Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

19's with ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 12:06 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19's with ???'s

i plan on getting 19's really soon. the car is at stick height but i plan to lower about 1-2 inches. what size tires do you suggest i get with the rims? and will i need spacers. thanks in advance
Old 12-20-03, 01:03 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Staggered or Straight?

If Staggered... 275/35/19 Back... 245/30/19 Front

If Straight or "The Same All Around".. 245/35/19

You should have no rubbing issues with any kind of tires with the drop your specifying.. although, at 2" things get close with any tire. You also said coilovers though, in which case, no worries.

-Anthony
Old 12-20-03, 01:31 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

what do you mean by straight or staggered. pretty much my goal is to get that tucked look.
Old 12-20-03, 01:43 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexusdream
what do you mean by straight or staggered. pretty much my goal is to get that tucked look.
Lex,

As I explained... Straight is the same size tires all around... and the staggered look is different tires front and back.. which fills out the wheel wells more and gives a better overall experience when driving.

The tucked look you are discussing doesn't involve tires at all. This has to do with dropping your car with the coilovers you mentioned. Use the search function for such topics on coilovers, lowering the car, different tire set up, etc. There is a wealth of knowledge.

-Anthony
Old 12-20-03, 01:46 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

i understand. i just didnt want the tires to rub at all when i plan to slam it. just wanted to know what tire size everyone recomends. and will i need spacers?...
Old 12-20-03, 02:08 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexusdream
i understand. i just didnt want the tires to rub at all when i plan to slam it. just wanted to know what tire size everyone recomends. and will i need spacers?...
I will leave the tire suggestions to others as I have already answered, but as for spacers...

Spacers push out and make thing seem more outward or help in making clearence for things such as brakes. The only way you would want to get spacers is if you wanted the same tire size all around, but wanted to push out the rear tires to fill the gap between the fender and tires and have it sit flush, but that wouldn't be needed, it would only be a want.

I hope I am not aggravating you by answering every question, just trying to be helpful.

-Anthony
Old 12-20-03, 07:06 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

thanks. you helping me to understand more.
Old 12-20-03, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

lexusdream - another point on 'staggered' setups. This usually means the width of the rear rims are larger than the fronts, therefore you can't rotate wheels/tires front to back. This gives a much more sporty look than the same size all around. If you went with, say 8.5 or 9" rims all around though, rear spacers would make them get pushed out toward the fenders which looks a whole lot better. I have staggered though, 8.5" front and 10" rear... looks awesome.

I don't have signature display turned on, so apologies if yours shows what car you have, but either way, what car do you have?
Old 12-21-03, 07:10 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

i have a 92 sc300 in white. i like the idea of staggered. i want like 9.5 in the rears and 8.5 up front . so will i need spacers and how big?. and when i buy rims i cant get a set because sets are same size all the way around. so how do people buy diffferent size rims?one by one? or just mix and match. im guessing that will cost alot more. thanks
Old 12-21-03, 07:24 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

As long your tires aren't a crazy set up (look up in the post to see my earlier post about this), you won't need spacers.

If you order from any manufacturer or seller or wheels/rims, they will have no problem selling you 2 8.5 wheels and 2 9.5 wheels. It's common.

The price won't be inflated or much more than you might expect to pay for something similar. I'll give you an example...

The cost of a set of 19x9 all around is the same as...
A set of 19x8.5 up front and a set of 19x9.5 in the rear.. because the 8.5 are slightly less than the 9 and the 9.5 are slightly more, making the cost the same.

-Anthony
Old 12-21-03, 07:56 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

good info captain bone. do you recomend anywhere i should buy?. we have local shops here but they charge and arm and leg. im looking for chrome or polished silver. but my main thing is having a BIG lip. i want the lip on the rims to be wide. you know?...thanks
Old 12-21-03, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

lexusdream, since it sounds like you're new to the whole wheel buying gig, please TAKE YOUR TIME and learn about OFFSET, DISC FITMENT, TIRE DIAMETER (vs. stock), HUB CENTRIC vs. GENERIC CENTER BORE, etc. or you may end up with a set that you'll be unhappy with.

My advice is to hook up with some locals who have staggered setups and ask them questions about the above issues, and whether their setups rub or have any other problems. You also need to factor in whether you plan to change the suspension components (to lower the car for example).

I must say again, TAKE YOUR TIME, learn about this stuff, it's a bit tricky.

The longer you take to buy 'em the more you can save too and get better quality. There's tons of wheels out there. It's one thing to buy junk, but what would be more embarassing would be buying nice rims that are the wrong size.
Old 12-21-03, 08:13 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

yea im pretty new to buying big wheels. i do plan to lower my car. most liely with coilovers. dont know what brand yet. im still trying to figure out which setup is good. but another concern about buying rims is offset. i read up on it and dont really understand it. how do i know what offset i will need when buying ?
Old 12-21-03, 06:48 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spacers are really not a good thing. They usually are used where a wrong offset application was used.

Find out what offset works for the look / rim you are looking for.

Just like MR. BITKAHUNA said above...do your homework before you buy!
Old 12-21-03, 08:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

simply said; if you get the correct offset for your car; you wont need spacers...

i plan on 19x8.5 and 19x10 myself with 275 or 285 rubber in the back

Quick Reply: 19's with ???'s