Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

whine come from the front of the car, it's not a starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 07:37 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone had this particular problem?

not sure if this belongs in the brakes section but, when i start the car i hear a whine come from the front of the car, it's not a starter whine but a noise that comes from a pump located in the center of the dash( under the hood)and after a first few seconds after starting the car and cruising off,you can hear the pump groaning(like a motor with a lack of fluid sound). after about 8 seconds of this, while the car is in motion-(the speed i'm traveling doesn't matter) the amber trac light comes on-(not the trac off button).
i was told that the abs pump is going bad and supposedly contaminated the braking system,causing the master cylinder to also become faulty(i have a low brake pedal) thus keeping the car from stopping properly. Anyone been through this? any insight?
Old 02-26-04, 12:53 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

that happened to one of our cars. the belts need to be oiled/greased or replaced. only when you start the car and some times can last for like 2-3 minutes and just goes away while driving. it was our alternator belt but it sounds like its just a belt prob. i think. hope that helps a little nextlevel

-abboushi
Old 02-26-04, 08:55 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound like your power steering pump going out.
JPI
Old 02-27-04, 10:26 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the responses guys,but it's neither..... its not a belt noise and could not be these problems mentioned because of the location of the noise. Whatever pump is actuating,comes on for 8 sec then trips the trac light(disabling the pump). the only thing that makes sense is the abs pump.
Old 03-07-04, 08:41 AM
mamurra2
Rookie

I have the same thing happening on my car, it started doing it after about an hour of trying to fight my way through snow one night. It definately seems brake related because when the pumping sound cycles you can feel it it the brake pedal. It seems like the ABS light would come on though if it was a problem with that...
While I was under the hood the other day I noticed a sticker on top of the brake booster that said something about bleeding the TRAC system, it said refer to the FSM for details...anyone with a service manual want to look it up?

Marshall
Old 03-07-04, 09:36 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one for 96 SCs and I'm happy to provide you with those procedures. I'll do it later when I get home (about 5 PM eastern). Leave a reply here if you find the right year in the meantime.

Hey Marshall, where in VA are you?

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-07-04 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 01:27 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Ok, heres the top part of the page
Attached Thumbnails whine come from the front of the car, it's not a starter-tracbleedt.jpg  
Old 03-07-04, 01:30 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

And heres the bottom part.

I tried to upload the whole thing in higher res to my gallery but thats not working today. If the pics aren't clear, PM me your emal and I'll send you the hi-res file.
Attached Thumbnails whine come from the front of the car, it's not a starter-tracbleedb.jpg