Old 07-15-14, 03:49 PM   #1
armanitran
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

armanitranung armanitran
Default Comcast 'Embarrassed' By The Service Call Making Internet Rounds

Quote:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...ntent=20140715

When a customer service call is described as you pretty much know how it's going to go down before even taking a listen. But in case you haven't heard the condescending, tedious call that's lit up the Internet, here it is:

The recording starts after the call has already been in progress for about 10 minutes, according to , who was trying to cancel his Comcast Internet service. Block writes:

"The representative (name redacted) continued aggressively repeating his questions, despite the answers given, to the point where my wife became so visibly upset she handed me the phone. ...

"This recording picks up roughly 10 minutes into the call, whereby she and I have already played along and given a myriad of reasons and explanations as to why we are canceling (which is why I simply stopped answering the rep's repeated question — it was clear the only sufficient answer was 'Okay, please don't disconnect our service after all')."

Comcast says it's very, very sorry. "We are very embarrassed by the way our employee spoke with Mr. Block and are contacting him to personally apologize," the company said in a statement.
thumbnail

"The way in which our representative communicated with him is unacceptable and not consistent with how we train our customer service representatives. We are investigating this situation and will take quick action. While the overwhelming majority of our employees work very hard to do the right thing every day, we are using this very unfortunate experience to reinforce how important it is to always treat our customers with the utmost respect."

The reinforcement comes at a key time for Comcast. The call struck a chord with hundreds of thousands of listeners; many commented saying they're hoping Google Fiber enters the market in more cities so consumers have better Internet options.

And Comcast is in the midst of of its merger with Time Warner Cable, which will make the cable behemoth even bigger. Will a merger improve speed and/or service? This call is not a great harbinger of things to come.
**Click on the link to listen to the audio**

Check this out, the representative loses his ***** when this guy tries to cancel his service
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
1989 Ferrari 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet
1998 GS400
TLN #17

Last edited by armanitran; 07-16-14 at 07:59 AM..
armanitran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 06:03 PM   #2
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

I have Comast.
Vasili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:41 PM   #3
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
Trader Score: (4)

Send a message via ICQ to Jewcano Send a message via AIM to Jewcano Send a message via MSN to Jewcano Send a message via Yahoo to Jewcano Send a message via Skype™ to Jewcano

I bet you that employee has been hounded for NOT pushing people really hard to stay with the company so he did a complete reversal and went overboard in terms of trying to keep the customers on board. If he's being genuine, then he's the kind of person you watch out for to go postal lol.

01 GS430 -Yeahhhh awesome ride!
Friendster!!!
Jewcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 07:46 AM   #4
armanitran
Lead Lap

armanitranung armanitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewcano View Post
I bet you that employee has been hounded for NOT pushing people really hard to stay with the company so he did a complete reversal and went overboard in terms of trying to keep the customers on board. If he's being genuine, then he's the kind of person you watch out for to go postal lol.
LOL, he's probably on the verge of his final. I feel sorry for the guy. I genuinely think he has poor customer service/sales traits, but has great determination.
1989 Ferrari 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet
1998 GS400
TLN #17
armanitran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 09:04 AM   #5
littlebird
Driver

Sammy Davis llittlebird

unfortunately working customer service in what is most likely a call center like this, if the rep on the phone DOESN'T get the answers to the questions he keeps asking repeatedly, he gets in trouble for it. but he definitely took it way too far. he should have simply notated the account that the customer declined answering the questions and disconnected the services, or he should have gotten a supervisor to talk to the customer.
those jobs are insanely stressful. glad i got out of that.
littlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 09:24 AM   #6
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

My mom works in customer service(specifically with debit cards for a bank). If she acted like this on the phone she would be fired. And you know, I bet after so many years it's hard NOT to be like this towards customers. That guy probably deals with straight up ***** all day long. Still does not justify how he treated this customer though.
BrettJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 11:15 AM   #7
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Bad publicity is better than none.

Maybe this was a stunt to deter future Comcast customers from disconnecting. People will dread calling up to cancel service from now on.
Vasili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 11:54 AM   #8
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasili View Post
Bad publicity is better than none.

Maybe this was a stunt to deter future Comcast customers from disconnecting. People will dread calling up to cancel service from now on.
yep, probably gave the guy a raise for the publicity

but really there's no way as a caller I would go on and on and on back and forth with the CSR, I would've either cussed him out or hung up way sooner and just called back hopefully getting someone else.
Old 07-16-14, 11:56 AM   #9
don
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)

don.trinh donsjsu

They are only embarrassed because they got exposed. The rep probably got a slap on the wrist and a wink and nudge.

2010 SFP Lexus IS350
F-Sport, GFX, JP Vizage, Forgestar

TLN# null
don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 01:42 PM   #10
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
yep, probably gave the guy a raise for the publicity

but really there's no way as a caller I would go on and on and on back and forth with the CSR, I would've either cussed him out or hung up way sooner and just called back hopefully getting someone else.
THIS.

I have had to do the same with Straight Talk when their reps try to lie to me or refuse to help. I just give a slightly rude farewell, hang up, and call again.
BrettJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:51 PM   #11
noop
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to noop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post

but really there's no way as a caller I would go on and on and on back and forth with the CSR, I would've [s]either[/s] cussed him out or hung up way sooner and just called back hopefully getting someone else.
I agree with this!
noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 04:33 PM   #12
tecman
Lead Lap

Old 07-16-14, 06:01 PM   #13
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with either side in this idiotic phone call....IMO, they both acted like stubborn jack-a**es. The Comcast rep clearly exceeded his bounds, and was overly-aggressive in his efforts to prevent termination of service. He also kept insisting (perhaps falsely) that Comcast was "the best" without any real proof of it....just his own rambling. But the customer, IMO, only made things worse by repeatedly refusing to answer a very simple question....WHY he wanted the service terminated. When you have been a customer that long with a company, and you haven't had any major complaints before (which appears to the the case here)....then, IMO, you owe the company a little more than just a simple "drop my service" order without an decent explanation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-14 at 06:17 PM..
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:38 PM   #14
geko29
Oil Burner

Mike, I might agree with you, had we not joined this call at the 10-minute mark, when (according to Ryan) both he and his wife had already offered numerous explanations for wanting to cancel, none of which were deemed "good enough", and had therefore just given up.

Both Ryan Block (Former editor-in-chief of Engadget before he left to found Gdgt.com) and his wife, Veronica Belmont (CNET, Buzz Out Loud, Tekzilla) are longtime and well-respected tech journalists that I personally trust. Intelligent people may differ, but I don't get the impression that this was played up in any way.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:44 PM   #15
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Mike, I might agree with you, had we not joined this call at the 10-minute mark, when (according to Ryan) both he and his wife had already offered numerous explanations for wanting to cancel, none of which were deemed "good enough", and had therefore just given up.
OK....good point. I based my reaction to the call on the part that was actually posted....the part we could actually listen to. We don't necessarily know the details of what went on before that.
Old 07-16-14, 06:44 PM