Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What size offset wheel for 98-04 GS

Old 04-08-04, 11:46 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What size offset wheel for 98-04 GS

what size offset is everyone ryding on their GS. is 48 the ideal? I'm lookin at some 19x8.0s
My f/r calipers are stock, so no big brakes

-GS4OOpilot-
Old 04-08-04, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=115165

man you gotta be kidding me @_@
Old 04-09-04, 12:00 AM
RefinedGS
Driver

rominl,
you must get this question alot...-or- you're judging me by your response.
either way...thanks for the help
Old 04-09-04, 12:04 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=115165

man you gotta be kidding me @_@
haha, henry... you are funny. but the funny thing is this, that chart you made is pretty clear, but NO MATTER how many times i read it, im still not sure what offset is... if i had to TRY and sum it up, its basically how far out the rims/tires setup stick out... is that at all right ??
Old 04-09-04, 12:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS4OOpilot
rominl,
you must get this question alot...-or- you're judging me by your response.
either way...thanks for the help
hhahaa man don't take it seriously, i was just kidding. if i really feel fed up i wouldn't even have responded!
Old 04-09-04, 12:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by varcity64
haha, henry... you are funny. but the funny thing is this, that chart you made is pretty clear, but NO MATTER how many times i read it, im still not sure what offset is... if i had to TRY and sum it up, its basically how far out the rims/tires setup stick out... is that at all right ??
umm...... just wondering if you read the link to tirerack that explains what offset is? i think they explained it pretty clear

basically, in my words, offset is the different from the mid point of the wheel to the back of the center hub. if it goes towards the outside, it's positive. otherwise it's negative.
Old 04-09-04, 01:18 AM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, my offset and tire sizes aren't on your chart!!!

lol JK, my specs are not for the faint of heart... lol, and I want to go MORE aggressive than what I have now.
Old 04-09-04, 03:44 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JunctionGS

lol JK, my specs are not for the faint of heart... lol, and I want to go MORE aggressive than what I have now.
Hey! My offset and setup is also not on your chart!!!!!

Like Junction, my specs are also DEFINITELY not for the faint of heart, but he and I definitely have something in common.

I say go for it, bro!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-04, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

damnit that's why i keep on saying mine is only a guideline
Old 04-09-04, 09:45 AM
kirby122
Pole Position

just one question for the guidelines... would it be possible to add to the chart a section for ppl who have big brake kits and need rims to clear the calipers? it was covered in the definitions section, but not sure if it was put into the charts as well?
Old 04-09-04, 10:07 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by kirby122
just one question for the guidelines... would it be possible to add to the chart a section for ppl who have big brake kits and need rims to clear the calipers? it was covered in the definitions section, but not sure if it was put into the charts as well?
Although offset has a bearing on big brakes fitment, it is not the determining factor. The wheel has to be high disc. Other aspects like offset and wheel design are secondary to high disc. The offset chart will not help in terms of big brakes. Even the most aggressive offset will not guarantee big brake fitment.

BTW - I believe there is a planned article on brakes. Not sure when it will be done but stay tuned.

Last edited by Neo; 04-09-04 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-09-04, 10:40 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

True that... if you looked up my rear fitment, it would have an asterisk that says "Sawzall not included!"
20x11 rear coming soon (pending new tires!)...
Old 04-09-04, 10:41 AM
kirby122
Pole Position

Originally posted by Neo
Although offset has a bearing on big brakes fitment, it is not the determining factor. The wheel has to be high disc. Other aspects like offset and wheel design are secondary to high disc. The offset chart will not help in terms of big brakes. Even the most aggressive offset will not guarantee big brake fitment.

BTW - I believe there is a planned article on brakes. Not sure when it will be done but stay tuned.
thanks neo! i'm still learning about offset and all that stuff... so i wasn't sure about it... so in the case of let's say volk gt-c's (which i'm not sure if they have high, med, low disc) you would use the face 2 to clear bigger calipers? (this is just to help me understand the concept a lil better as opposed to myself actually getting the rims)
Old 04-09-04, 11:14 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks neo! i'm still learning about offset and all that stuff... so i wasn't sure about it... so in the case of let's say volk gt-c's (which i'm not sure if they have high, med, low disc) you would use the face 2 to clear bigger calipers? (this is just to help me understand the concept a lil better as opposed to myself actually getting the rims)
Without being high disc, it is pretty difficult to determine brake clearance based on visual assessment. With many non-optimal disc wheels, it is a matter of millimeters so going by looks won't be that accurate. The best thing would be to test the wheel on a car with the big brakes that you want. (This is what I did with the help of CL members.) The next best thing is to try the templates that are available from the different kit manufacturers. (I did this too.)

My L-Tuned wheels are not high disc (-). They have no lip so there is no curving in at the lip (+). It has a very conservative offset: +45 (-). YET, it will clear the StopTech big brake kit. So you can't really tell unless you actually test it. BTW, it will not clear the APs, the Brembos, the Rotora 6-piston, or Supra TT/RMM/TRD.

Last edited by Neo; 04-09-04 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-09-04, 12:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yea, just like neo said, actaully offset has little to do with big brakes clearance. and given the difficulties with the size of all brakes, and the spokes design, and also the offset (yes, read, it has SOMETHING To do with clearance, but very little), it's almost impossible to make a general guideline on that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What size offset wheel for 98-04 GS