Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Axis Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 01:09 AM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

It doesn’t look like it will snow this year in New Jersey. The time has come for me to get new rims Here is the wheel I am looking at http://216.115.239.19/superbuy/pictu...ics/SBT130.JPG they come in 19’s (chrome). I really want 20’s but I just cant do it, with the crappy roads we have here, plus I am worried my car will drive & handle terrible with 20’s. Can someone recommend the correct tire size I should get with these wheels? Does Axis make good quality wheels? Will it be possible to do the l-tuned suspension with 19 inch wheels? And if possible can you post some photos of a gs with 19’s. I am worried they will look small and I will be mad at myself for not getting the 20’s .

Thanks guys
Old 04-03-01, 10:47 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never liked Axis because they always imitate wheel designs. The ones they come up with by themselves are ugly. The wheels you're looking at are Advan Model 5 wannabes. I doubt the qualities.
Old 04-03-01, 10:55 AM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Wink wheels

Well I got a very nice deal on them. 19" chrome with Perelli p7000 (235-35-19) for $2,500 with shipping. I hope they will look good on the car.
Old 04-03-01, 10:59 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up the RACK

check the tirerack.com for all your tire upsizing needs.

personally, i would save up the $$$ for the real, original design wheels. when you spend over $2k, you want quality.
Old 04-03-01, 12:52 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default model 5 wannabes

GlobeCLK,

Wow... Axis pulled off another one. These do look like my Model 5s. Too bad they only come in 19X8.0. Axis claims their rims exceed the Japanese VIA and JWL standards so I assume the construction is good. I don't know how to verify it though. ...and they cost so much less.

Last edited by v300; 04-03-01 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-03-01, 01:06 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Default pics

v300,

can you please post some pics with these wheels on your car? What size do you have?
Old 04-03-01, 02:19 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I complete agree with GlobeCLK, I never liked Axis because they knock-off other wheel designs. Like he said, this is Yokohama Model 5 knock-off. It's a great looking rim, but I would NEVER buy the ones from Axis. Good price or not.

If price was a factor, why buy a REAL Lexus GS when you can get a knock-off GS like the Daewoo Leganza? (I've actually seen one of these with the GS inside rear tailights molded in...from about 30 feet away, it almost looked real)

Also, the Pirelli's you bought...if you were concerned about price (which I assume since you bought Axis instead of the real deal), the P7000 was a bad choice. They only have a UTQG rating of 160AA which means you'll be replacing them soon. Also, why did you pick 235/35? You could have moved up to a 245/35/19 and the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 (with a UTQG of 300AA which should last twice as long as the P7000)...more traction.

As for size, 19" should look fine...and you can not only lower your GS, but you can DUMP it. I'm doing 20's with a 2-2.5" drop. I don't think the L-Tuned suspension will be low enough to tell you the truth...just spend the extra cash and get adjustable coil overs...that way, you can dump it in the summer, and then raise it back up in the winter...Height adjustable suspension is the way to go...that way, you're not "stuck" with something that's too high or too low...

Last edited by Manaray; 04-03-01 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-03-01, 04:31 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

My wheel guy said the same thing, "Are you crazy, Axis wheels on a Lexus?" And this was only for track wheels. My wheel guy knows the Axis guys personally, they're friends, and he doesn't even carry the wheels in his shop! If that is not a strong enough turnoff, I don't know what is. He also thought they aren't that strong, but you can make your own judgement.
Old 04-03-01, 04:36 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb save your $$$

be patient and save for the REAL and TRUE originals.
Old 04-03-01, 07:11 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Question rims

You guys are making me feel bad about my purchase ;(. I really like the looks of these wheels and the price fits my budget. As far as the tires should I call the place and ask them to mount them on 245-35-19’s instead and what tire brand should I pick instead of the Perelli p7000’s. I need some advise as you guys know more about this then me. Thanks
Old 04-03-01, 07:56 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Deniska,

You already bought them??? You should have waited to hear from some people! Honestly, I would find out about getting a refund.

Like I always say, don't rush into buying things to fix up your car. If you don't have enough to get what you want, save up and do the car right! Don't half *** it or it'll look like a half-assed car. Lexus cars are not half-***, so why put on aftermarket parts that are?

The LOOKS of the wheel are fine. Yokohama wheels are the most copied designs in the world, but what you bought are KNOCK-OFFs. You can get the REAL Yokohama's and not only have the LOOK, but the QUALITY. You can't buy rims just on looks....and buying knock off rims is rather cheezy IMO. Even if I was fixing up a Civic, I would not buy some knock-off rims.

Anyways, for 245/35-19, I would buy the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4. They're $263/ea at Tire Rack and they have them in stock. Great tires, too bad they don't make a size that fits my needs. I'm running Nittos (which are great anyways)...Pirelli's (with an "i" after the "P" ) are more hype and marketing than anything else.

Try to get a refund on the rims and don't listen to what the seller has to say about the quality and "brand image"...

For $2550 ($2250 for the set plus $300 to repair the one rim), I would have bought the USED HRE's instead that are on sale in the classified section...that's a smokin' deal!

Old 04-03-01, 08:25 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Default wheels

manaray,

I will order the Michelins instead. As far as the wheels I will probably keep them for the summer. You dont live in New York I assume rims dont last very long with the roads we have. Thats why I chose a wheel that was not to expensive so if something happens it wont set me back to far. I am 20 years old and half to pay for the car and the rims plus all my other expenses so money is an issue . Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-03-01, 09:00 PM
kodai
Driver

AXIS wheels are not all that bad. Me personly i like the high end stuff like HRE Wheels, but maybe that those type of wheels are not for every one. My friend has the new 3pcs 19 on his gs 400. It does not look bad. Check out his car below. And yes he did get them "CHEAP" as some of you might know i hate the word cheap. i do not believe in cutting corners but the right price was there.
Attached Thumbnails Axis Wheels-gs4s73.jpg  
Old 04-03-01, 11:05 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

DeniskaGS4,

No doubt the wheels you got are NICE LOOKING. Any brand's wheels can be good looking if they all came from the same design. Just count how many RacingHart C5 wannabes there are. Too many to list. Hey they all look good, but who knows the quality?

V300 mentioned that Axis claims their rims exceed the Japanese VIA and JWL standards. How do we know? Who's going to go to Japan and actually measure the rigidity? Hey if they really claim that and sell their wheels in Japan, who's gonna get the Axis over Advan or Volk? (Maybe the integra non-type Rs.)

Nothing wrong with your taste in wheels man, and we all understand that the money involved is tremendous. Real 19' Advan Model 5s with tires can easily cost over $3300 ~ $3500. It's just that from the notorious name AXIS most Lexus people stay away from it.....
Old 04-03-01, 11:49 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Default Axis

Those rims LOOK great on the GS. The Axis Se7en is great looking rim, but instead of buying knock-offs, I would have bought the original (see the picture below, DazzMatiz/Intensive Hunk on the right, Axis Se7en on the left...hmmm, I wonder where Axis got the idea from?)

I suppose if the Axis were GIVEN to me (or sold to me at $100 each), I would use them (actually, I would sell them!). The DazzMatiz (or Intensive Hunk as they're known in Japan) not only looks better, but it's made better.

Honestly, I think the extra money spent on the Matiz would have been worth it. I mean would you buy a Fake Rolex to sport with your Lexus? Fake Rolex + Civic, ok, I can see that (a lot), but if you have the dough for a Lexus, you should have the dough for some good rims. Otherwise, you're living beyond your means.

Kodai, I love your HRE's !
Attached Thumbnails Axis Wheels-dmvas.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 04-04-01 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Axis Wheels