Register Forgot Password?

★★★★★ The Official Futbol/Soccer Thread ★★★★★

Old 07-11-11, 01:07 PM   #46
Teal Sc400
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS wanted View Post
I only saw the end of the second half and the PKs but that was ENOUGH. So much drama packed into that game and it's great to see the U.S. women prevail after potentially being robbed. I could accept the red card on the tackle (even though it was arguable) but to erase the initial saved PK was harsh. The keeper didn't move and slight encroachment like what happened occurs all the time without being called. So, to go from the rush of having saved a PK only to immediately have another rewarded and Brazil convert on it was deflating. That made the U.S. comeback that much more special.
I hope exciting and dramatic games like this capture more of an audience for the women so interest in their league will continue to grow.
I see it as BIAS because of the jersey/nationality...USA.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 07-13-11, 11:04 AM   #47
Teal Sc400
Lexus Champion

U.S.A up 1-0 on France at halftime, but France is outplaying the United States. France has controlled the ball more and has taken more shots toward the United States goal.

U.S.A wins a close game 3-1 over France and Megan Rapinoe again plays a key role in the victory for the United States.

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 07-13-11 at 12:05 PM..
Teal Sc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 11:55 AM   #48
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE

Congrats to USA Women Soccer Team!

They are going to the World Cup FINALS first time since 1999!

Nice last score by Miss Alex (Yum!) Morgan...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 07-13-11 at 12:16 PM..
TXSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 03:36 PM   #49
GS wanted
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to GS wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal Sc400 View Post
U.S.A up 1-0 on France at halftime, but France is outplaying the United States. France has controlled the ball more and has taken more shots toward the United States goal.

U.S.A wins a close game 3-1 over France and Megan Rapinoe again plays a key role in the victory for the United States.
That was hard luck for France. I was impressed with their play. They've really come a long way and truth be told they outplayed the U.S. overall. But, it's the win that matters.

I'm happy to see the U.S. reach the final and I hope that their ride continues on a high. The Japanese team is so disciplined and structured in the way they attack and defend together as a unit. They've improved a lot and will be a hard nut to crack but the U.S. team should beat them. They can't go in overconfident at all and they really need to solidify their defense.

It's the crest on the chest not the name on the back.
RIP RvP
GS wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 03:40 PM   #50
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Congrats to USA Women Soccer Team!

They are going to the World Cup FINALS first time since 1999!

Nice last score by Miss Alex (Yum!) Morgan...

Gaetane Thiney, Elodie Thomist, and Corine Franco from the French Women's National Team.

RIP RvP
Old 07-15-11, 02:47 AM   #51
Joey-E
Lexus Champion

I think the US womens soccer team is better then the US mens soccer team ...just saying Lol
Old 07-15-11, 08:47 AM   #52
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

^^ Definitely more accomplished. They have a World Cup title and can win another one this weekend. The Men's team has a long way to go before they'll be able to claim one if ever.

RIP RvP
Old 07-21-11, 02:09 PM   #53
Teal Sc400
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-E View Post
I think the US womens soccer team is better then the US mens soccer team ...just saying Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS wanted View Post
^^ Definitely more accomplished. They have a World Cup title and can win another one this weekend. The Men's team has a long way to go before they'll be able to claim one if ever.
That's like comparing apples and oranges...The woman's field is less competitive compared to the the man's World Cup Soccer League. The women only have a handful of strong/competitive teams and back in '99 their were less.

That Final (loss to Japan) was a hard one to swallow, considering they scored the go ahead goal with a few minutes left in OT. One of a few things I dislike about the sport of soccer. They like to prolong the game when goals are scarce. OT should be sudden death first one that scores wins the game. IMO coach made to many mistakes with her decisions go with the player's that have shined in the World Cup: taking Megan Rapinoe out of the game bad move, she's good on PK and the order, put your best player's first on PK (ex.) Abby Wambach.
Old 07-21-11, 03:59 PM   #54
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

^ ^ Agreed it's not really a fair comparison. That's why I didn't make a direct comparison but there's no denying the women's team is more accomplished than the men's. Also, there is no World Cup 'Soccer League.' Countries qualify for the World Cup based on their confederation tournament and the confederations are generally determined by geography. The CONCACAF confederation (North America, Central America, and the Caribbean) is generally dominated by the U.S. and Mexico on the men's side in recent years. So, while the men have a decent history of qualifying they haven't ever done better than the round of 16 or quarterfinals of the WC. And this is with historically more developed professional leagues than the women have had (i.e. the old NASL, the current MLS, and the USL.)

