Register Forgot Password?

Home Repair/Maintenance Forums?

Old 01-19-15, 08:52 AM   #1
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000548829927 AWD GS
Default Home Repair/Maintenance Forums?

just curious if anyone is on any home repair/maintenance forums? I know there is probably a ton out there but just wanted to get an idea from other members if they like one forum over another or found one that has good info. I recently bought my first house and would like to start researching and reading any much as possible on any issues just so i can get a well rounded idea on how to fix/repair any issues i come across. Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD Glacier Frost Mica - Black - ML Package
20" x 8.5" Status Knight Wheels Black with Machine Face | Bridgestone G-Force Tires 245/30/20 | BC Racing Coilovers | Carson Tuned Lip Kit | 3000k HID Fogs | Prestigious Society Navi/DVD Override Kit | 15% Tint | Black Roof and Window Trim
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 09:37 AM   #2
geko29
Oil Burner
Trader Score: (0)

I do most of my research for "home" topics on The Gardenweb. Not an officia" endorsement, just my own preference. I've used it for research on appliances, kitchen design, that sort of stuff, but there's a "Home Repair" section there as well.

Format/layout is not great, IMO, but I've always found good info.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 10:11 AM   #3
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (8)

I've done some readings on this forum in the past.

I like it, but then again, I'm not there much.

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/
GS3Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 10:26 AM   #4
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

thanks guys!

the 2 ive been eye are:
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php
http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum/forum.php

the layouts look pretty good and they appear to cover a broad range of topics. just want to start reading random threads to get an idea of issue and solutions

20" x 8.5" Status Knight Wheels Black with Machine Face | Bridgestone G-Force Tires 245/30/20 | BC Racing Coilovers | Carson Tuned Lip Kit | 3000k HID Fogs | Prestigious Society Navi/DVD Override Kit | 15% Tint | Black Roof and Window Trim
Old 01-19-15, 05:26 PM   #5
Individual
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (7)

Congrats on your home purchase.

My wife and I bought our first home a few months ago as well, and we like to tackle certain projects on our own. I finished removing all the popcorn texture from all of the ceilings, along with doing other stuff, thanks to searching on such forums.

Thanks for the links, one of them is actually not blocked from my work

Current: '12 SFP IS350 F-Sport
Previous: '09 SGM IS250 modded
Individual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 04:29 AM   #6
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individual View Post
Congrats on your home purchase.

My wife and I bought our first home a few months ago as well, and we like to tackle certain projects on our own. I finished removing all the popcorn texture from all of the ceilings, along with doing other stuff, thanks to searching on such forums.

Thanks for the links, one of them is actually not blocked from my work
congrats to you as well!

yea i already ran into a few small issues but my brother in law is pretty handy and has helped me plus i work in a construction company as a detailer so i have a ton of resources at work i can bounce things off of as well too.

Old 01-20-15, 07:12 PM   #7
LazarusLng
Driver

A word of advice. If you don't know how to do something, don't fake it. It will only frustrate the guy who comes along after you. I am currently in the middle of a remodeling project on my house. Approx 700sqft. master bedroom. The previous owner had done some work, new windows, insulation, drywall, and electrical on the two exterior walls. The drywall was poorly done, the insulation was also done wrong, and the framing that was attempted for the new windows was a joke. Wiring was safe, but the outlets were too close to the floor, and not spaced out properly. The windows seemed like decent quality, but it turns out that the glass packs have leaked, so I need to replace the sashes. I was not planning on redoing all of that when I started. It has turned into a total tear out, but when its done, it will practically be new.
LazarusLng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 03:48 AM   #8
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLng View Post
A word of advice. If you don't know how to do something, don't fake it. It will only frustrate the guy who comes along after you. I am currently in the middle of a remodeling project on my house. Approx 700sqft. master bedroom. The previous owner had done some work, new windows, insulation, drywall, and electrical on the two exterior walls. The drywall was poorly done, the insulation was also done wrong, and the framing that was attempted for the new windows was a joke. Wiring was safe, but the outlets were too close to the floor, and not spaced out properly. The windows seemed like decent quality, but it turns out that the glass packs have leaked, so I need to replace the sashes. I was not planning on redoing all of that when I started. It has turned into a total tear out, but when its done, it will practically be new.
i agree. im the first to admit when i dont know something. it will cost more to fix if i mess it up more

Old 01-21-15, 05:31 PM   #9
LazarusLng
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXI187IXI View Post
i agree. im the first to admit when i dont know something. it will cost more to fix if i mess it up more
I figured as much. Most people who attempt to do things that they have no clue about, aren't going to seek knowledge on their own. Do you have any projects in mind? Or are you just preparing for when something happens?
LazarusLng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 04:47 AM   #10
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLng View Post
I figured as much. Most people who attempt to do things that they have no clue about, aren't going to seek knowledge on their own. Do you have any projects in mind? Or are you just preparing for when something happens?
just preparing for when something happens. almost everything in the house is new to newer so its really just keeping up with the maintenance of things. i did have an issue over the weekend though with water coming through the water in my basement. its 90% a finished basement minus a little section closed off for the washer/dryer/furnace/hot water heater. long story short with all the freezing rain we had, something backed up behind my neighbors central air unit and i had some seepage coming through a mortar joint. easy fix but just want to read up on all kinds of things to help extended my knowledge. i spent years and years on car forums to learn everything so now that i have a house, i think its time to make a switch over

Old 01-22-15, 04:47 AM