Register Forgot Password?

Windows 10 Thread

Old 01-21-15, 11:19 AM   #1
Stormwind
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Windows 10 Thread

It's going to have a lot of new features such as:

1. The ability to miniumize and maximize apps and move it around. (amazing)
2. Be able to use windows 10 with a mouse or touch screen. (very innovative)
3. Windows 10 now has a start button (just like win 95)

They are so confident about this new OS they are going to give it away for free. (For the first year according to MS). I just dont see a reason for anybody holding on to their 7 anymore.

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Stormwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 04:52 PM   #2
don
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)

don.trinh donsjsu

Wonder why Windows 9 was skipped? No, not because Windows 7 (ate) 9.

Quote:
Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

PHP Code:
if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))

/* 95 and 98 */ 
else 
and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.
Sounds plausible to me! I find it pretty funny, yet good planning.

2010 SFP Lexus IS350
F-Sport, GFX, JP Vizage, Forgestar

TLN# null
don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 05:11 PM   #3
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Trader Score: (22)

Dark Cloud XS Death_Anghell

Windows 10 sounds good to me. Windows 8 isn't too bad on a touch screen computer but I sure miss the Start button.

I'm going old school on my next PC and running Windows 3.1, Windows 95, or even the legendary Windows 98. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of 98 somewhere.
95 Toyota Supra

さくら

Kira X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 05:14 PM   #4
JessePS

yishai_ettebe jesteraver

The Microsoft HoloLens is just amazing.
JessePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 05:35 PM   #5
tecman
Lead Lap

Is this the first time Microsoft has offered a public beta release on their OS?
Old 01-21-15, 05:38 PM   #6
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Wonder why Windows 9 was skipped? No, not because Windows 7 (ate) 9.

Sounds plausible to me! I find it pretty funny, yet good planning.
Sounds plausible, but is actually not the case. Only Modern/Metro apps get the actual version number when they ask. But there's no reason they would use that logic, because they were written from the ground up a decade after 95/98 went out of support.

When Desktop apps (Win32/WOW64) request the version number in Windows 10, they get 6.4 as an answer. Vista, which was version 6.0, broke a lot of stuff that would have otherwise have worked because version checking much like in your example was looking for 5.x. Microsoft has elected not to make that mistake again in the intervening years.

Here's the breakdown:

NT4: 4.0
2000: 5.0
XP: 5.1
2003R2/XP x64 2003 edition: 5.2
Vista: 6.0
7: 6.1
8: 6.2
8.1: 6.3
10: 6.4

The claim is that 10 is such a big advance over 8/8.1 that it justifies skipping a number. But I think the real reason is that this is the last major release of Windows, and 10 is a more significant place to stop than 9 (Much like every Mac OS for the past 13 years has been OS X). The future for Windows will more closely resemble a subscription or app store model, where there will be frequent, incremental updates rather than huge new versions every 2-4 years.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 06:04 PM   #7
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
Trader Score: (4)

Send a message via ICQ to Jewcano Send a message via AIM to Jewcano Send a message via MSN to Jewcano Send a message via Yahoo to Jewcano Send a message via Skype™ to Jewcano

They mention the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 will be free for a year. What do they mean by that? So you can 'demo' it for a year, then pay full price after that? Or are they going to be stupid and do a subscription based OS?

I couldn't find a definitive answer for it.

01 GS430 -Yeahhhh awesome ride!
Friendster!!!
Jewcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 06:23 PM   #8
geko29
Oil Burner

It's a play to increase adoption. If you upgrade within the first year, you pay nothing for the upgrade. In month 13 there may be a nominal fee. However/whenever you upgrade (whether paid or not), you get updates for free forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Meyerson, VP of Operating Systems
"Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device—at no additional charge."

