Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse > The Press Box
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Big Round of Applause for the UCONN Womens Team!!!

Old 12-22-10, 06:19 AM   #1
baddis es
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)

linkrim
Default Big Round of Applause for the UCONN Womens Team!!!

the commentators were all hyped up about the early 6-4 lead FSU had thinking UCONN was in trouble...i think they forgot Maya Moore played for UCONN.

Congrats to these girls...and Coach Gino, impressive win streak and overall ball by the UCONN team.

Quote:
Maya Moore leads UConn women to 89th consecutive victory, surpassing UCLA men

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Men's teams. Women's teams. No. 89 belongs to UConn. It beats them all.

The No. 1-ranked Huskies women's basketball team topped the 88-game winning streak set by John Wooden's UCLA men's team from 1971-74, beating Florida State 93-62 on Tuesday night. Playing with the relentlessness that has become its trademark -- and would have made Wooden proud -- Connecticut blew past the Seminoles (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 22 AP) as it has so many other teams in the last 2 1/2 years.

"I don't want my team to compare themselves to anyone," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said afterward. "I'm not John Wooden and this isn't UCLA. This is Connecticut and that's good enough."

Maya Moore had a career-high 41 points and 10 rebounds and freshman Bria Hartley added 21 points for the Huskies, who have not lost since April 6, 2008, in the NCAA tournament semifinals. Only twice during the record run has a team come within single digits of UConn -- Stanford in the NCAA championship game last season and Baylor in early November.

When the final buzzer sounded, UConn players sprinted across the floor to shake hands with the student section as fans held up "89" signs and "89" balloons bobbed in the stands behind center court. Two other fans raised a banner that read "The Sorcerer of Storrs" -- a play on Wooden's nickname, "The Wizard of Westwood."

After a brief huddle in front of their bench, UConn players re-emerged wearing "89 and Counting" T-shirts. As fans roared, the players bounced around the court before posing for photos.

It's one more chapter of history for UConn, and perhaps the grandest.

"It's pretty amazing. It really is," said Auriemma, at a rare loss for words.

Asked what he would recall from the incredible run, he mentioned a pair of experienced stars on this team: "I'll probably remember Maya Moore and Tiffany Hayes. And how incredibly difficult it is to play that many games in a row and win 'em all."

Connecticut long ago established itself as the marquee program in the women's game, the benchmark by which all others are measured. The Huskies already own seven national titles and four perfect seasons under Auriemma, and they've produced a galaxy of stars that includes Rebecca Lobo, Diana Taurasi, Jennifer Rizzotti, Sue Bird and Tina Charles.

The streak, though, takes it to another level, certainly raising the profile of women's basketball and maybe all of women's athletics.

Two days after beating Ohio State (No. 12 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP) to tie UCLA, UConn toppled the mark in front of a sellout crowd of 16,294 at the XL Center that included Wooden's grandson, Greg, attending his first women's game.

"My grandfather would have been thrilled. He would have been absolutely thrilled to see his streak broken by a women's basketball team," the 47-year-old Wooden said. "He thought, especially in the last 10 years, that the best basketball was played at the collegiate level -- and it wasn't by the men."

John Wooden was 99 when he died last June 4.

There was a festive atmosphere throughout the city, where building lights gleamed blue and white, and it was as electric as any Final Four inside the arena. Charles and UConn men's star Kemba Walker sat behind the Huskies' bench, and football coach Randy Edsall was there, too. Former NFL star Warrick Dunn, meanwhile, was cheering for his alma mater, Florida State.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=303550041
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

-2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport -- family hauler
-2002 GS300 -- garage queen
-2002 Infiniti G20 5port -- daily driver
-1993 Acura Integra GS -- pastime
baddis es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 07:49 AM   #2
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000548829927 AWD GS

yea thats insane. i watched sports center monday night and they said something like the last 15 games or so they won by at least 20 points or more.

2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD Glacier Frost Mica - Black - ML Package
20" x 8.5" Status Knight Wheels Black with Machine Face | Bridgestone G-Force Tires 245/30/20 | BC Racing Coilovers | Carson Tuned Lip Kit | 3000k HID Fogs | Prestigious Society Navi/DVD Override Kit | 15% Tint | Black Roof and Window Trim
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 10:19 AM   #3
bnizzle87
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Brian 08ISF bn1zzle87

much deserving. but geno.....shut up already! all that pregame stuff about inequality- it wasn't about that at all. sure espn's poll says that the ucla men's 88 game streak is more memorable, but that doesn't take away from what these ladies did, especially moore and hartley. it'd be a real treat to see this streak continue for those seniors en route to yet another championship to close their collegiate career. congrats uconn women's bball team!

Aerotect | Tom's | Joe Z + Performance Tube Systems | Xenon Depot | AutoCouture | Beat-Sonic | WALD | BC Racing + Swift | Volk Racing | PPE | ?

My Build Thread:
Build Process - Pictures and Progression - Insights
bnizzle87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 01:49 PM   #4
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Congrats to them.

I am a wee bit dissappointed in the number of times Tennessee and some of the other very few powerhouse schools show up in their list of victories however.

They used to play during the regular season and Tenn beat them three years straight from 05-07 and then the scheduling stopped.... (go figure)

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 03:48 PM   #5
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXI187IXI View Post
yea thats insane. i watched sports center monday night and they said something like the last 15 games or so they won by at least 20 points or more.
Actually Baylor lost 65-64 to them ten games ago at the beginning of the season.
Boomer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 08:00 AM   #6
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer01 View Post
Actually Baylor lost 65-64 to them ten games ago at the beginning of the season.

And that was because of a huge coaching mistake, not the players. If not for the coach, Baylor would and should have won.

2011 - RX450h
Old 12-23-10, 10:23 AM   #7
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
And that was because of a huge coaching mistake, not the players. If not for the coach, Baylor would and should have won.
I watched the end of that game, wasn't there a blown shot clock violation call at the end too, should have gotten a reset and ball out of bounds.
SCRUFFDOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 12:39 PM   #8
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG View Post
I watched the end of that game, wasn't there a blown shot clock violation call at the end too, should have gotten a reset and ball out of bounds.
Yes, very true, but that wasn't as bad as Baylor's coach shooting herself in the foot with the time out.

If anyone didn't see the game, here is pretty much what happened.

There's about 6.5 seconds (+/-) left on the game clock and UCONN's up one with the ball on the baseline (2 seconds left on the shot clock). Geno calls the obligatory time out to arrange the play for Maya and UCONN sets up. Baylor coach Kim Mulkey then burns her last time-out to draw up a defensive play based on how she saw the UCONN players set up.

If the game's tied, I can understand that call. Defend it well and you'll get overtime.

But when you're down, you're leaving optimistically 4 seconds to collect the rebound, get down the court, and get off a shot. And all that without any time to draw up a play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXN7MqU7ats

2011 - RX450h

Last edited by oohpapi44; 12-23-10 at 12:50 PM..
Old 12-23-10, 12:39 PM