Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse > The Press Box
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Will the Redskins' Mike Shanahan lose his job?

Old 11-30-13, 11:35 AM   #1
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

Default Will the Redskins' Mike Shanahan lose his job?

The offensiveness of the Redskins name among some native-Americans and political liberals isn't all that the team has to worry about this year. After an explosive season last year with RGIII, making the playoffs, as of last Monday night, they were 3-8...last in the NFC East, and all but completely shut out of the playoffs this year. Shanahan, of course, kept RG in the game too long during the conference-playoff game last year, and his knee was badly hurt, requiring surgery. Then, this year, while still recovering from the surgery, Shanahan would not let RG start any of the pre-season games, and his skills deteriorated further. His knees/legs seem to have come back the last few games, but he still is making a lot of ill-timed passes and/or overthrowing the receivers (can't blame Pierre Garcon or Santana Moss, who are excellent receivers). He clearly is not the quarterback he was last year, but Shanhan refuses to bench him and start backups Grossman, Cousins, or White (there are actually four Redskin quarterbacks). Each game for the last month or so, it's been pretty much the same thing...the Redskins get two or three touchdowns behind by the half or third quarter, and then spend the rest of the game in a frenzy, trying to catch up....almost succeeding twice. In addition, Shanahan's philosophy is a moblie, agile offensive line than can easily run and block as needed (one reason why Alfred Morris is rushing so well....he runs like Miami's Larry Czonka did 40 years ago), but the flip-side to that smaller, more agile offensive line is that they generally aren't big or heavy enough to block out the gorilla-sized defense linemen in front of them, and RGlll is getting unrelenting pressure (and hits/sacks) in the backfield as a result.

Shanahan, as yet, shows no signs of being willing to make some major changes (neither does his son Kyle, the team's Offensive Coordinator)...so the inevitable question comes up if Dan Snyder will let them go, even with one more year in his contract (Snyder, of course, after many losing seasons, has never kept a Head Coach on more than three to four years, and two years has been the average term).

I myself won't make an absolute bet, but if I had to predict, right now, I'd say the chances of both Shanhan Jr. and Sr. staying around for next year are less than 50/50.

Of course, there are those who say this is not a coaching fault, or the QB's fault, but simply a bad roster and a string of injuries hurting and impacting the team.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-13 at 12:46 PM..
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 09:19 AM   #2
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Shanahan was fired this morning. Team owner Dan Snyder still owes him $7 million from the original contract.....a pretty good severance package, I'd say, to (now) sit back and do nothing. Shanahan is probably laughing all the way to the bank with that nice check.
Old 12-30-13, 12:02 PM   #3
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

I hate when really good on paper teams blame the coach for their teams not so great performance. I think the redskins had a GREAT team yet they were plagued with injuries this year. RG3 was either injured or on the bench the majority of the time and they pretty much rotated their entire defense so it was never consistent play.

The one thing that I think that Shanahan did BEST but ultimately cost him his job was that he started playing for next season. Benching key players so they stay healthy was smart when he realized that they weren't going to make the playoffs. Makes no sense to play RG3 the last 3 games if they weren't going to see the post season and also give the 2nd string some action to be more comfortable leading the team. But the Redskins organization is also a business and as an owner I would hate to see my team give up half way through the season. Redskins had a terrible season this year but will have a great season next year with healthy and more experienced players and I think it will be thank to shanahan.
NYKnick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 12:43 PM   #4
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnick101 View Post
I hate when really good on paper teams blame the coach for their teams not so great performance. I think the redskins had a GREAT team yet they were plagued with injuries this year. RG3 was either injured or on the bench the majority of the time and they pretty much rotated their entire defense so it was never consistent play.

The one thing that I think that Shanahan did BEST but ultimately cost him his job was that he started playing for next season. Benching key players so they stay healthy was smart when he realized that they weren't going to make the playoffs. Makes no sense to play RG3 the last 3 games if they weren't going to see the post season and also give the 2nd string some action to be more comfortable leading the team. But the Redskins organization is also a business and as an owner I would hate to see my team give up half way through the season. Redskins had a terrible season this year but will have a great season next year with healthy and more experienced players and I think it will be thank to shanahan.
I agree that not all of the team's woes can be blamed on Shanahan, but the main problem started last year in the playoffs when Shanahan simply wouldn't take RGIII out of the Seattle game when his knee was clearly (and increasingly) becoming a stumbling-block. Things got worse and worse in that game, RG finally got hit once too often, and that was that for the knee......he was severely injured for months, and required surgery. Shanahan claims that RG wouldn't let himself be removed in that game, that he kept insisting that he could keep playing...but it is sometimes a coach's job to see past a player's ego and take the steps that may be necessary. Shanahan, unfortunately, didn't do that.

While RGIII's own ego was a major factor in getting his knee badly hurt in that playoff game (which really started the Redskins' major decline), the blame ultimately goes to Shanahan....he decides who plays and who doesn't, although Dan Snyder sometimes has a habit of butting into coaching/playing decisions himself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-13 at 12:50 PM..
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 12:43 PM