Getting rid of cats - Club Lexus Forums

Getting rid of cats

Old 05-17-16, 07:24 PM   #1
Jks24
Driver

Default Getting rid of cats

Short story my neighbor and his wife are a**holes who have been talked to 5 times politely about his cats going to the bathroom in my gardens, lawn, deck, and my Egyptian cotton bed set on my clothes line, also his cats jump all over my parents cars as well as mine and my fiancee's cars scratching the ***** out of them. My women and mother have told me repeatedly they will not talk to me if i kill the cats, so i put cat nip and crushed tai chili peppers mixed together does anyone think it will work also any other ideas that will hurt the cat but will not kill them? Anything is accepted at this point.

Last edited by Lil4X; 05-18-16 at 09:27 AM. Reason: fixed typo in title
Jks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 07:31 PM   #2
Jks24
Driver

And no i am not moving my parents have lived here for 40 years and myself for 24 they have lived there for 10 months.
Old 05-17-16, 07:49 PM   #3
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Catch the cats, take off their collars, and call the pound about some strays.
Jewcano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 07:53 PM   #4
NateJG
Pole Position

https://www.bing.com/search?q=gettin...rd&form=APIPA1
NateJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 08:04 PM   #5
Jks24
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewcano View Post
Catch the cats, take off their collars, and call the pound about some strays.
My bad man i forgot to say i live in east bum ***** small town USA haha. I called the dog catcher/ animal control and i was told "what do you want me me to do about it". Also the guys cats have no collars i also googled "how to get rid of cats" i was hoping some one had first hand experience.
Old 05-17-16, 08:57 PM   #6
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Pressure washer aimed their way a few times?
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 09:21 PM   #7
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

My roommate suggests possibly taking pictures of the damages the cat does, and then possibly perusing legal action against their owners. If they don't respond to polite talk, perhaps they'll respond to a hit in the pocketbook.
Jewcano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 09:05 AM   #8
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

not that complicated.....altho cats don't go to the bathroom (shti) on lawns-that would be a dog.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-18-16 at 09:17 AM.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 09:07 AM   #9
Allen K
Epic Allen

Not the best idea I've had, but maybe you could return the cat poop to them. You know, on their door handles, on their cars, on their windows...
Allen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 09:18 AM   #10
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Cats are hanging out at your place because they find something attractive there. Whether it's food, companionship, or shelter it's pretty obvious they're going to seek it out. Remove food sources, cover garbage cans, and close up access to spaces under your home, porch. Feral cats often seek "wild" food too, so if they're catching rodents, that's good, but it's better if you control the pests yourself.

Cats seek out high perches from which they can survey the neighborhood. Whether it's a porch railing or the top of your car they feel safe from other animals that might harm them if they can get off the ground with a clear field of view. That means you are going to have little pawprints on your car unless it's garaged. In a worst-case scenario, they may be "marking" your car . . . a neighbor's cat used to routinely "spray" my RX's passenger-side windshield every few days to declare his ownership of the hood of the car. Yeah, I've had a little experience, not all of it effective - but here are a few ideas . . .

There are "shock mats" that use a 9v. battery to produce a mild shock (like a bug racket) when an animal steps on it. At $30 to $40, whether these are worth the expense is your call. Be careful that you turn it OFF before removing and entering your car. A water pistol is probably just as effective, provided you can spare the hours on watch to give the intruder a few squirts. Be careful not to squirt your car, because then YOU are the one wrecking the wash job.

Red pepper can discourage dogs, and most cats by messing with their sense of smell. Ammonia is a classic treatment (smells like another cat's urine/marker) as is tobacco (or nicotine solutions, sold as the organic bug killer "Black Leaf 40" in garden shops) that will tend to repel animals from a specific area. Don't put any of these compounds on your car, they may damage the finish, but treat the area around it. Once an animal is discouraged several times from getting on your car, the training usually lasts for a few weeks.

Not everything works on every animal, so be patient and keep trying. Cat claws are made of keratin, the same material that's in your fingernails, so they shouldn't damage paint too deeply - however if they find a favorite scratching post (our feral cats prefer tires, if not my leg) they may divert their attentions there.

If all else fails, build a "cat tree" or "kitty condo" out of scraps of wood and carpeting. It doesn't have to be as elaborate as those you find in cat-centric homes or pet stores. Those are really expensive - but if you can build a birdhouse, you can DIY this easily. There are plenty of examples, even plans available online. It doesn't even have to be a fine work of cabinetry, those cats don't care . . . so long as it is secure, soft, and high.

The idea is to make it more inviting than your car, pick a high spot that's still accessible, Cats can jump as much as 5 feet, so don't worry about building them an elaborate stairway - but make it easily accessible . . . . their curiosity will do the rest. Be sure it's in the shade and offers an unobstructed view of the surrounding area. Add a couple of toys, a handful of catnip growing in a small pot, and a little soft carpet can make it more attractive and comfortable. Placing it near your car or other venue your feral neighbors hang out can make it the preferred alternative to your car.

Last edited by Lil4X; 05-18-16 at 09:22 AM.
Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 09:18 AM   #11
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
Not the best idea I've had, but maybe you could return the cat poop to them. You know, on their door handles, on their cars, on their windows...
I've tossed dog shti back on the neighbors lawn lots of times
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 10:03 AM   #12
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

Kill the cats, don't tell your family.
BrettJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 12:35 PM   #13
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

invest in an airsoft gun and be careful of where you aim.
yllwneck86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 03:09 PM   #14
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Or, adopt a dog.
Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 03:45 PM   #15
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Humane: cayenne pepper spinkled around your lawn.

Inhumane: thumbtacks sprinkled around your lawn.
PhilipMSPT is offline   Reply With Quote