Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

German vs Lexus wheel set-ups

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 11:22 PM
roller400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German vs Lexus wheel set-ups

How come whenever I see a german car, even a vw jetta or GTI, they look really cool with aftermarket wheels where the tire goes right to the edge of the fender and the wheels fill out the wheel wells. but I have never seen that kind of fit on any japanese or more specifically Lexus set-up. (It looks best on a Audit A6, IMO) That is the look I am going for, but I have yet to find any wheels that have that german look. Most of the german cars I have seen have cheap wheels, so I know it can't be the quality of wheel that gives that look.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks,
Old 11-30-03, 02:00 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I have to agree, German cars and European cars are pretty low for being stock vehicles.

They are really low because the fenders are going outward which would prevent any type of rubbing.

Lexus cars do not have fender flares so you can achieve it by rolling your fenders and lowering the car.
Old 12-01-03, 04:58 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexAristo
I have to agree, German cars and European cars are pretty low for being stock vehicles.

They are really low because the fenders are going outward which would prevent any type of rubbing.

Lexus cars do not have fender flares so you can achieve it by rolling your fenders and lowering the car.
I agree. I've noticed this myself and if you look at most euro cars, the fenders have a bulge (flare) allowing a wider look. Plus, they tend to be lower to begin with.

You may not be able to get that look with your Lex, but at least it's more reliable.

Last edited by cyclemax; 12-01-03 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-01-03, 12:02 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: German vs Lexus wheel set-ups

Originally posted by roller400
How come whenever I see a german car, even a vw jetta or GTI, they look really cool with aftermarket wheels where the tire goes right to the edge of the fender and the wheels fill out the wheel wells. but I have never seen that kind of fit on any japanese or more specifically Lexus set-up. (It looks best on a Audit A6, IMO) That is the look I am going for, but I have yet to find any wheels that have that german look. Most of the german cars I have seen have cheap wheels, so I know it can't be the quality of wheel that gives that look.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks,
That's a pretty astute observation, one that I've also noticed. My NON expert guess would be that the Japanese seem to think people, generally speaking, prefer smoother ride than a lower, or perceived lower ride height at the expense of ride quality. I for one am willing to sacrifice some of that smoothness for some improved handling/better asthetics, but then I also think I'm a VERY small minority. I hardly ever see a nonstock GS, let alone any Lexus model modded in a similar manner to a European ride, be it rims and/or lowering.

Another view: Maybe it's got something to do with high speed handling characteristics. European, namely Germans, can legally/frequently drive high speeds as opposed to the Japanese. Maybe the setups on European cars handle high speeds better/safer that the Japanese style.

I'm just guessing here. And yes I have to agree with you about the Audi. I saw my first RS6 first hand last Friday. VERY SWWEEEEEEETT!!

Last edited by Blanco; 12-01-03 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 07:20 PM
roller400
Rookie

It has to be the flared fenders that give it that look, because even a lexus with spacers or offset right to the fender trim doesn't look like a euro-ride. I was just curious to see if I was the only one who noticed how cool german cars looked with rims.

BTW, what is "rolling" fenders and how do you do it?
Old 12-02-03, 05:11 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

You can always buy the IMC bodykit with fender flares