Robocalling scourge may not be unstoppable after all - Club Lexus Forums

Robocalling scourge may not be unstoppable after all

Old 08-09-16, 01:58 PM   #1
RA40

Default Robocalling scourge may not be unstoppable after all

More at the link. Each day we'll get from 10-20 robo type calls from a variety of numbers. Most are blocked but always some new number pops in. I have area codes and prefixes blocked but they keep on calling with new ones. :/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...ble-after-all/

Quote:
New data shows that the majority of robot-enabled scam phone calls came from fewer than 40 call centers, a finding that offers hope the growing menace of robocalls can be stopped.The calls use computers and the Internet to dial thousands of phone numbers every minute and promote fraudulent schemes that promise to lower credit card interest rates, offer loans, and sell home security products, to name just a few of the scams. Over the past decade, robocall complaints have mushroomed, with the Federal Trade Commission often receiving hundreds of thousands of complaints each month. In 2013, the consumer watchdog agency awarded $50,000 to three groups who devised blocking systems that had the potential to help end the scourge. Three years later, however, the robocall problem seems as intractable as ever.
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 02:22 PM   #2
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

38 drone strikes later, silence.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 02:49 PM   #3
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGS4 View Post
a script run 38 times later, silence.
fixed. less messy.
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 02:53 PM   #4
mjeds
Lexus Test Driver

I've been using nomorobo on my home phone for over a year, it is offered free of charge through your phone company (ATT, Verizon, Time Warner for certain), you have to go into your online profile or call in to have it activated and set up.

With Time Warner is was very easy, went into the online profile and clicked a couple boxes and done.

the calls will still ring your phone once.. it has to connect to you in order to work, but one ring and then the line goes dead. we went from 10+ a day to zero over night. Verizon Wireless recently announced it will be added to their wireless service in Q1 next year for $5 a month.

While I hate the idea of spending $5 a month for such a service, I hate the calls more.
mjeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 04:53 PM   #5
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

They are so annoying and it gets worse, I don't answer my phone anymore unless I recognize the number. They are getting more of your information because so many things we use and do are now requiring or trying to get more and more personal information especially online. Every email service I use wants my cell phone/home phone number for some bizarre reason and they keep bugging me to give it to them, youtube/google wants your phone number to use their site. Signing up for or using almost anything online they want your cell phone/home phone now, it used to be it was optional, now they are being more and more aggressive in getting it, some even requiring the number to be confirmed by a call to make sure you don't give a fake number, all so they can sell your number and internet activity/habits to 3rd parties. I never give out my phone number if I can help it but it is getting harder and harder to not to, I try to always use a fake name and info for most things online and not give out any personal info but it is getting harder to do.
UDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 06:25 PM   #6
mjeds
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
They are so annoying and it gets worse, I don't answer my phone anymore unless I recognize the number. They are getting more of your information because so many things we use and do are now requiring or trying to get more and more personal information especially online. Every email service I use wants my cell phone/home phone number for some bizarre reason and they keep bugging me to give it to them, youtube/google wants your phone number to use their site. Signing up for or using almost anything online they want your cell phone/home phone now, it used to be it was optional, now they are being more and more aggressive in getting it, some even requiring the number to be confirmed by a call to make sure you don't give a fake number, all so they can sell your number and internet activity/habits to 3rd parties. I never give out my phone number if I can help it but it is getting harder and harder to not to, I try to always use a fake name and info for most things online and not give out any personal info but it is getting harder to do.
get a burner phone. pay per use phone that you can validate as a real number but don't used for any other purpose.

I get bothered on my home phone, but that number belonged to someone before I got it, I haven't given that number out ever and it used to get a dozen robo calls a day.. always give out my cell and don't really have an issue, I get 1 or 2 every few months.
mjeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 10:18 AM   #7
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
They are so annoying and it gets worse, I don't answer my phone anymore unless I recognize the number.
yep, same here -- then with my Android phone it gets added to the "reject calls" list.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 06:23 PM   #8
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

Are these the same ****** that use phone spoofing?

Also, I like Dave's solution.
BrettJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 08:24 PM   #9
RA40

Yup. I also like Dave's solution.
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 06:46 PM   #10
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When I don't want any calls (such as when I am asleep). I just keep the ringer on my landline turned off, the answering machine volume on zero, and my cell-phone ringer off and set to Do Not Disturb. Presto........no Disturb. Then, when I get up after a nice nap or sleep, I just delete all the of the nonsense and bull**** calls....most of which are scams anyway.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 12:02 AM   #11
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

One time I was robocalled about lowering my interest rate on my credit card. I pressed 1, and told the gentleman from India on the other end that I actually wanted my interest rate raised. He didn't know what to say and then hung up on me.
DRivera250 is offline   Reply With Quote