Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Film/TV legend James Garner passes away.

Old 07-20-14, 01:51 PM   #1
UDel
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Default Film/TV legend James Garner passes away.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...-dies-24636809

Few actors could register disbelief, exasperation or annoyance with more comic subtlety.

James Garner had a way of widening his eyes while the corner of his mouth sagged ever so slightly. Maybe he would swallow once to further make his point.

This portrait of fleeting disquiet could be understood, and identified with, by every member of the audience. Never mind Garner was tall, brawny and, well, movie-star handsome. The persona he perfected was never less than manly, good with his dukes and charming to the ladies, but his heroics were kept human-scale thanks to his gift for the comic turn. He remained one of the people.

He burst on the scene with this disarming style in the 1950s TV Western "Maverick," which led to a stellar career in TV and films such as "The Rockford Files" and his Oscar-nominated "Murphy's Romance."

The 86-year-old Garner, who was found dead of natural causes at his Los Angeles home on Saturday, was adept at drama and action. But he was best known for his low-key, wisecracking style, especially on his hit TV series, "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files."

His quick-witted avoidance of conflict offered a refreshing new take on the American hero, contrasting with the blunt toughness of John Wayne and the laconic trigger-happiness of Clint Eastwood.

There's no better display of Garner's everyman majesty than the NBC series "The Rockford Files" (1974-80). He played an L.A. private eye and wrongly jailed ex-con who seemed to rarely get paid, or even get thanks, for the cases he took, while helplessly getting drawn into trouble to help someone who was neither a client nor maybe even a friend. He lived in a trailer with an answering machine that, in the show's opening titles, always took a message that had nothing to do with a paying job, but more often was a complaining call from a cranky creditor.

Through it all, Jim Rockford, however down on his luck, persevered hopefully. He wore the veneer of a cynic, but led with his heart. Putting all that on screen was Garner's magic.

Well into his 70s, the handsome Oklahoman remained active in both TV and film. In 2002, he was Sandra Bullock's father in the film "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." The following year, he joined the cast of "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter," playing the grandfather on the sitcom — and helping ground it with his reassuring presence — after star John Ritter, who played the father, died during the show's second season.

He even scored in commercials. During the late 1970s, he was paired with actress Mariette Hartley in a popular series of ads for Polaroid cameras. Their on-screen banter felt so authentic that many viewers mistakenly believed they were husband and wife.

When Garner received the Screen Actors Guild's lifetime achievement award in 2005, he quipped, "I'm not at all sure how I got here." But in his 2011 memoir, "The Garner Files," he provided some amusing and enlightening clues, including his penchant for bluntly expressed opinions and a practice for decking people who said something nasty to his face — including an obnoxious fan and an abusive stepmother.

I really enjoyed his work, he was a great actor, very likeable. I was surprised I did not hear about it yesterday and only saw it today, he had a big career. I remember watching his breakout show Maverick with my grandfather and parents growing up, I still enjoy watching the old show when it is on, the movie with Mel Gibson was good too. Rockford files was a great show too, lots of memories watching it growing up. He was in a a lot of good Western/comedies like Support Your Local Sheriff, "Support Your Local Gunfighter". "The Great Escape", Grand Prix, Fire In The Sky, etc all great movies I remember him from. I was just watching "Space Cowboys" a week ago on tv.

James Garner was also a very big car/racing enthusiast and stared in the legendary racing movie "Grand Prix". I have read several articles of him being interviewed in car magazines about his experiences in racing, Grand Prix, cars he owns, etc. They have even named a driving move after Garner/Rockford files called "the Rockford turn" which he did in the show all the time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rner/12912049/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180946/
http://jalopnik.com/actor-and-car-lo...-86-1607916299

RIP to a legendary actor/car enthusiast.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by UDel; 07-20-14 at 08:03 PM..
UDel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 01:56 PM   #2
Joey-E
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Also a big Raiders fan
Click the image to open in full size.

RIP Garner!
Old 07-20-14, 06:16 PM   #3
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear of his passing. I remember him most from auto racing and the TV series "Rockford Files".
Old 07-20-14, 07:32 PM   #4
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

RIP James -- very cool dude.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-20-14, 07:58 PM   #5
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Very sad, we've lost a great actor who's subtle humor played well against his matinée idol rugged good looks. His characters never seemed to quite take themselves seriously. With his casual style, he made it all look look so easy. Our prayers for the peace and comfort of his family and many friends. We will miss him.
Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:28 PM   #6
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

rockford files was a great show and he seemed like a genuinely great guy. rip...
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 05:07 PM   #8
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I thought it was cool to watch the Rockford Files as a kid. Great show and a great actor, a sad loss.
Old 07-27-14, 05:54 AM   #9
TripleL
No Substitute

I'm a huge fan of his work. Rockford Files was when I saw him first but he had such a diverse portfolio of work that showed us how talented he truly was. RIP
TLN #411 ~ Got Goat?

Remembering AsianGirl007

Join the CL Folding Team and let’s help find a cure for cancer. Please click here for more information
TripleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 02:29 PM   #10
UDel
Lexus Champion

They had a couple BW episodes of "Maverick" on Encore West last night, I watched them and enjoyed them, forgot how good and entertaining that show was. I will watch the "Maverick" movie with Garner and Gibson in the next week or two. I almost forgot about the 80's movie "Tank" with James Garner, remember watching that movie when I was just a kid on HBO.
Attached Images

Last edited by UDel; 07-27-14 at 02:34 PM..
UDel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 02:29 PM