Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Polished WHEELS. Stainless

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-04, 05:13 PM
floyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished WHEELS. Stainless

Anyone have any feedback on the polished stainless wheels? How do they look compaired to Chrome, some say looks the same..WHAT do You all THINK?

Floyd
Old 02-14-04, 05:22 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Polished looks like chrome, as long as there is no chrome around! Polish has a good look to it but it is harder to maintain (if your detail oriented like that). For a good example look at some pics of Bluelex's Zauber Gettins, the spokes are chrome, but the lip is high polished, it is easy to see the difference in depth.

Some nice looking polished wheels are TTurboPimps HREs, PM him and see what he does to keep em shiny!!

USA chrome is VERY easy to maintain, pretty much wipe and buff, with the occasional chrome polish for fun.
Old 02-14-04, 09:53 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

I'm partial to polish.

Henry and I have had many discussions concerning the polishing of wheels. If the wheels do not have a clearcoat and are only polish, you can surpass the look of chrome with a LOT, i repeat, A LOT of work!

Then again, after D see's this... he might have to disagree a bit.

-Anthony
Old 02-15-04, 09:30 AM
floyd
Driver School Candidate

These are Polished Stainless.....

I am having trouble picking between thes AT double face from tire rack or the Antera 309 Chrome..

OPINIONS WANTED....

FLOYD
Old 02-15-04, 09:47 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Captain Bone
I'm partial to polish.
Then again, after D see's this... he might have to disagree a bit.
Yeah Ant I know ur on the polished team . I actually had been researching this myself last year when the iForged bagan getting popular, I inquired about a set of 20" Flux in hi polished, and that's when I learned about the work involved with keeping them looking brandnew. I kinda have an idea because my wheels have a different chrome finish and I have to use quick wax when I clean them to avoid swirls or a light haze,

Is the polished metal on harley's non clearcoated? Because that stuff is MAXBLING ;eek2:. What kind of maintenence is required for non clearcoated polished?
Old 02-15-04, 02:32 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by floyd
[B)
I am having trouble picking between thes AT double face from tire rack or the Antera 309 Chrome..

OPINIONS WANTED....

FLOYD [/B]
No question about it. Go with the Anteras. The AT look cheap.
Old 02-15-04, 04:02 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Is the polished metal on harley's non clearcoated? Because that stuff is MAXBLING ;eek2:. What kind of maintenence is required for non clearcoated polished?
Me and henry have discussed it and I'd say to keep them looking their best... Once a week polishing them up after a quick spray and dry. I think it's worth it.

-Anthony
Old 02-15-04, 04:36 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Captain Bone
Me and henry have discussed it and I'd say to keep them looking their best... Once a week polishing them up after a quick spray and dry. I think it's worth it.
man you are SERIOUSLY throwing me off!! Do you mean Rom when you say Henry, or someone else? LOL

I hear ya about the polishing, I thought that may be it. That is a commitment that only a few people could make (namely detail freaks like myself and obviously you), since you have to do it each time to keep them looking their best!! LOL

I really wanted PIMP to come on and share his detailing regimen for his wheels, that would probably help you out as well

Are your new rollers clearcoated or non?
Old 02-15-04, 06:21 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

POLISHED wheels are so much work to maintain....CHROME is so easy and always brighter then polished wheels.
Old 02-17-04, 02:31 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stainless

The ATI Double Face is clear coated so it is very easy to keep clean. Pick whichever you like the look of the best but rest assured we don't sell anything that isn't cleared.
Old 02-17-04, 03:43 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did someone request the Pimp?

Ok, I have owned both chrome and now polished, in this same style HRE wheel...so here's my experience/ opinion on the differences between the two.

The chrome is easier to take care of in some ways, and harder in others. The chrome will pretty much wipe clean with minimal effort, BUT chrome is also easier to "F" up. If you damage a chrome wheel, you will either be replacing it, or sending it out to get re chromed....which is not quick or cheap to do. If you plan on driving the car with the wheels on it in the winter, forget about chrome....once salt, or for that matter brake dust, starts to pit the chrome....it will only get worse from there. Trust me, it doesnt take much salt to ruin a chrome wheel....I know!! Chrome also has a certain "bling" affect to it also, and some will throw out the concept of added weight and possible weakening of the metal during the chroming process.....these last two dont mean much to me....but it has been said in the past. Last thing to think about, if your buying a three piece wheel...do you chrome the lip or not? Most will say no due to the way the process will weaken the lip, and if you curb the wheel your, once again, "F:'d.

