Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

What's a movie that you can always watch and never get bored of?

Old 05-26-14, 10:00 PM   #46
yada
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecman View Post
28 Days
I am Legend

Come on, no love for zombies, end of the world and what if the technology we build takes over.
love those 2 but also dont forget zombieland
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-14, 10:13 PM   #47
SiCcNeSs
Rookie

The Man from Nowhere
Heat
Goodfellas
The Godfather
Office space
SiCcNeSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-14, 10:51 PM   #48
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Not all my favorites are blockbusters. Among my "hidden gems" are three movies produced on a low budget that didn't get a lot of promotion - for whatever reason. A talented cast, a good director, and above all, a great script, can produce a film you want to see over and over.

"The Dish"
"Bubba Ho-tep"
"Secondhand Lions (with the original ending seen only on the DVD "extras".)"

For more information, check this earlier post: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/7833556-post15.html
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 05:40 PM   #49
Emphasis
Driver School Candidate

- Men in Black
- Fast & Furious series
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
- Pulp Fiction
- The Island
- Scarface
- Pacific Rim
- Space Jam

Last edited by Emphasis; 05-27-14 at 06:15 PM..
Emphasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 06:13 PM   #50
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Dumb and Dumber
Terminator 2
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Back to the Future
Ace Ventura 1&2
True Lies

These are some of the movies that I've actually watched dozens of times each. There's others but I don't want the list too long.

Anyone agree that these movies that can be watched over and over are prominently from the '90's? Today's huge budget high special effect movies can be great to watch once or twice but most of them aren't viewable over and over. It takes a certain quality in a film to have this effect and seems hard to accomplish.
-J-P-L- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 02:48 AM   #51
eskaeone
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (15)

Citilyfe182 MONSTERISLANDCZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirra99 View Post
No way, each is excellent in it's own right, they are not even the same type of movie, each with its own different approach, so not really directly comparable.

Alien is filmed like a Sci-fi HORROR movie. Aliens on the other hand has a bigger budget and is an ACTION movie, with faster pace which many may find more appealing, but lost some of the creepiness/atmosphere of the original.
Again, a matter of opinion.
They are directly comparable because they originate from the same subject matter.
In my opinion Camron just told a better version of it.
Using your terms some of the "creepiness" definitely gives way to the action but only by a very small amount. And as far as "atmosphere" if anything Camron increases it by expanding on the Alien universe.

Last edited by eskaeone; 05-28-14 at 03:11 AM..
eskaeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 03:17 AM   #52
Aron9000
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirra99 View Post
Alien is filmed like a Sci-fi HORROR movie. Aliens on the other hand has a bigger budget and is an ACTION movie, with faster pace which many may find more appealing, but lost some of the creepiness/atmosphere of the original.
That's why I love the 1st movie, its just so eerie/creepy, it kind of gets under your skin as none of the characters have any idea of what is really happening.

Aliens, while its an awesome action movie, its always, man watch out and run from the big, bad monster.

First time watching both of them through, you really aren't sure if Ripley is going to make it in Alien. One reason is the brilliant choice of having an ensemble cast and making the Alien the main character. Until you are about 2/3rds into the movie, you aren't really sure if Ripley is going to make it, hell IMO she just got lucky that she wasn't killed by the alien.

In Aliens, she's out for vengeance, so you kind of know the outcome about 30 minutes in, everybody dies except Ripley and the little girl they find. That's what makes the second one kind of boring to me.
Aron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 06:58 AM   #53
nikko2jzge
Driver

• Coming to America
• Airplane
• Beetlejuice
• Robocop (1987)
• Black Dynomite
•*Naked Gun
• Next Friday
nikko2jzge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 01:49 PM   #54
ashtray
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (11)

Fargo
Shutter Island
30 Days of Night

Probably more out there but these have always been movies that I just never could get enough of.

120 Club Member - NA 1997 5spd. SC300
A few mods. Thanks to KingpiN.SC for sig. pic.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 10:53 PM   #55
eskaeone
Lexus Test Driver

Default ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
That's why I love the 1st movie, its just so eerie/creepy, it kind of gets under your skin as none of the characters have any idea of what is really happening.

Aliens, while its an awesome action movie, its always, man watch out and run from the big, bad monster.

First time watching both of them through, you really aren't sure if Ripley is going to make it in Alien. One reason is the brilliant choice of having an ensemble cast and making the Alien the main character. Until you are about 2/3rds into the movie, you aren't really sure if Ripley is going to make it, hell IMO she just got lucky that she wasn't killed by the alien.

