Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Can a 3pc wheel be re-configured to have a different offset/width, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 04:10 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a 3pc wheel be re-configured to have a different offset/width, etc?

If I understand correctly, a 3pc wheel is made up of:

1. Outside lip-the part you see
2. Center disk- the spokes, or FACE of the wheel
3. Rear lip-the part you dont see

All joined together by rivets. If this is true, is it possible to dis-assemble a wheel, buy new outside/inside lip and make a new offset and width.

I am looking for a nice set of 18s for some one, but he wants a staggered set up. If I find a nice set of 8.5' all around wheels, could he just buy the outside/inside lips for 2 of the wheels and make them a staggered setup? Of course new tires would have to be purchased

If this is possible, it would be good to know for all 3pc wheel owners.
Old 12-18-03, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

pretty much correct from my understanding, 3 piece wheels composed of the center (the spokes), the outter wheel, and the inner wheel. you can disassemble them and change the width and offset. that's exactly what bob at hre is doing. he has 10" now, and he's going to change it to 11" by changing out the inner wheel from 6.5" to 7.5", the outter and the center stay the same. effectively though, the offset of the wheel will go from +35 now to +47
Old 12-18-03, 11:07 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3 Piece Wheels

This is possible. However, for the average person this is not really feasible. The reason for 3 piece wheel design is flexibility in production and strength in construction. However, they are not really designed to be taken apart and put back together again, unless you really know what your doing. Ex: You work for HRE.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 12-18-03 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 11:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: 3 Piece Wheels

Originally posted by Brandon@TR
This is possible. However, for the average person this is not really feasible. The reason for 3 piece wheel design is flexibility in production and strength in contruction. However, they are not really designed to be taken apart and put back together again, unless you really know what your doing. Ex: You work for HRE.
haha very true! disclaimer: do NOT try this at home
Old 12-18-03, 03:09 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: Re: 3 Piece Wheels

Originally posted by rominl
haha very true! disclaimer: do NOT try this at home

Really? what if you take the wheel somewhere and get it dismantled and re constructed? He really wants 18s with a dish, thats why I'm actively looking into this
Old 12-18-03, 07:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: 3 Piece Wheels

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Really? what if you take the wheel somewhere and get it dismantled and re constructed? He really wants 18s with a dish, thats why I'm actively looking into this
well not sure how easy that could be done though, coz' it involves a lot of technical aspect too, including making a perfectly matching inner/outer wheel, how to tighten/seal them up in a sense that it's not going to leak, etc... unless you have all the tool i think it's too hard
Old 12-18-03, 07:32 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 Piece Wheels

Originally posted by rominl
well not sure how easy that could be done though, coz' it involves a lot of technical aspect too, including making a perfectly matching inner/outer wheel, how to tighten/seal them up in a sense that it's not going to leak, etc... unless you have all the tool i think it's too hard
Good point Rom, a project like this may turn out to be more of a headache in the long run, just an idea!!
Old 12-18-03, 07:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 Piece Wheels

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Good point Rom, a project like this may turn out to be more of a headache in the long run, just an idea!!
yup, i agree. if you know people like bob of hre, of course it's a non issue, but if you are out there alone doing it, man god knows how much it's going to cost
Old 12-18-03, 10:37 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sometimes i feel its better 2 just pay a little more and get what u want already done and made than 2 try 2 but it cheaoer and make change it yourself....i like the idea but man i would hate 2 b in the middle of that process...
Old 12-20-03, 07:07 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you risk your safety and those of your loved ones to save a few bucks.

I agree with bluelex 120%...dont try to save a few bucks....let the manufacturer do this!
Old 12-21-03, 08:33 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by GS4fun
Why would you risk your safety and those of your loved ones to save a few bucks.

I agree with bluelex 120%...dont try to save a few bucks....let the manufacturer do this!
The wheels were not for me, I was trying to help another member out. Theres a set of 18" BR5s in the classifieds, and one of the lips needs to be recrhomed. I was just asking, because I know alot of members have taken their 3pc wheels apart for repair, rechroming, etc. I was just thinking, when you put it back together, could you just order new fr/rr lips!

Like Rom said, for people that work at a wheel company, its probaly easy, but not for us regular dudes! LOL

Just a thought that ran across my head