Polished wheels can look as good or better than chrome IF you take care of them. You see how my current HRE's looked when I first got them, they pretty much still look the same. You can get high polished wheels with clearcoat, if you do that, they are just about as easy to clean as the chrome. The clearcoat really makes them wipe clean pretty easily. As you see, I had my inner barrels polishedas well....they are clearcoated to keep the cleaning to a minimum. I went with a clearcoated face and inner barrell, with a non clear coated lip. I have to stay on top of the lip, polish at least once every other week.....every week would be preferred, but I dont drive the car much...so every other week for me. the clearcoated parts are easy to keep clean. If I had to do it all over again, I would have skipped the clearcoat, and just stayed on top of the polishing....reason being, you can polish the **** out of them and have them blinging.....the clear takes a little bit of that away, but most would not notice like I do. I also went with clear on the face becasue of the mesh pattern, it would be a ***** to keep up on...if it was a different style, there would have been no question to skip the clear.

All things considered, I like the polished better, and I if I did it all over again....I would go with polished again. I personally think the polished looks a little better than chrome as well....but hey, thats just my opinion.

EIther way you go, you will be happy Im sure.

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 02-17-04 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-17-04, 05:18 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Did someone request the Pimp?

Ok, I have owned both chrome and now polished, in this same style HRE wheel...so here's my experience/ opinion on the differences between the two.

The chrome is easier to take care of in some ways, and harder in others. The chrome will pretty much wipe clean with minimal effort, BUT chrome is also easier to "F" up. If you damage a chrome wheel, you will either be replacing it, or sending it out to get re chromed....which is not quick or cheap to do. If you plan on driving the car with the wheels on it in the winter, forget about chrome....once salt, or for that matter brake dust, starts to pit the chrome....it will only get worse from there. Trust me, it doesnt take much salt to ruin a chrome wheel....I know!! Chrome also has a certain "bling" affect to it also, and some will throw out the concept of added weight and possible weakening of the metal during the chroming process.....these last two dont mean much to me....but it has been said in the past. Last thing to think about, if your buying a three piece wheel...do you chrome the lip or not? Most will say no due to the way the process will weaken the lip, and if you curb the wheel your, once again, "F:'d.

Polished wheels can look as good or better than chrome IF you take care of them. You see how my current HRE's looked when I first got them, they pretty much still look the same. You can get high polished wheels with clearcoat, if you do that, they are just about as easy to clean as the chrome. The clearcoat really makes them wipe clean pretty easily. As you see, I had my inner barrels polishedas well....they are clearcoated to keep the cleaning to a minimum. I went with a clearcoated face and inner barrell, with a non clear coated lip. I have to stay on top of the lip, polish at least once every other week.....every week would be preferred, but I dont drive the car much...so every other week for me. the clearcoated parts are easy to keep clean. If I had to do it all over again, I would have skipped the clearcoat, and just stayed on top of the polishing....reason being, you can polish the **** out of them and have them blinging.....the clear takes a little bit of that away, but most would not notice like I do. I also went with clear on the face becasue of the mesh pattern, it would be a ***** to keep up on...if it was a different style, there would have been no question to skip the clear.

All things considered, I like the polished better, and I if I did it all over again....I would go with polished again. I personally think the polished looks a little better than chrome as well....but hey, thats just my opinion.

EIther way you go, you will be happy Im sure.
Nice Writeup.

Me - LAZY *** - MUST HAVE CHROME!
Old 02-17-04, 06:46 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Me - LAZY *** - MUST HAVE CHROME!
Don't get me wrong, Im lazy too!
Old 02-17-04, 07:08 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Wow PIMP that was really good write up man thanks! What you covered is pretty much what I figured for polished, and yeah the clearcoat does take a little of the shine effect away, but it still looks very good!

For guys with non cleared polished, I wonder if they can use a orbital buffer to keep them clean?
Old 02-17-04, 07:18 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

D....you ask and you shall receive!

I would imagine that you could use a buffer on the wheels, but you really dont need to.....its pretty easy to get them shining with good old elbow grease.

Quick Reply: Polished WHEELS. Stainless