Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Carpet Steam Cleaners

Old 11-22-14, 04:26 PM   #1
ABC
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Question Carpet Steam Cleaners

Does anyone have one? I am looking for some feedback on them.

Long story short: I have old thick wool whiteish carpets in 75% of my apt. My landlord does not want to replace them, so i get them professionally steam cleaned 1-2x/year (i have lived here 6+ years). Keeps them looking pretty good.

Cleaning them costs around $100-150/pop. Most steam cleaners are around $100-200. I am thinking i could do this myself, but wanted to see if they are worth the price over professional.

Thoughts? Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 11-22-14, 10:35 PM   #2
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

Some years back, maybe 9 we bought a Bissell 9500 carpet cleaner. I'd clean the carpets about twice a year and for any spot areas that needed it. We don't like having to be at the mercy of an outside company's schedule and can clean when we want. That was the biggest plus to having it.

It is bulkier than a typical upright vacuum and it has the usual vast amounts of plastics in the construction. Does it clean better or worse than the rental units at the market? To me it is about the same. As far as the pro gear that the commercial companies use, I might give them the edge there. The commercial guys pull a bit more water out then the home owner units. That is why when we got one I tended to clean on hot days so the carpets would dry sufficiently.

We want to clean with less harsh chemicals, so you also have options to mix the ratio and cleaner you desire. Like white vinegar.

Cost at the time was ~$300-$350 and I'm glad we have it.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 10:59 AM   #3
darkdream
Lexus Champion

The ones you are looking at aren't probably commercial grade ones. A while ago, costco had a really nice one for about $400. If you use it that often, you should opt for a better unit. Whenever I used cleaning services in the past, they did a lousy job and always asked more than the quoted price. It is very easy to do it yourself. The only hassle is moving furniture around.
darkdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 11:10 AM   #4
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Trader Score: (2)

profile.php?id=100001050339562 @DaveGS4 DaveGS4 The Real DaveGS4

I've got a Hoover steam cleaner version and it does an ok job. It has a little float piece in it at the top of the tank that pops up while cleaning and you have to stop and correct it which is annoying. I wouldn't buy another

If you've got limited storage space, I'd also recommend looking at rentals from your local grocery store or Home Depot. These things aren't small and storage for something you use every six months (plus all the chemicals ) is a consideration.

*** Click image for team info! ***

LS430 Ultra * PCS * ML * Rear Fridge * Massaging and Reclining Rear Seats * Vaistech SL-I * Coastal Lockpick

Tundra SR5 5.7 and BMW E36 M3/4 track car (wife's)

** Want to put your PC to good use every night?** Click here to join the Club Lexus Folding Team and help find a cure for cancer and other diseases. May the force be with you.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 11:55 AM   #5
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMut View Post
Does anyone have one? I am looking for some feedback on them.

Long story short: I have old thick wool whiteish carpets in 75% of my apt. My landlord does not want to replace them, so i get them professionally steam cleaned 1-2x/year (i have lived here 6+ years). Keeps them looking pretty good.

Cleaning them costs around $100-150/pop. Most steam cleaners are around $100-200. I am thinking i could do this myself, but wanted to see if they are worth the price over professional.

Thoughts? Thanks!
consumer carpet steam cleaners aren't even close to as powerful as what professionals typically use. pros usually use a hose connected to a giant tank and compressor in their vehicle and so they can get MUCH more dirt out of a carpet than the typical hoover type unit.

having said that i do have a hoover 'steamvac' carpet cleaner/floor although i wouldn't say it's exactly a steam cleaner since the liquid is only as hot as what you put in the tank - i don't believe it heats at all. it sprays on the carpet and has brushes (and a hand brush head) to get into the carpet somewhat and suck the resulting dirty liquid back into a disposal reservoir. it definitely does something as the reservoir is always full of FILTHY liquid after but again, i noticed a big difference when i had a pro do it all. YMMV
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 02:14 PM   #6
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Professionals have experience. It's not always perfect (you have to choose your service carefully), but they generally know what it takes to get out grease, pet presents, and general tracked-in dirt. They also have the equipment and the chemicals to remove it (usually) without destroying your carpet.

One BIG advantage of a professional service is that THEY move the furniture to clean the room - then move it back when the job is done and the carpet dry. OK, it's expensive, but what's a visit to the ER and a couple of prescriptions going to cost you?
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 07:30 PM   #7
ABC
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, maybe rentals is the way to go unless i want to spend $300+ for a semi-pro model. Things to think about. Thanks again
Old 11-26-14, 11:48 AM   #8
UDel
Lexus Champion

A couple years ago my mom rented a steamcleaner from Lowes or Home Depot, the red ones. She asked me to come over and try and clean some areas in the light tan carpet that were stained pretty dark from heavy foot traffic. I have never used a steam cleaner, I tried it and it barely seemed to do anything, not what I was expecting after seeing commercials. I don't think it heats the water at all or turns it to steam nor did it seem to get the carpets very wet, it really seems to be just a vacuum cleaner that can suck up moisture.

