Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What wheels to stay away from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 10:25 AM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What wheels to stay away from?

I have been searching the net, and also local wheel shops for just the right set of rims for my GS3. I know you get what you pay for, but what brands should I stay away from?

I have decided on 18s and have decided not to do a staggered setup for tire life/rotation ease. I will probably do 25mm spacers in the rear for effect.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Joel
Old 01-16-04, 12:09 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

honestly its totally up to how much you want to spend if you dont want to spend to much money then you kinda have to go with less quality wheels if money is no object then you can purchase top notch wheel slike HRE's and stuff but its totally up to you just make sure that your happy with what you buy and go up 2 inches GS looks sweet on 20" rims just my .02 where in cali do you stay at?

Last edited by LEXISM; 01-16-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-16-04, 02:47 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've heard from a couple of members in the GS and SC430 forums that they've had problems with Mille Miglias bending. I've had no experience with them personally... just repeating what I've read in the forum.

If you like a mesh wheel, BBS is nice. I'm having 18" Diamond Black BBS RGR's put on next week. For a non-staggered fitment, you may also want to look at BBS RX2's. Not inexpensive, but well worth it.
Old 01-16-04, 03:04 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Lexism and dseag2,
thanks fo rhte input. I know that more money = higher quality. Trust me, if money was no objet, my GS would be HOOKED UP! Turbo and all that ish. But, divorced father of 2 has a tight budget. Love to DIY, and CL has been very helpfull in that aspect.

I look at some of these sites and they have some brands I haven't even heard of, and not much feedback on quality.

I am hoping to spend no more that about $2K for rims and tires. New or used. I keep checking the Wheel Marketplace, hoping to get the jump on someone, and get a deal. One of these days I will.

Anyways, thanks for the comments guys. I will continue the search! LOL

Joel
Old 01-16-04, 10:22 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by dseag2
I've heard from a couple of members in the GS and SC430 forums that they've had problems with Mille Miglias bending. I've had no experience with them personally... just repeating what I've read in the forum.

Add this ES owner to the list of those with bent Mille Miglias Both of my rims (17" Mille Miglia Action with 50 profile tires) on the passenger side bent when I hit a pothole near the curb, which was submerged under an inch of water on a dark, rainy night. And they didn't bend sharply the way most wheels I've seen bent; rather, they had a gradual, even, bend about 6" long, kind of like they went "out of round" instead of "creasing."

More info in this thread I started a while back: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=bent
Old 01-17-04, 10:05 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

L-Sportline!!!!!!! Just say NOOOO!!!! I had model IVs on my SC 430 and ALL FOUR wheels were bent beyond repair at once!!!! 5 different wheel shops and 2 Lexus dealers had never seen that before. I contacted L-Sportline and asked them if they'd had any issues with wheels bending unusually easy. The guy was rude, defensive, and basically an a------. I will never buy or recommend them to anyone. I WILL do everything I can to take a sale away from them. Forged wheels are much stronger than cast. Centerline, BBS, HRE, iforged all have nice wheels that should be durable. In dealing with HRE, they have done nothing but be helpful. They were very kind and answered all my questions.
Old 01-17-04, 11:34 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Joel..

based on your budget, i would recommend a mint, used set of 18/19s from these co:

work, rays, weds, arrow, hart, ssr...you know the big JDM brands

if you like work euroline DH dish wheel and will consider stagger set up, let me know, i can sell you my 18x9+10 with dunlop sp9000 245/275, only ~3-4 k miles, still have those tyre stubs on the tyres. NO scratches at all
Old 01-18-04, 02:25 PM
B_Cruz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Doc C
L-Sportline!!!!!!! Just say NOOOO!!!! I had model IVs on my SC 430 and ALL FOUR wheels were bent beyond repair at once!!!! 5 different wheel shops and 2 Lexus dealers had never seen that before. I contacted L-Sportline and asked them if they'd had any issues with wheels bending unusually easy. The guy was rude, defensive, and basically an a------. I will never buy or recommend them to anyone. I WILL do everything I can to take a sale away from them. Forged wheels are much stronger than cast. Centerline, BBS, HRE, iforged all have nice wheels that should be durable. In dealing with HRE, they have done nothing but be helpful. They were very kind and answered all my questions.
whoa its a trip how you posted that... I was going to purchase a set of model IV's last week (at a wholesale price of course) and while I was there, a SC430 was getting towed in after bending 2 of them beyond repair. Luckily his was insured and the replacements were there waiting for him.

So I went with Carre wheels instead.
Old 01-18-04, 05:43 PM
LexFather

At this point, wheel companies are popping up left and right. My advice. Look at diff. internet forums and look for owner feedback. There is also a reason you might see people buy the same brands of wheels (good stuff).

Wheels are the shoes to your suit (car).
Old 01-19-04, 12:52 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

GS4will, Thanks for the offer. You have some nice rims, too bad they are staggered or you would have a buyer.

1SICKLEX - I agree on that! I am hoping to find something that is a little less common as far as rims. There are so many GS here in So Cal. I know it will be hard, but I think if I take my time and research I will find something rare and in my price range.

Thanks to all who commented. All the info so far has been very helpfull, as usuall for CL

Joel
Old 01-19-04, 03:25 PM
LexFather

1SICKLEX - I agree on that! I am hoping to find something that is a little less common as far as rims. There are so many GS here in So Cal. I know it will be hard, but I think if I take my time and research I will find something rare and in my price range.
Volks have some special edition colors out now. If it's the same wheel, a different color stands out. Good luck