Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Dear Tire Rack...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 12:11 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dear Tire Rack...

When I purchased my GS430 in December 02, I called you and was trying to decide between the Blizzak LM-22 and the Dunlop WinterSport M2. I was told that if I wanted the best performance snow tire out there, nothing beats the LM-22 and it was well worth the extra cost. I had previously had the Pirelli Winter 210P on my 5 series and was extremely disappointed with them.

I have to admit, the first year the LM22s were acceptable. They were better than the 210Ps but they were not exceptional. I put about 5,000 miles on the LM-22s that season.

This year I put them back on but decided to rotate them - front to back as they are directional. First off, I noticed that the rear end of the car is now squirmy on the highway. Had the wheels balanced and the issue is still there. I have not rotated them back however.

My main disappointment however is with the winter traction - the tires are now TERRIBLE in the snow/ice. Air pressure is at 30psi and the car slides all over the place. As my car is in service right now, I have an ES330 loaner with all season tires on it. The traction is unbelievable compared to my GS with snow tires. Not just acceleration (as would be expected), but turning and stopping the ES blows away my GS in the snow/ice.

My question is twofold
1) Is it possible that after only 5,000 miles these tires are no longer effective in snow/ice?
2) Would rotating these tires have anything to do with the decreased traction?

FYI Tires were stored on their sides, on their rims in my basement over the summer.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Old 01-30-04, 09:17 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter Traction

Thank you for this post it gives me a chance to reiterate some facts...

The LM22 would have the same tread depth at the beginning of this winter season that they did at the end of last winter season. The tire should have relatively consistent traction until they reach the winter wear bars. Here is a link to our tests with the LM22, the Dunlop Winter Sport M2 and the Pirelli W210.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ke=Bridgestone

The best choice for the best winter traction that you can have on your rear wheel drive GS, is a 16 inch tire and wheel combination with Blizzak WS-50 tires. The lower profile 17 or 18 inch performance winter tires do not provide the same level of traction as the 16 inch package with the WS 50.

The ES330 is front wheel drive and has 215/60 16 size tire.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-04, 10:26 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Thanks Brandon

Good point about the ES having narrower 16" wheels. Also, as I drive Chicago to Madison on a consistent basis, I was advised to stay away from the WS-50s as their highway ride resembles driving on marbles.

I am curious however as to why my traction seems to be so much worse this year with the LM-22s than last year. I took my snows off in late April last year which means I drove on dry roads for approx a month as we did not receive snow in April. Is there a chance that the LM22s lose their effectiveness quicker than other snow tires? Do the LM22s use the same technology as the WS-50s?
Old 01-30-04, 11:16 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Default LM22

The LM22 has a directional lamellen "edge effect" tread design with high density zig zag sipes and a high silica content tread compound (Not a multicell compound).

The WS 50 has a tube multicell and multi layer tread compound.

The LM-22 does not wear any faster then any other snow tires.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-04, 11:22 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ok last question - and I post it here because I think the information would be beneficial to the board.

Do you recommend roatating your snow tires each season? As I mentioned I seem to have some issues now that I have done that. In talking to a couple people I know they mentioned that they only run into trouble when they rotate their snow tires.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 01-30-04, 11:27 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Default Yes

Yes you should rotate them to get even tread wear, and by the way, GS430 pressure should be 33 psi.