Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Americas/Discount Tires Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 09:38 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Americas/Discount Tires Nightmare

To all who have end wheels, I strongly recommend steering clear of these shops.

I have had a hell of a time having my SO3's properly mounted on my 19" HRE's. They have punctured the silicone seal (once, possibly twice now) on the outer lip, resulting in air leakage. Thay have chipped the clear coat in four different places on a newly repaired lip, and have torn the outer tire bead in two place on my new tires.

Needless to say they are replacing the tire, but I will not allow then to work on my wheels/tires again. So be very cautious when considering these shops.

I am in the process of having my wheel redone by our friends at HRE and I am looking for a referal to another installer. Any suggestions for a shop in SoCal (949) would be appreciated. Sorry to vent but I am at my wits end...

Doug
Old 02-27-04, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

boy, my tires were mounted by america tires in that area (close to the junction of 5 and 405) and everything was perfect...
Old 02-28-04, 10:12 PM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

Default Re: Americas/Discount Tires Nightmare

Originally posted by GS4DOUGIE
To all who have end wheels, I strongly recommend steering clear of these shops.

I have had a hell of a time having my SO3's properly mounted on my 19" HRE's. They have punctured the silicone seal (once, possibly twice now) on the outer lip, resulting in air leakage. Thay have chipped the clear coat in four different places on a newly repaired lip, and have torn the outer tire bead in two place on my new tires.

Needless to say they are replacing the tire, but I will not allow then to work on my wheels/tires again. So be very cautious when considering these shops.

I am in the process of having my wheel redone by our friends at HRE and I am looking for a referal to another installer. Any suggestions for a shop in SoCal (949) would be appreciated. Sorry to vent but I am at my wits end...

Doug
that sucks! i remember another member do-luck sc had a mishap with America's Tire as well. I would PM him if you need some help to have them pay for EVERYTHING!
Old 02-29-04, 07:52 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

I got my tires installed at Americas Tire in Lake Forest. They did a great job, no scratches, but the wait was long. My wheels coming out unscathed took precedence, so I didnt mind the wait. Just make sure to request someone with experience installing tires on high end wheels.

America's Tire Co
Address: 22765 Aspan St, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Phone: (949) 472-8840
Old 03-01-04, 09:33 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default I guess mine was isolated

I hear you Mr. Who.

My problem is tha the equipment they use for anything bigger than 19 is obsolete. After conferring with SoCalSC4, our resident HRE wheel man, I understand that there is better mounting machines avail. at other high end wheels shops. These newer machines do not require a tire tech to use a steel bar to stretch the tire over the outer lip (which results in lips scratchesand ripped tire beads) and is completely automated.

My understanding is that Wheel Warehouse in Fullerton has this type of mounting machine. When Americas Tire provides me with my new tire (they have been very stand up) I intend to trek to Fullerton for mounting. Americas Tire will continue to get my business for my 95 Astro Van, but I will no longer roll the dice with my 19" HRE's. My blood pressure, and wife will thank me.

Doug

Proceed with caution, 19 and 20" wheel owners...
Old 03-01-04, 01:33 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installer

Try one of our recommended installers, just enter your zip code...

Installers

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 03-01-04 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 02:09 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default New tires

Brandon-

The tire these guys messed up where the ones I just bought form you two weeks ago. Thanks for the great service and prompt delivery. Tires delivered 3 days after I ordered-

Doug