Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ot Continental Extreme Contact for SC430

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 10:10 AM
CaptPJB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Continental Extreme Contact for SC430?

It is about time to repalce the Bridgestone Run Flats on my SC430. Have narrowed the choices down to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Continental Extreme Contacts. Comparing specs the tires are very similar so my question is are the Michelins worth the almost $100 more each? The old adage you get what you pay for makes me hesitant to buy the Continentals but a saving of $400 is significant. Any comments or help would be appreciated.

Last edited by CaptPJB; 03-23-04 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-22-04, 11:59 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I would say...

The Conti's are a better value but the Michelins are a better tire.
Old 03-22-04, 02:08 PM
CaptPJB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Brandon. My main criteria is for a quiet smooth ride rather than ultimate performance as I regard the car as a cruiser. My Bridgestone's have become very noisy as they have worn and although they have a good bit of meat left on them the noise factor is irritating me. Do you have any comments on noise on either of these two tires as they wear?

Thanks in advance
Peter
Old 03-22-04, 02:13 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ride

Sure, both have a smooth and comfortable ride quality through the life of the tread.
Old 03-23-04, 01:45 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my 01 Maxima and they were fantastic! but as mentioned they are quite pricy. I considered the conti's but they were not available in my size so I had no choice but to go with the Michelin. Haven't had a better tire in the rain than the Pilot's & snow traction was impressive. They rate the conti's highly as well on tirerack, but personally haven't experenced them, but the price is more attractive for sure whatever one you decide to go with in the end, it's a good idea to get a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 03-25-04, 05:10 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the A/S right now....love them...awesome dry traction....very sticky on wet traction. I get lots of compliments by other owners of low profile tires....the can't believe my 19s are actually 19s....most think I got dubs on there....mainly cuz the the tires are more beefy. Very smooth and surprisingly quiet...esp since I got them pumped up to 48 psi...hard as rocks.

Personally, I don't mess with tires....plus...you already probably paying about $1K for tires...right? What's $400 more for even better tires.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 03-25-04 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-03-04, 06:50 AM
jjc01
Rookie

I have the A/S Pilots on my GS4 and because I went from a 16 to an 18” rim (hence a much lower profile tire), I expected to have a significant deterioration in the ride quality, but that did not happen. In fact I am very pleased with the quality of the comfort level of the ride and road noise (still low mileage) is minimal. Though I have no experience with the Continental E.C.s, I can tell you I am very happy with every aspect of the Michelin A/S Pilot Sports.
Old 04-03-04, 10:55 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I've got the MP's on my 19's. They are pretty quiet and provide great traction. It doesn't rain here much but when it does there is a lot of oil build up on the road and these tires do a great job of sticking.
Old 04-03-04, 01:48 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've got the michelin pilot sports all season. they are pricey but i'm very happy with them. even when the roads are wet they grip like crazy. ( i live in seattle and we get lots of wet days ) on dry roads they are even better.

i have found out to often that when i try to save money on something that i end up wishing i had just bit the bullet and bought the best product available.

3dog
Old 04-03-04, 03:37 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Dumb question, but are these tires directional ?
Old 04-04-04, 02:30 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by 1niceride
Dumb question, but are these tires directional ?
Both tires are directional.

My only experience with the 2 is w/ the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Awesome tire in the dry (esp. around very hard corners), haven't tried them in the wet yet, but should hold up great. Relatively quiet and very good ride for a performance tire. A bit expensive ($204 each mounted and balanced (including road hazard warranty), out the door from Costco). If these hold up for 3 years of use, I'll be happy.
Old 04-04-04, 03:50 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Awesome tire in the dry (esp. around very hard corners), haven't tried them in the wet yet, but should hold up great.
I thought it rained like every hour in Seattle. You must never leave the house.
Old 04-04-04, 04:39 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Vegassc400
I thought it rained like every hour in Seattle. You must never leave the house.
Good one

Actually, I got the Michelins on about 12 days ago (when I was in Idaho), but it hasn't rained here in Seattle yet, which is surprising this time of year (near constant rain from October to May with an occasional sunbreak). Anyways, picking a tire with good wet traction must be a high priority in the arid climate of Las Vegas

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 04-04-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 07:30 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Conti's

I have my second set of Extreme Contacts. I am running them on the stock GS 17s and they replaced Pilot SPorts, not A/S though. If you believe that the difference between the Pilot Sport and the Pilot Sport A/S is minimal then this may help. My two cents...

The Pilots were much stickier, like Brandon says, they are hands down a better tire. The sidewall is stiffer and they were quiet through the life of the tire. Loved them, but needed and all season. Tried the AVSdbs, liked them but they sucked in the snow unless they are brand new. I only got 22K miles on the Pilots and AVSdbs.

Picked the Extreme Contacts and I am happy with the comprimise. They are predictable when you are at the limit, traction is good, but not great. Worse than AVSdb, much worse than Pilots, but still good enough to press hard and have plenty of fun on the street. The tread wear has been terrific, I expect to get closer to 40K miles from them and they seem to be wearing pretty evenly. I run them high, about 38 in the front and 36 in the rear. Since I drive 30-40K miles a year, this was important to me.

Snow traction is outstanding, and with the new LSD, I have a year round car now. They seem softer (probably the sidewall) than the Pilots, and you need to run them at a higher pressure to keep them from wandering IMHO. Dry traction and hydroplaning resistance are great, wet traction is OK.

Overall, definitely a step down from the Pilots, the only other one I considered was the Nero, but thought the snow performance would have been on par with the AVSdb and not the Contis.

For the money, they are hard to beat. For anSC owner, and guessing your checking account balance, I would probably go with the Pilot A/S. Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-06-04, 09:28 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Anyways, picking a tire with good wet traction must be a high priority in the arid climate of Las Vegas
It definately was a concern believe it or not. If you've ever been here when it rains you'd know why. The roads get very slippery from the oil build up. My first set of performance tires (I use that term loosely) were a set of Toyos. They would not hook up in the rain at all. I'd have to drive my Eclipse sometimes it was so bad. People also drive like total morons in the rain here. 2 weeks ago it rained and there were about 100 accidents in 2 hours. Any extra grip meant being able to avoid these idiots. MP's all the way.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ot Continental Extreme Contact for SC430