Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Do you guys think car salesman think people are dumb?

Old 04-12-11, 05:44 PM   #1
Fjaw
Pole Position
Trader Score: (5)

Default Do you guys think car salesman think people are dumb?

So the guy at crown lexus says he'll go $750 under the invoice (pretty good until he tried to play games) and says he'll email the pricing to me and then he emails me the mspr price... Please keep in mind I got my 2010 IS last Sept 2K under invoice so I know it's possible.

I replied back saying that's not the right price and pasted the invoice price vs the mspr price (what he gave me) to him. Then he replied back deleting all the previous emails giving me some BS about production is low due to tsunami (which I agree) and the price will go up for sure at the end of the year. What is the point of bringing that up? I was going to reply back that I was a little skeptical about a toyota/lexus with the brake failure (i actually know someone who got in an accident bc the brake failed) but there was no need to insult someone like that.

Now we all know prices drop like crazy when they're trying to get rid of the previous year model so I don't understand if he thinks I'm retarded or something.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
2011 18" inch rims
Fjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 06:17 PM   #2
IS144
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Knowing how Toyota Motor Company works, there's a good chance Toyota does raise the price incrementally to compensate for the Tsunami. I worked for Toyota/Lexus for a while and it wouldn't surprise me.

Crown Lexus is a joke. That place has a pretty bad reputation. Try South County Lexus (formerly Park Place) in Mission Viejo. They are pretty straight shooters.
IS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 06:42 PM   #3
Fjaw
Pole Position
Trader Score: (5)

yea I can see how the price will go up due to tsunami but i'm pissed about was telling me it's 750 under invoice then shows me the price 750 under mspr
2011 18" inch rims
Fjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:02 PM   #4
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (54)

a few assumptions being made in the first post, but that's besides the point.

whether a salesperson that are representing the dealership thinks people are dumb, retarded, or what not is a personal matter. what does matter is that, as an employee of the dealership and collecting his pay from said dealership (as a percentage of sales, typically), said salesperson is obligated to maximize the sales for the dealership as his/her employer and for him-/herself.

are some of the tactics borderline unethical/insulting? sure. but does it matter to the salesperson? probably not. there are enough people buying cars out there that the salesperson can stand to offend a person, lose a buyer, and make it up with another person. that, and it's not like individual consumers are purchasing cars on a daily basis. most consumers go several years between each car purchase, and rarely do consumers repeat purchase with the same salesperson.

if you feel you got the short end of the stick because he's trying to make more money off of you with "questionable sales tactics", move on. no point in getting your undies all in a bunch by the salesperson's tactics or what not. it's just "business".

your interpretation is not my problem / illegitimus non carborundum.
projectdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:02 PM   #5
UrHookUp
Driver

Go to Lexus of Tampa Bay & talk with Manny. They went above & beyond to make my deal. I got approx 3500.00 off the price of my 2011 IS350.
Tell him Drew from Goodyear sent you.
UrHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:13 PM   #6
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

They don't believe people are 'dumb' as much as they think they are great salesmen. Most people are clueless when it comes to buying a car, it's mostly based on emotion which is why cars aren't sold off the internet when you could think about it in the comfort of your home without being bombarded on enemy territory (dealer showroom). It's all a crafty marketing exercise fine tuned over the years. In the 60's it was sufficient to throw up a searchlight, give out hot dogs, and sell Chevy's to mom and dad. People are more sophisticated now so the tactics have been greatly refined with fancy showrooms and low(er) sales pressure. But the outcome is the same.

---------------------------
Evitzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:34 PM   #7
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

agree what projectdna said. its respectable for toyota to do that.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/03/t...cion-and-lexu/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...es-by-1-7.html
Cartune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:36 PM   #8
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to llamaboiz

under invoice??? just be lucky you don't pay MSRP like us in Hawaii~ as if things here aren't already more xpensive than the mainland~ your cries fall on deaf ears...
*RA CruisePICS*
*HellaFlush AlohaKings 2, PICS*

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them - Ronald Reagan
llamaboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:40 PM   #9
meangene
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrHookUp View Post
Go to Lexus of Tampa Bay & talk with Manny. They went above & beyond to make my deal. I got approx 3500.00 off the price of my 2011 IS350.
He's in CA....
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 08:05 PM   #10
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)

Individuals are cool, but people and the masses are sheep so yes they are dumb and easily manipulated.
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 08:52 PM   #11
IS144
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrHookUp View Post
Tampa's a bit of a drive from Callie. $3,500 off's about average. Sometimes when the customer service is super good though it's worth paying for. That's what I think anyways.
Old 04-12-11, 08:56 PM   #12
IS144
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaboiz View Post
under invoice??? just be lucky you don't pay MSRP like us in Hawaii~ as if things here aren't already more xpensive than the mainland~ your cries fall on deaf ears...
Oh so true. I used to sell to people who lived in HI and would buy here then ship back. You do have the Island Breeze though bra....that's almost priceless.
Old 04-12-11, 08:56 PM   #13
Jeff Lange
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaboiz View Post
Agreed, even in some areas of Canada, you don't have much room to bargain at all, especially when there's only 1 dealer in town.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS250 Obsidian "F-Sport 6MT" with LSD
1986 AE86 Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
1993 TCR10 Previa 5MT Race Van
1991 FJ80 Land Cruiser Station Wagon
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 09:03 PM   #14
embolism
Lead Lap

I was at Acura before I got my 350 and the guy told me that I could buy down the lease rate if I put $5k down. Then he proceeds to show me how I'd be paying $5K off msrp blah blah blah...

Bottom line, when they drew up the paperwork, I added the total payments plus buy back, and I came back to the msrp. When I pointed this out, the guy starts telling me the buyback is $5K less than it says there b/c you can just use the $5K they are "holding" for me to buy down the rate. I shook my head and said are you kidding me? That's my money. It's not like you are giving it to me to buy down the rate. It's even worse b/c I'm giving it to you now as opposed to the end of the lease! He looked at me like I wasn't speaking English. I ripped up the paperwork and walked out of there. Went to Lexus the next day and the rest is history...
embolism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 12:01 AM   #15
Fizzboy7
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Fizzboy7

I got $750 under invoice back in 2008 at Westminster. I would think with today's aging IS line, you can at least do that or better. Should also be some factory to dealer incentives hidden somewhere too. Check Edmunds.com for that end of it. Living in SoCal with numerous dealerships, you are in the driver's seat. Make them bid against each other and the price will drop.
Old 04-13-11, 12:01 AM