offer the warranty as a selling point, but they drag their feet when it comes to owning up to it.

Update: Took the tire to a local dealer. They were totally unaware that the manufacturer even offered any kind of road hazard warranty. Yet to hear what they will do about it, but I did get their retail price: $131. Hopefully they aren't going to try to stick me with paying the difference - I'm not going for that. I know that to you guys spending $2,000 + on your wheels and tires this sounds like no big deal, but it's an issue to me.

I'll update on what the final outcome is. Hopefully all will turn out well.

Last edited by Fastfwd; 04-09-04 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 06:32 PM
SeattleGS400
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the informative write-up. Good, yet disappointing info on the warranty coverage of Continental tires. I guess that was part of the reason I went with Costco for my Michelin Pilot Sport A/A, so I don't have to deal with a diffuse dealer network.

Hope it all works out.
Old 04-12-04, 06:03 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Order #

Fastfwd pls. PM me your order number and billing phone number.