Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire installer damages all 5 of my wheels while mounting :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 04:37 PM
ajpa123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire installer damages all 5 of my wheels while mounting :(

Hey guys,
I have a 1998 white gs400 and i bought 4 Sumitomo HTR Z's and went to my local Quick Lane Tire shop (owned by the Ford dealer that it is next to) and proceed to have the tires mounted. I have all my non-trivial auto stuff done there because it is close to home. The tire machine that holds the tires and helps attach the tire to the rim breaks while remounting the first tire, so they did the rest manually. I wasn't told this till later. Anyways, i talked to the mechanic and told him to continue if he's sure no scratches would occur..

Then when he's done... all 4 tires have scrapes around all the edges and multiple scratches on the wheels.. The kicker is that the spare wheel was the worst.. like someone took a screwdriver to it. I have the owner of the dealership's home number and had filed a complaint with the Service Manager who had his Director look at it. Is there any metal-related test i can have done to prove all the scratches are new ? (I would only do this if they blow me off)

Anyways, my question is.. where do i stand legally...?
I mentioned to the Service manager that I would have my attorney call theirs tomorrow, but he said that I probably won't have to and that they would take care of it.. I'm skeptical.. I think i'm really screwed.. i think they might just offer to have the wheels re-finished or something ...

Opinions are appreciated
Thanks,
AJ.
Old 01-06-04, 05:15 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Where the hect did this happen? I went to school in RI at Bryant and know some guys down there that might be able to help. As for the scrathes it is your word against theirs. I would defenitely take it up with the owner and see what he will do for you. Did you pay for this and if so how? You can dispute the charge and also file a complaint for the damage.
Old 01-06-04, 05:27 PM
ajpa123
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Lexis11
Where the hect did this happen? I went to school in RI at Bryant and know some guys down there that might be able to help. As for the scrathes it is your word against theirs. I would defenitely take it up with the owner and see what he will do for you. Did you pay for this and if so how? You can dispute the charge and also file a complaint for the damage.
Hey Lexis11,
It happened at the Quick Lane/Rizzo Ford dealership on the corner of Mineral Spring/Douglas Ave (i'm sure you're familiar with it). I take my Maxima there for most of it's maintenance.. I started going there becuase i got a coupon book for 4 oil changes for $20.00.. I have been very happy with them up until earlier this afternoon. I just think that the kid who worked on my car was either high or having a bad day.

I paid cash.. I did not sign any paperwork. i just got a receipt for $50.37 or so.
AJ.
Old 01-06-04, 05:33 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Ya Ya I know exactly where that is. I used to have a Max too! Are you from Johnston? or North Prov? Um keep me informed of what happens and you will have to meet up with some of us locals this spring!
Old 01-06-04, 06:00 PM
ajpa123
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Lexis11
Ya Ya I know exactly where that is. I used to have a Max too! Are you from Johnston? or North Prov? Um keep me informed of what happens and you will have to meet up with some of us locals this spring!
I will keep you updated.
I live in North Providence.
Old 01-08-04, 08:28 AM
ajpa123
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone!

I don't mean to be obnoxious, but did I post this in the wrong forum. I say that because of the lack of replies. I really need guidance from this community and some support would be apreciated.

I received a call from the dealership and they said that their insurance woud allow them to send the rims away to some place in Connecticut and have them taken care of.

Should I accept this? I have done research on refinishing and have found customers very happy with the finished product.

They initially didn't say anything about a loaner, until i asked for it..

Any replies/opinions and suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
AJ.b
Old 01-10-04, 01:01 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Default I feel your pain....

I'm going thru a similar problem with my installer here in RI. Not only did he damage a wheel, he couldn't even get them balanced right. I ended up taking them to Inskip Porsche and just letting them clobber me with the bill. I couldn't deal with the incompetance any more.

Anyway, yes, they owe you some refinishing on your wheels and a loaner car while the work is done. Or, if you have been thinking of buying new wheels, have them pay you directly for the damage and put that money toward the new purchase. I'd expect it would cost $200 or so to ship and refinish your wheels.

Personally, I wouldn't be too comfortable letting them work on my car again, but that's up to you.

Let us know how you make out.