I went online and many suggested to mix your own cleaning solution. I decided to rub the rug down with the solution/rag then go over with it with the steam cleaner. There were several home remedy solutions I tried with a variety of products added which I I think was hot water, some vinegar, oxyclean, shout stain cleaner, baking soda, and a small amount of bleach. I mixed it in a bucket and used a rag to soak and rub the heavy foot traffic stains where she wanted them cleaned the most, I did not spend much time doing it. I then made sure the rest of the solution was hot and put it in the steam cleaner. This time it made a huge difference, stains were almost un noticeable and gone. I don't know if the steam cleaner made the difference or the solution and rubbing the stains with a soaked rag but the steam cleaner did get rid of most of the suds and the rug was pretty clean afterward.
Old 11-26-14, 01:01 PM   #9
rxonmymind
Lead Lap

Having done this for several years I'll tell you to look for a professional cleaner with IICRC certification that also uses an RX-20 rotary cleaner. Unbelievable results and nothing can compare to it. Nothing.
As for doing yourself that's OK too. Just always remember the job of detergent. It's to attract dirt. Keeping that in mind always use a wee bit less than the recommended amount and rinse very well. When rinsing and sucking up the cleaning solution remember to empty the tank when it's only a quarter full. Why? Without getting into the physics orbit a tank that is half full losses it's suction power expotentially. Thats what you have people like Mr. Dyson come along and solve.perplexing issues of suction loss.
Anyway using your own do remember to clean in gradual layers and not to leave the carpet soaking wet. Coming into the winter months its a good idea to turn the heater on and a have an oscillating fan blow it dry. Otherwise I have seen carpets take two days to dry and that isn't good.
Rules of maintain a carpet.
NEVER use sprinkle powder on carpet as air freshner. That just "clay" that will get imbedded into the carpet over the year and when it comes time to clean the carpet will soak up the water.
I was often asked what is the best vacuum? My answer? One that's used......often. It could be a $40 special in good working condition that if used three times a week will do a better job than that one vacuum that cost $1800 and is only used once a week.
Always wear socks on carpets. Otherwise the oils from your feet get imbedded in the fiber which then attracts dirt.
Good luck!
rxonmymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-14, 07:11 PM   #10
lucidspoon
Driver School Candidate

I have a Bissell for emergencies. Might not be as good as a pro service, but it works in a pinch. In fact, I bought it in a severe emergency where I was painting our nursery and proceeded to dump a 1/2 gallon bucket of grey paint on white carpet... Ran to the store and bought the first thing I saw. Did a pretty good job. There's a bit of a stain, but compared to how bad it could have been, it's pretty small.

Just used it again tonight when my wife spilt a red drink. Also cleaned up another stain that I don't know where it came from. Now, the only problem is that those two spots look cleaner than the rest of the room... Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

I think this is the one I have: http://www.target.com/p/bissell-proheat-essential-complete-deep-cleaner-88523/-/A-14673104
lucidspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-14, 06:26 AM   #11
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

rxonmymind - great tips thanks!
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 08:46 PM   #12
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

For consumer-level DIY carpet cleaning, IME nothing beats the Bissell Big Green. It is amazing (and quite a bit disgusting really) how much dirt that thing picks up. I rented a Rug Doctor once and was really disappointed with it - it is nowhere near as good as the Bissell Big Green.

Also, one of the advantages of DIY is precisely that you don't have to move your furniture......

As rxonmymind mentioned, make sure not to use more detergent then specified, and make sure to do rinse passes.

Finally, cleaning 2x/year seems excessive no matter what... have you considered just going barefoot? (Isn't that the point of carpet? )
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 10:28 AM   #13
rxonmymind
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
rxonmymind - great tips thanks!
Your welcome.
A major complaint that I've heard is the quickness in how fast they get dirty. Now if you had your carpets cleaned and in three months you can see it's dirty again ( all things being equal you don't have five kids tracking in dirt) that's probably due to the carpet guy using/leaving too much detergent and not rinsing well enough. Detergent by it's very nature attract dirt. Easy fix though. Have them on the next run ONLY use a pre spray (usually an orange/soapy scent) and hot rinse .

As others have posted with portable machines you buy use maybe a quarter or half of the recommended detergent and always HOT H2o. This is due to the machines low power that can't extract as well as a 40hp truck mount.

The reason for my recommendation of the hydramaster RX-20 is due to the octopus arms that rotate at 600 rpms a minute. Used this machine for years. This can't be matched by a guy with a stick. Also from an investment standpoint you know the guy is serious as those cost 3k.
By the end, the carpet by touch should be slightly damp (like wrung out towel) not soaking wet. This also shows the RX suction works properly. A good cleaner will take the time to go over the area only using suction. A double pass. A 30x20 living room should take 25-40 minutes to do depending on the amount of furniture to move etc.
Lol...... I remember a guy coming in once and he was done in twenty minutes with no furniture to move. No pre spray, vacuuming, and doing a single pass. I called his shop and "discussed" what happened and that I wouldn't pay for this crap hit & run cleaning. He apologized and offered to come out and do it himself. I passed. We recently installed a new carpet to the tune of $6k downstairs because the last guy left the carpet soaking wet. I was out of town. Grrr. Mold.
No lawsuit but my wife was understandably upset. The ONLY reason she didn't go after him was we were just about to replace it after this cleaning. I called the guy up and told him of his malfunctioning truck mount. He apologized, went out to look at his equipment and admitted it was indeed that. I appreciate honesty and not trying to BS me coming from the same field.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 12-02-14 at 11:16 AM..
rxonmymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 10:37 AM   #14
tC2IS350
Rookie

I have Bissel steam cleaner as part of the upstairs of our home is carpeted, but honestly nothing will get carpets as clean as having the professionals come in and clean them for you.

2015 IS350 AWD F-Sport - Ultra White - Rioja Red - Nav/BSM

2006 Scion tC - Gone but not forgotten
tC2IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 10:37 AM