Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
loved this on gramma (commas) too:
BrettJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 08:37 AM   #18
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Gotta love it, Weird Al gets me! OK, I confess I'm a closet grammar ****, but I've learned to grin and bear it among the online community. Say what you will about the state of our English language and the training our kids get in public school . . . if you want a real shock go back about a hundred or a hundred and fifty years and read what grade school kids were writing in their day. Stilted, yes - by our way of thinking - but their vocabulary and use of words is far beyond that of a college English major today. Yeah, we've changed as a society and it's most evident in our language. We're slowly dumbing down to the standards set by "Idioacracy" in a future world that selects through a reverse-Darwin process, increased reproduction among the dumbest members of society.

Because I've spent my working life writing for the ear, my written grammar is often suspect. It's a whole different ballgame when you write prose to be read aloud rather than read silently. Try it - some things that make sense to they eye are confusing when read aloud. I still try to write for the ear - out of habit.

I used to submit draft scripts and articles to my customers who'd go in and try to correct whole phrases, not realizing the chaos they were creating when those words were heard by someone unfamiliar with the subject matter. I'd tell them, "Take it home and read it to your wife". I used the same technique reading passages of copy to my wife or office staff - When I'd get that same head tilt usually reserved for my dog when I made funny noises, I knew I had a problem in communication. Of course writing for an online audience demands your work make visual sense, but I may have passed the point of no return for aural composition. My bad.
Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 10:47 AM   #19
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

BrettJacks is offline   Reply With Quote