Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Do you guys think car salesman think people are dumb?

Old 04-13-11, 12:10 AM   #16
Fjaw
Pole Position
Trader Score: (5)

ya that's what i did when i got mine and i'm doing it all over again for my roommate. Just didn't like how he thought i wouldn't know the difference between invoice and mspr price.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
2011 18" inch rims
Fjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 02:58 AM   #17
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

that's the only thing CA is good for- getting the lowest bidder.

then you pay it all back in taxes.
dunnojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 06:54 AM   #18
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

most people are dumb
Old 04-13-11, 06:32 PM   #19
MashinA
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (17)

PetarDimitrov
Send a message via Skype™ to MashinA

i usually never have this problem...oh wait nm, i always buy my cars from private owners.
MashinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 07:57 PM   #20
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Its very likely he deals with a lot of consumers that are not up to speed with how buying a vehicle works so when they have a customer that is on point it could appear they think you are "dumb".

Don't take it personal and try to get the best deal for you even if it means walking to another dealer.
Old 04-13-11, 08:46 PM   #21
Big Mack
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceey View Post
Just didn't like how he thought i wouldn't know the
difference between invoice and mspr price.
You do know it's MSRP not MSPR, right? I know that it may seem trivial, but there are a lot of people who do a very basic (and by basic I mean they type it into the box in the room with the television looking thing hooked up to it) and try to come and talk to salespeople like they know exactly what is going on. Having heard this type of gibberish firsthand numerous times in various fields, it was a telltale indicator that you were dealing with someone who read the Cliff's notes on pricing. I'm not saying you don't know the difference or that you only read the Cliff's notes, but small things like saying "MSPR" instead of the correct MSRP were sometimes clues I picked up and used to keep in mind while dealing with some. I never treated them dumb, however, or tried to pull one over. I would simply correct whatever misinformation they had and show them the right things. Some learned, some didn't, but I was confident that they knew more walking away than they did walking in for just about every case.

Big Mack

To my fallen brethren, you are not forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are not forgiven.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 10:46 PM   #22
Fjaw
Pole Position

lol it was a typo. The point was we agreed on a price under invoice and the price he showed me was "msrp."

and from my experience most car salesman i've talked to don't know anything about the product they're selling. A little off topic but when my parents bought a FJ cruiser, the salesperson told them the subwoofer was to make the engine louder...
2011 18" inch rims
Old 04-13-11, 10:48 PM   #23
Fjaw
Pole Position

^^ but i just realized i typed it wrong in twice in both posts so i can see why you might think i don't know what i'm talking about.
2011 18" inch rims
Old 04-14-11, 07:00 AM   #24
KayGee
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
So the guy at crown lexus says he'll go $750 under the invoice (pretty good until he tried to play games) and says he'll email the pricing to me and then he emails me the mspr price... Please keep in mind I got my 2010 IS last Sept 2K under invoice so I know it's possible.

I replied back saying that's not the right price and pasted the invoice price vs the mspr price (what he gave me) to him. Then he replied back deleting all the previous emails giving me some BS about production is low due to tsunami (which I agree) and the price will go up for sure at the end of the year. What is the point of bringing that up? I was going to reply back that I was a little skeptical about a toyota/lexus with the brake failure (i actually know someone who got in an accident bc the brake failed) but there was no need to insult someone like that.

Now we all know prices drop like crazy when they're trying to get rid of the previous year model so I don't understand if he thinks I'm retarded or something.
I don't think that they are going to email you their best price so that you can go use it to price shop with another dealer. I may be wrong but I think that the only way to get the best price is to go to the dealership and sit down with them. You must be prepared with your data and be prepared to walk away.
KayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 07:24 AM   #25
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

best thing to do is talk to the internet flee sales manager before stepping foot in the dealer. They get a fixed commission per car so they have an incentive to sell on volume rather than price. When I got my IS, couple weeks before the end of the month I inquired a price. The internet sales manager gave me $3500 straight off just for asking (since its close to the end of the month). Was easy and painless and I didnt have to wait for a special order to get ML and Sport packages.
Old 04-14-11, 08:01 AM   #26
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (28)

I work at a dealership and whats said above is 99.99% accurate, doesnt mean youll ALWAYS get the best deal, (even though they get payed fixed) some internet fleet managers will try to get some money out of you, but thats normal. Usually theyll be your best bet, also they are most likely the dealers #1 salesperson (understandibly) and therefor have a little more lee-way with what they can get away with.

rule of thumb.. Almost always ask for the internet fleet manager and never go with their first price. Ofcourse if you have a salesperson you always deal with and bought several cars most likely your already getting the best price.
Vroomin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 04:30 PM   #27
Fjaw
Pole Position

on a side note. it really surprises me how a same model CPO car with the same package can cost more, 4k more, than what I paid new.
2011 18" inch rims
Old 04-14-11, 05:30 PM   #28
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Quote:
on a side note. it really surprises me how a same model CPO car with the same package can cost more, 4k more, than what I paid new.
Where is that?
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 05:44 PM   #29
Fjaw
Pole Position

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
2011 18" inch rims
Old 04-14-11, 08:18 PM   #30
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict