Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Top 6 Max Performance and Top 6 Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires!

Old 03-09-04, 10:04 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top 6 Max Performance and Top 6 Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires!

Ok here is a list of the top 6 max performance tires in my humble opinion. I base this opinion on having driven on these tires mostly on IS 300's (our old test cars) and 2003 BMW 330Ci coupes (our new test cars). We have a test track here that has a slalom, a skid pad and and a sharp brake and turn. These are max performance tires and this track allows me to test the tires at its limits of cornering, traction, response and braking. These tires are not designed for the best ride quality but instead the best performance.

My primary considerations are as follows when judging performance

A) Lap Times
B) How the tire responds to steering input
C) How it breaks off on the skid pad and in the slalom.
D) Wet traction (we have sprinklers)

Note: This list is limited to the brands that we sell and does not include Toyo, Falken, or Nitto.

Top 6 Max Performance Tires:

1)Michelin Pilot sport PS2

Simply awesome. Most sizes are now available and this tire rocks. Check out the numbers...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...nextGen_c.html

Pilot PS2

2) Bridgestone Potenza S03 Pole Position.

Very nice. UNI T AQ2 technology. Very responsive, I personally turn very fast lap times on these and I really like the way they break off. Wet traction is awesome.

S03 Pole

3) Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3.

Everything I said about the S03 applies to these tires. I just happen to like the way the S03 breaks a little better.

Eagle F1 GS-D3

4) Michelin Pilot Sport.

Nice, used to be my #2 until the GSD3 came out.

Pilot Sport

5) Pirelli PZero Nero.

Surprisingly good, best tire Pirelli has come out with in awhile also new like the GSD3.

P Zero Nero

6) Yokohama AVS Sport

Very responsive excellent dry traction and check out that cool tread pattern, almost worth buying them for that.

AVS Sport

Honorable Mention:

BFG G Force TA KD

Favorite of the 2003 1 Lap winners but don't try and drive this tire in the wet.

G Force TA KD

I hope this helps and I may continue to revise this list as needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here is a list of the top 6 ultra high performance A/S tires in my humble opinion. I base this opinion on having driven on these tires mostly on IS 300's (our old test cars) as well as 03 BMW 330ci's. We have a test track here that has a slalom, a skid pad and and a sharp brake and turn. These are performance A/S tires and this track allows me to test the tires at its limits of cornering, traction, response and braking. These tires are not designed for the best ride quality but instead the best performance combined with light all-season traction.

My primary considerations are as follows when judging performance A/S tires.

A) Lap Times
B) How the tire responds to steering input
C) How it breaks off on the skid pad and in the slalom.
D) Wet traction (we have sprinklers)
E) Light snow and ice traction.

Note: This list is limited to the brands that we sell and does not include Toyo, Falken, or Nitto.

Top 6 Ultra High Performance A/S Tires:

1)Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Simply the best. Michelin has made a tire with superb performance AND light snow and ice traction. This tire also rides very well.

2)Yokohama AVS DB2

I turn very fast times on this tire and they break off very consistently at the limit. .

3)Bridgestone RE950 (V or W rated)

In the higher speed ratings these tires are very nice. Also with Uni T ATQ II technology these have excellent wet traction throughout the tread life.

4)Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S

Very nice on the track but these will have marginal snow and ice traction.

5)Conti Extreme Contact

Excellent ride, good performer, and of the tires listed this will have the best snow and ice traction. Its also very reasonably priced.

6) Sumitomo HTR+

Surprisingly competitive with the more well known brands this tire is probably the best tire Sumitomo makes. Rock bottom pricing make this tire attractive to the value shoppers.

Honorable Mention:

Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z

These tires are technically not a performance A/S tire they are a grand touring A/S tire but they are excellent performers and they compete often times with the Michelin A/S because both are available in many Lexus 17 inch wheel option sizes. I thought they were worth mentioning especially for you GS and LS guys that want the best combination of ride and performance.