In contrast, as the women's professional league grows here in the U.S. other countries get better because international players are offered playing careers here or in Europe where the women's leagues are getting stronger as well. But, the men generally have to go over and play in Europe to play at the highest level. So, while we get better player development and guys have a viable option of staying home to play if they're not good enough to play in Europe we'll always be a couple steps behind the major countries IMO. Mexico, our biggest rival, is in a similar boat even though their domestic professional league has a much deeper history than ours.

As for the women's WC final, yes, that loss was a hard one for sure. Soccer used to have a Golden Goal (or sudden death) format. Some argue the new format is better and some think it stinks. When you had referrees too often tricked into awarding phantom PKs for dives in the box in overtime the new format helps fight that a bit. But people will argue the new format, the change in offside rules, and whether goal line technology should be implemented ad nauseum.

I agree that the PKs should have been taken in a different order. I can understand wanting the captain (Boxx) to go first but I probably would have switched that. Boxx was lucky against Brazil to get a second chance at her PK. Against Japan she just blew it. Wambach definitely would have been my second choice at a minimum if I didn't have her go first. There's really no excuse for the team missing 3 PKs though.

But, just when I thought I'd seen it all I switched over to watch Brazil's men (of ALL teams) miss ALL 4 of their PKs and lose to Paraguay in the Copa America. Talk about strange occurences. Argentina are hosting the tournament and they were eliminated early and then the other favorites, Brazil, get eliminated by missing ALL of their PKs.

RIP RvP
Old 07-22-11, 08:43 PM   #55
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Reasons you should have rooted for Venezuela to win the Copa America final...too bad they're only in for the 3rd place trophy.

Meet Diosa Canales, the Model Who Will Pose Nude If Venezuela Wins Copa America
http://www.brobible.com/bronews/stor...a-copa-america

RIP RvP

Last edited by GS wanted; 07-22-11 at 11:31 PM..
Old 07-28-11, 02:13 PM   #56
Joey-E
Lexus Champion

^^^

Bradley Fired as Coach of U.S. Soccer Team

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/sp...ccer-team.html
Old 08-02-11, 12:24 AM   #57
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

^^ Bradley's firing is overdue. They've wanted Klinsmann for some time now and hopefully he can change things around and get the best out of these players. I think Freddy Adu needs to be in the squad more and given the freedom to just be the creative midfielder playing in the hole behind the striker(s). We also need some better defenders across the back line. Klinsmann has his work cut out for him but there's talent out there to pick from. First game in charge is against Mexico so what a welcome to the USMNT. ha ha

RIP RvP
Old 08-08-11, 01:57 PM   #58
Allen K
Epic Allen
Trader Score: (4)

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...el-angel-coira

Real Madrid signs a 7 year old prospect

TLN # π--> Allen G(oat)

Thanks...
Allen K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 02:01 PM   #59
Joey-E
Lexus Champion

Mexico 1 USA 1 international friendly. With a few new starters/lineup/bench and new head coach (something i was talking about for some time) the usa team looked way better and came out to play in the 2nd half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRig6iFTgE

Last edited by Joey-E; 08-11-11 at 02:08 PM..
Joey-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 04:38 AM   #60
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Terrible first half, improved second half, still a ways to go in figuring out best formation and personnel. My preference is to see Freddy Adu and Landon Donovan playing together. Bradley is not a creative attacking midfielder. He looked REALLY out of his element in that role. Torres is a good player but had a terrible game IMO. In a game where he should have shined and proved his worth he played pretty mediocre.
In the end, a draw is better than a loss and Klinsmann at least looks willing to try new things...sort of.

RIP RvP
Old 08-13-11, 04:38 AM