Club Lexus Forums

Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   The Press Box (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-press-box-174/)
-   -   The Decision 2? (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-press-box/747122-the-decision-2-a.html)

Vasili 06-24-14 08:56 AM

The Decision 2?

Should we be awaiting a second Special Event on TV?

LeBron is going to test the market.

Who do you think he'll end up with?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...134000715.html

Quote:

After his Miami Heat lost the 2014 NBA Finals to the San Antonio Spurs in five games, LeBron James said he was going to wait until after he'd taken his family on a postseason vacation to turn his attention to the future. One week later, it seems that the four-time Most Valuable Player is ready to get back to business ... and that the first order of business is to get free:

ESPN.com's Chris Broussard first reported that James would exercise his early-termination option.

So, yes: LeBron James is going to be a free agent. Sound the alarms!

By exercising the termination option in his contract, James forgoes a $20,590,000 payday for the 2014-15 season, but instantly becomes the unquestioned prize of the summer's free agent crop. That said, James deciding choosing to opt out isn't surprising in and of itself, and it doesn't necessarily mean LeBron's packing his bags just yet. At this point, all the choice does is create more options for both James and the Heat.

When James and Chris Bosh joined Dwyane Wade to form Miami's "Big Three" in the summer of 2010, all three All-Stars signed contracts worth less than the maximum amount they could command on the market in order to allow Heat team president Pat Riley to build a strong, complete team around that scintillating core. The team made four straight trips to the NBA Finals and won two league championships, but found itself overwhelmed by the Spurs this June. The Heat had become utterly dependent on James' scoring, playmaking and defense amid Wade's decline and Bosh's struggles, and were unable to match San Antonio's impressive depth.

James has reportedly expressed reluctance to take another pay cut this offseason without assurances that Miami's brass will use any forsaken funds to augment the roster, rather than make moves to cut costs, like the luxury-tax-bill-winnowing amnesty of key role player Mike Miller before the 2013-14 season. Exercising the ETO not only creates the flexibility for James to entertain other suitors should he so choose, it also puts the onus on Riley, Heat owner Micky Arison and the rest of Miami's front office to put together an attractive, cohesive plan to make it worth James' while to stay.

At issue now, of course, is whether Bosh (set to make $20,590,000 next season) and Wade ($20,164,000) will follow suit and exercise their own ETOs. If they do, the Heat will have scads of salary cap space that Riley and company could use to refurbish a roster that, at the moment, features only veteran forward Udonis Haslem (a $4.62 million player option for 2014-15) and reserve point guard Norris Cole (due just over $2 million) and is in desperate need of reinforcements to keep its championship window open.

"We don't need to rebuild," Riley said during an animated season-wrapping press conference last week. "We need to retool. And that's what we're going to do."

By informing the Heat of his decision to opt out, James seems prepared to hold Riley's, and Arison's, feet to the fire. What comes next ought to be fascinating and could very well tilt the balance of power in the NBA for seasons to come.

bagwell 06-24-14 09:19 AM

LOL! I guess DWADE is next?

Joey-E 06-24-14 10:06 AM

Lol I saw this coming when the heat and pressure got to LBJ. :thumbdn::cry:
It wasnt long before he would want to get out of there instead of sticking with his team.:rolleyes:
I even talked about it in previous basketball threads but no one believed me. :dunno: ;)

I hope the Lakers dont pursue him or give it any thought. :thumbup::)

Allen K 06-24-14 10:11 AM

Dwade isn't opting out. He has $42M left on his contract and there's no way he gets a contract close to that if he opts out

Joey-E 06-24-14 10:22 AM

Yeah i don't see Wade leaving.

Vasili 06-24-14 02:00 PM

Maybe LeBron wants to come to Chicago to make everyone here forget about Michael Jordan.

Or simply, he wants to be in Chicago because the team mascot matches his personality. :)

link13 06-24-14 02:06 PM

I'll be surprised if he goes anywhere and expect him to sign a new deal to stay in Miami.

Vasili 06-24-14 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link13 (Post 8597398)
I'll be surprised if he goes anywhere and expect him to sign a new deal to stay in Miami.

I bet he stays in Miami, if the team gets him some more help.

BrettJacks 06-24-14 06:29 PM

http://i.imgur.com/X0MBQzI.jpg

Hoovey2411 06-24-14 07:35 PM

I hope LeBron goes back to Cleveland and fulfills his promise

Joey-E 06-24-14 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettJacks (Post 8597744)

Lol! :thumbup::D

LexFather 06-24-14 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettJacks (Post 8597744)

Omg rotflmao

link13 06-25-14 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 8597846)
I hope LeBron goes back to Cleveland and fulfills his promise

I don't see any way he does that. Gilbert is a douche and I actually hope Lebron James is aware enough of that to never play there again. The Decision was stupid as hell, but then Gilbert publicly trashed Lebron James after he made his choice. I admit I also dislike Gilbert for his role in nixing the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers. I have no respect at all for David Stern and his unprecedented intervention when that happened.

Hoovey2411 06-25-14 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link13 (Post 8598233)
I don't see any way he does that. Gilbert is a douche and I actually hope Lebron James is aware enough of that to never play there again. The Decision was stupid as hell, but then Gilbert publicly trashed Lebron James after he made his choice. I admit I also dislike Gilbert for his role in nixing the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers. I have no respect at all for David Stern and his unprecedented intervention when that happened.

Maybe not, but I like when people uphold their promises :p

NYKnick101 06-25-14 06:01 PM

If lebron knows whats good for his name in the NBA history books, he will stay in Miami and not bounce around teams. All of the NBA G.O.A.T. stayed with one or if at max 2 teams through out their entire career. Hope he doesn't do it for the money for his own good. And he better NOT do another decision special. The last one i wasnt too upset with because profits went to charity but another one would be ridiculous

Wade isnt leaving Miami any time soon either. Unless he gets traded, I see him retiring in Miami.