Old 01-21-15, 06:39 PM   #9
SNiiP3R
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
They are so confident about this new OS they are going to give it away for free. (For the first year according to MS). I just dont see a reason for anybody holding on to their 7 anymore.
Knowing Microsoft, they will force all W7 users to move to W10. Most likely they will stop supporting W7 shortly after W10 is released.
SNiiP3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 05:51 AM   #10
Allen K
Epic Allen
Trader Score: (4)

XP was supported for 12 years, 7 will get support for a while especially since corporate clients aren't going to be scrambling to upgrade

2007 IS350, Tungsten/Black Lux/Nav/ML - Sold after 111,667 reliable miles

TLN # π--> Allen G(oat)

Thanks...
Allen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 07:24 AM   #11
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
XP was supported for 12 years, 7 will get support for a while especially since corporate clients aren't going to be scrambling to upgrade
7 just went to the extended support phase last week. This means that at a minimum, patches and updates--but no new/additional functionality--will be published until 2020. However, they may choose to extend this further.

So you have a minimum of an 11-year lifecycle. To put that into perspective, this desktop operating system that was released one year before iPhone OS was renamed iOS (with the release of 3.0 for the iPhone 3GS) will still be supported until the same year that iOS 14 comes out. At the point that MS is finally (potentially) dropping support for an OS released in 2009, Apple will be dropping support for an OS released in 2018, and Windows 10 will have been on the market for nearly 5 years.

Last edited by geko29; 01-22-15 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 12:57 PM   #12
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewcano View Post
They mention the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 will be free for a year. What do they mean by that? So you can 'demo' it for a year, then pay full price after that? Or are they going to be stupid and do a subscription based OS?
no, you will get a free license for win10 if you upgrade within the year after its release from win8. it's to encourage luddites to get off xp/vista/7 and move to 8 now to get 10 free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecman View Post
Is this the first time Microsoft has offered a public beta release on their OS?
it won't be a beta, it will be the real thing. microsoft does tons of beta and release candidate releases some limited, some public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
7 just went to the extended support phase last week. This means that at a minimum, patches and updates--but no new/additional functionality--will be published until 2020.
i don't agree they have to go to 2020 or longer, and i bet they don't. or maybe they'll support it for those with increasingly more expensive support contracts. i had the misfortune of having to setup a new desktop with win7 today, and was appalled at how long it takes to boot compared to 8 and how many frigging patches (100s) had to be applied to a brand new pc. however i did like the dell optiplex 3020m which was about 6"x6"x1" it came with win 8.1 pro also but client wants to stay on 7.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 12:58 PM   #13
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
I just dont see a reason for anybody holding on to their 7 anymore.
didn't you only just get off xp which you said was the greatest thing ever with no room for improvement?
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 02:41 PM   #14
Stormwind
Lexus Test Driver

Default Microsoft VP Details Windows 10 Update for Windows Phone

Quote:
Microsoft used its Lumia Conversations blog today to give some of the details for the upcoming software update for Windows Phone, which will be moved to Windows 10. Chris Weber, Corporate Vice President of Sales for the Microsoft Mobile group address the update, and gave details as to which devices will be eligible. Unlike the update from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8, the entire lineup should be eligible for Windows 10 on the phone, although not all of the experiences will be available on all devices due to hardware limitations.

Though Chris Weber did not address all devices, he did specifically mention the new low end Lumia 435, and that their goal is “for the majority of the Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 to join the Windows ecosystem” so there should be no issues with any Lumia device getting upgraded. As for other Windows Phone OEMs, they should be safe too but of course that may depend on each OEM and wireless carriers updating the devices, which is not always the case.

In any case, there will be a technical preview for Windows Phone as well. Along the same lines as the Developer Preview for Windows Phone, which is an app that unlocks much quicker software updates for Windows Phone users, the Phone Insider app will allow people to try out the latest build on their Windows Phone 8 devices. The app is available on the store now, even though the actual OS update for the phone will not be available to Windows Insiders for a week or two.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8924/m...ws-phone-users
Stormwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 02:48 PM   #15
1sWt2GS
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (5)

Im still here using Windows 7

All Stock

If you got a speeding ticket... You're not low enough.

// \\ All SHOW no GO
1sWt2GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 02:48 PM