Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RIP Paul Walker Dead at 40: Fast and the Furious Actor Dies In Car Accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-13, 01:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no way anyone was surviving this
yep, looks like it hit on the passenger side too
Old 12-01-13, 01:37 PM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Paul Walker, you will be dearly miss by all those in the car community!

RIP Roger Rodas as well, driver and owner of the Carrera GT. He was race car driver, business partner, and friend of Walker.

Both did a lot for the car community and numerous charity work as well. Although tragic but both died what they both loved, behind a wheel.

Last edited by SurfsUP; 12-01-13 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-01-13, 02:06 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez,

The saddest part to me is that it just doesn't make sense how such a small tree caused THAT. You can't even tell that's a car in the after pics. Idk if anyone read also but it was saying how Paul's friends were trying to get him out of the car but they couldn't get his seatbelt undone because of the flames. They even had fire extinguishers and that didn't really help either. :\

Imagine how bad his friends must feel because they weren't able to get Paul or Roger out in time. It's been just a day since Paul's death and I still can't believe it.

There is a Paul Walker Memorial car meet also in Hollywood, FL at the parking garage where FnF (one of them) was filmed. I won't be able to make it though..
Old 12-01-13, 02:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"Always Evolving's Porsche Carerra GT -- recognizable for its unusual red color and black wheels -- is a difficult car to drive for even professionals, with one top driver calling its handling “scary." Those of us at Autoweek who have driven the car will likely concur."

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...#ixzz2mGTIZDjV
Old 12-01-13, 02:31 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the record, they weren't driving to the function, rather they were taking the car out for a spin as the event was coming to a close.

Honestly, I would say I'm fairly upset about this too. I'm sure I speak for most of us younger enthusiasts when I say that the Fast and Furious franchise played more or less of a crucial role in our becoming car enthusiasts. Heck, most of us probably wouldn't even know what a Nissan Skyline (top favorite car) even was if it weren't for him driving one in the franchise.
Old 12-01-13, 03:00 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

this vid is for those who don't understand how the car could blow up... doesn't take much

Lambo Crash
Old 12-01-13, 03:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SprtDesign
I mean it hit a tree that size and ended like that? It must have ruptured a fuel line or something to cause it to explode. It they were going at a extreme high rate of speed they would have severed the tree and the wreck would have been spread over a larger area.
Originally Posted by SPLiFFY
The saddest part to me is that it just doesn't make sense how such a small tree caused THAT. You can't even tell that's a car in the after pics.
ever tried pushing over a small tree? with a huge truck you might 'tow' it out of the ground, but pushing it, not likely. the carrera gt is light, and very fast. i'm not surprised at all at the outcome.
Old 12-01-13, 04:16 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

They hit a curb. The impact probably blew the gas tank and sparks did the rest... I doubt that small tree did any significant damage.
Old 12-01-13, 05:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the guy driving was a racing pro himself. Just goes to show anything can happen on the street to anyone
Old 12-01-13, 05:22 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
They hit a curb. The impact probably blew the gas tank and sparks did the rest... I doubt that small tree did any significant damage.
Reports say they actually hit 2 tree and that last tree was the resting spot. Porsches are known to catch on fire easy. People that were at the charity were there within seconds but couldn't get to them because of the intense fire. Sad to see your friends die right in front of you with no way to help.
Old 12-01-13, 05:36 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

RIP to both of them, and to the man who brought me into the car culture. Stay forever young now.
Old 12-01-13, 06:02 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

RIP Paul Walker and the driver Roger Rodas, both leave children behind. Just very sad and they were participating in a charity event, for worldwide outreach, helping others recovering form natural disasters.. Truly good guys..
Old 12-01-13, 07:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

'Fast and Furious 7' shooting canceled, production delayed

By Lucas Shaw and Sharon Waxman
TheWrap

The scheduled shoot of "Fast and Furious 7" has been cancelled for Monday in Atlanta as the movie's producers and studio executives struggle with the sudden death of Paul Walker.

An individual with knowledge of the production schedule told TheWrap that shooting was scheduled for Monday in Atlanta, but had been cancelled. Director James Wan, producer Neal Moritz and Universal Pictures executives had been on the phone continually since the tragic news of the actors' fatal car accident hit on Saturday evening.

The full implications of Paul Walker's death for "Fast & Furious 7" won't be determined until its cast and crew has had a chance to grieve, insiders close to the production told TheWrap.

Production was more than halfway done when Walker and business partner Roger Rodas were killed in a fiery car wreck Saturday, according to two individuals close to the project. Walker and the "Furious" crew were on holiday break from production when Rodas' exotic Porsche slammed into a tree and burst into flames during a charity event in Santa Clarita.

Shooting was scheduled for this week in Atlanta, including scenes with Walker, who as Brian O'Conner is one of the lead characters of the story. The production was also slated to move to Abu Dhabi later this month, but it now seems extremely unlikely that the cameras will roll as planned.

Though Wan spoke with Universal, they did not make any concrete determinations as to how the story or production would be altered -- it's too soon for that, sources told TheWrap. They also have not determined if the scheduled release date will need to change.

Walker had recently shot another film, Relativity Media's action film "Brick Mansions." An individual with knowledge of the production said that his work was done and the film is in post-production.

"Fast and Furious" is one of the studio's most successful and important franchises, and turned both Walker and Vin Diesel into international movie stars. The seventh was due to come out July 11 of next year, a little more than a year after "Fast & Furious 6."

Walker played Brian O'Conner, an undercover cop turned car thief and international criminal. He and Diesel starred in the first movie more than a decade ago, and have since appeared in all but one film - "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift."

Anyone who thinks F&F is done is mistaken. The franchise is bigger than any one person. It's even bigger than any group of people. The 2nd and 3rd films prove that as they featured largely different casts. 7,8,& 9 will be made as planned.

It's all a question of how they go about changing 7. Half of it has been filmed. It will be very tricky for production. Surely, many of it will need to be re-shot. The story will need a re-write. And they need to decide whether to kill O'Conner's character (likely) or replace him (I believe unlikely). I don't think it will be in good taste to keep the character alive and simply replace Walker.

Sad how he, as well as the rest of the film's cast and crew, are enjoying they're holiday break from production and this happens.
Old 12-01-13, 07:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I think they should give him an honorable death in the film.
Old 12-01-13, 07:45 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think they should give him an honorable death in the film.
Yup, my thoughts as well.

The challenge is using whatever footage they have and then proceeding with a heroic death in which such scenes occur without O'Conner's actual presence. Some film trickery will be needed.

Quick Reply: RIP Paul Walker Dead at 40: Fast and the Furious Actor Dies In Car Accident