In Aliens, she's out for vengeance, so you kind of know the outcome about 30 minutes in, everybody dies except Ripley and the little girl they find. That's what makes the second one kind of boring to me.
huh???...................
Old 05-29-14, 05:55 PM   #56
tecman
Lead Lap

Not much horror here,
The Ring.......I love that evil little dead girl and oh the creepy sounds, great to watch before bedtime
Old 05-30-14, 07:14 AM   #57
armanitran
Lead Lap

armanitranung armanitran

Tokyo Drift (or F&F Series)
Sandlot
Silver Lining Playbook (got me through my tough times :P )
Requiem for a Dream
1989 Ferrari 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet
1998 GS400
TLN #17
armanitran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 10:16 PM   #58
UDel
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post

She would not have made it if the director/writer went with their first idea of ending "Alien". They were originally going to have her not realize the Alien was on the escape shuttle and it kills her when she was speaking and recording the log message, then the Alien would speak in her voice. They decided on a happier ending later.

I have appreciated "Alien" much more as I got older, when I was younger I loved "Aliens" because of the action and queen and thought Alien was too slow, but when viewing Alien in the last 5 or so years I have changed and thought it was the better movie, better tone, more interesting especially the first 2/3rds of the movie, so many twists and turns and a unique perspective. You don't know exactly why the crashed ship is there or what the eggs were for or what that thing in the chair is or if it was even good/bad or that Ash was a robot. The Alien is totally different from its parasite and takes a similar profile/traits from its host. All this stuff was unheard of in sci-fi at that time. I also think the actors were better in "Alien" and there was better character development.

I also highly recommend watching the Directors cut of "Alien 3", it is much better then the original cut down rushed movie. The Directors cut of "Aliens" is also the best, it shows the Newts parents and the Space Jockey ship and other good parts.
Old 06-01-14, 09:30 PM   #59
eskaeone
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
She would not have made it if the director/writer went with their first idea of ending "Alien". They were originally going to have her not realize the Alien was on the escape shuttle and it kills her when she was speaking and recording the log message, then the Alien would speak in her voice. They decided on a happier ending later.

I have appreciated "Alien" much more as I got older, when I was younger I loved "Aliens" because of the action and queen and thought Alien was too slow, but when viewing Alien in the last 5 or so years I have changed and thought it was the better movie, better tone, more interesting especially the first 2/3rds of the movie, so many twists and turns and a unique perspective. You don't know exactly why the crashed ship is there or what the eggs were for or what that thing in the chair is or if it was even good/bad or that Ash was a robot. The Alien is totally different from its parasite and takes a similar profile/traits from its host. All this stuff was unheard of in sci-fi at that time. I also think the actors were better in "Alien" and there was better character development.

I also highly recommend watching the Directors cut of "Alien 3", it is much better then the original cut down rushed movie. The Directors cut of "Aliens" is also the best, it shows the Newts parents and the Space Jockey ship and other good parts.
Excellent description. your opinion is something that I can agree with, ALIEN is a different movie than ALIENS and your description of it is the most agreeable. But ALIEN 3, that was a disaster. However, I didn't know that there was a director's cut to ALIEN 3. I will check it out thanks for the heads up. Also, In case you didn't know there is a director's cut for ALIENS as well. a little back story info and some extras.
Old 06-02-14, 07:38 PM   #60
UDel
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskaeone View Post
Excellent description. your opinion is something that I can agree with, ALIEN is a different movie than ALIENS and your description of it is the most agreeable. But ALIEN 3, that was a disaster. However, I didn't know that there was a director's cut to ALIEN 3. I will check it out thanks for the heads up. Also, In case you didn't know there is a director's cut for ALIENS as well. a little back story info and some extras.
I saw Alien 3 in the theater and did not care for it much, liked it even less when I caught it on cable. There was a ton of issues with Alien 3, where they were going to go with the characters, what kind of movie they were going to make, time and budget problems, numerous directors considered, change in setting/sets/story right before shooting, unfinished script, and a studio butchering the directors final cut. The director hated the final cut so much he disowned himself from the movie. I got the Alien Quadrilogy a few years ago which had the directors cut of Alien 3, I thought the DC was much better then the original, the added scenes definitely made it feel like a complete movie and a pretty fitting ending for the series though I wish they would have gone with some of the other ideas and scripts I read about, I recommend you check it out if you can. The 4th Alien was the one that no directors cut could improve, totally pointless. I saw the "Aliens" director cut and talked about it a little, it is definitely the cut James Cameron wanted and is not just filler stuff, he had to heavily cut "Aliens" because the studio demanded a shorter movie which he was not happy with.
Old 06-02-14, 07:38 PM