Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Computer Gurus your help is needed.

Old 04-12-11, 08:25 AM   #1
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

Default Computer Gurus your help is needed.

I have a old model optiplex 745 mini tower which still uses an ancient Pentium D processor. i currently have windows vista loaded on my HD

My friend recently gave me his optiplex 755 mini tower which is an identical system but uses a intel duo core 2 chip. i tried to basically just swap out my HD and rams and move the items over since i thought it would be a direct swap but i was wrong. the old system and HD was using XP.

when i installed my HD i get a continuous reboot once the windows green scroll bar part comes up and it prompts me that it was unsuccessfully started windows.tried using safe mode, prompt mode etc etc and no go. I updated/flashed the bios and updated the chipset driver to the newest and still receiving the same error message. i then swapped my old HD back to my previous 745 and it started up like nothing was wrong.

any idea of how i can get this thing started? i have alot of work information on my old HD that i cannot afford to erase, do i need to reinstall windows vista on the HD for it to work?

Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

"My wife wanted something that would go from zero to two hundred in less than two seconds. Got her a bathroom scale"
Mike813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 09:00 AM   #2
longroute
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

HD's are not inter-changeable unless the chipset and version of windows on the pc are identical. You'll have to reimage the 755 to vista then use an external hdd to move tghe files over to the new system.
longroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 09:03 AM   #3
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by longroute View Post
HD's are not inter-changeable unless the chipset and version of windows on the pc are identical. You'll have to reimage the 755 to vista then use an external hdd to move tghe files over to the new system.
Thats what i was afraid of. Thanks for the info

"My wife wanted something that would go from zero to two hundred in less than two seconds. Got her a bathroom scale"
Old 04-12-11, 09:23 AM   #4
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
Trader Score: (4)

Send a message via ICQ to Jewcano Send a message via AIM to Jewcano Send a message via MSN to Jewcano Send a message via Yahoo to Jewcano Send a message via Skype™ to Jewcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by longroute View Post
That's not true at all. It's dependent on the operating system. Windows 7 is capable of going from system to system and it automatically updates itself to be compliant with that system. How would I know? I somewhat recently sold my mammoth PC to a member on here. Instead of buying new HDD's I took the ones I had already with Windows 7 on them and swapped them over to my new build. Booted up without a hitch, 7 noticed it needed some new drivers, downloaded them, and all was well.

I know XP has the issue of being hardware compliant and that even changing out a bunch of parts in a PC will make it throw a fit. I'm not as sure about Vista however, figured they would've done the migration thing a bit better.

01 GS430 -Yeahhhh awesome ride!
Friendster!!!
Jewcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 09:54 AM   #5
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

I agree that Windows 7 is interchangeable, but not always. I had a perfectly good laptop HD that had Win 7 Home Premium on it and swapped it into my brothers laptop to try and get it running, but no dice. I had to move the data off the HD, and do a fresh install on his laptop. I've done the same with a Win 7 Pro HD twice before though with success, but i doubt it has anything to do with Home Premium vs Pro.

Anyways with a new PC i always like to start with a fresh install Back the data off, format it clean and reinstall Windows on it. Then only put the data you actually need back onto the PC. lol

07 IS250 - SOLD
08 Altima Hybrid
98 Prelude - SOLD
KillaIS250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 10:07 AM   #6
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
Trader Score: (4)

Send a message via ICQ to Jewcano Send a message via AIM to Jewcano Send a message via MSN to Jewcano Send a message via Yahoo to Jewcano Send a message via Skype™ to Jewcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaIS250 View Post
Anyways with a new PC i always like to start with a fresh install Back the data off, format it clean and reinstall Windows on it. Then only put the data you actually need back onto the PC. lol
I'll attest to this 100%. Mine boots up slower now than it did on the OLD tower. Need a fresh install ASAP. And if you do a clean install it'll run better as you won't have the PC filled up with temp files and other junk clogging up your folders.

01 GS430 -Yeahhhh awesome ride!
Friendster!!!
Jewcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 10:08 AM   #7
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldnt mind installing windows 7 but everyone i know around the way here is either stuck on xp or vista.

MODERATR EDITED - we do not condone piracy on clublexus. please do not ask again.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-12-11 at 06:53 PM..
Old 04-12-11, 01:36 PM   #8
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Just make the other HDD as a secondary/slave. Access and copy the data onto the existing drive and you are ok.

2008 IS250 - Obsidian Black with Black leather.
Premium Pkg, Nav system, P225/40YR18 front & P255/40YR18 rear tires, Rear Lip Spoiler, F-sport Shocks.
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 03:18 PM   #9
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (54)

optiplex 745 uses the intel 965 chipset. optiplex 755 uses the intel Q35 chipset.

different chipsets, different drivers.

another "trick" might be to swap processors if you're technically-capable. assuming that both motherboards can handle different FSB speeds (1066 mHz for some C2D chips vs. 800 mHz Pentium D chips), the both processsors are of the same socket size.

your interpretation is not my problem / illegitimus non carborundum.
projectdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 09:30 PM   #10
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectdna View Post
optiplex 745 uses the intel 965 chipset. optiplex 755 uses the intel Q35 chipset.

different chipsets, different drivers.

another "trick" might be to swap processors if you're technically-capable. assuming that both motherboards can handle different FSB speeds (1066 mHz for some C2D chips vs. 800 mHz Pentium D chips), the both processsors are of the same socket size.
gave that a try today and got error beeps.

i went and bought a new HD from newegg and will do a fresh install w transferring my info. prob give the old pen-d to my little nephew since he's just started learning how to play with pc's.

Old 04-13-11, 11:08 AM   #11
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike813 View Post
I have a old model optiplex 745 mini tower which still uses an ancient Pentium D processor. i currently have windows vista loaded on my HD

My friend recently gave me his optiplex 755 mini tower which is an identical system but uses a intel duo core 2 chip. i tried to basically just swap out my HD and rams and move the items over since i thought it would be a direct swap but i was wrong. the old system and HD was using XP.

when i installed my HD i get a continuous reboot once the windows green scroll bar part comes up and it prompts me that it was unsuccessfully started windows.tried using safe mode, prompt mode etc etc and no go. I updated/flashed the bios and updated the chipset driver to the newest and still receiving the same error message. i then swapped my old HD back to my previous 745 and it started up like nothing was wrong.

any idea of how i can get this thing started? i have alot of work information on my old HD that i cannot afford to erase, do i need to reinstall windows vista on the HD for it to work?

Thanks.
Old system: optiplex 745, pentium D, single core processor, vista (or xp)..ambiguous
New system: optiplex 755, dual core processor, vista

It appears the goal is to upgrade to the dual core processor machine while retaining your old data from your old machine. Is it only data or are applications also involved?

If it is data only, plug the HD from the 745 into the 755 and make it a slave HD. You will have all your data with you, but not the applications.

2008 IS250 - Obsidian Black with Black leather.
Premium Pkg, Nav system, P225/40YR18 front & P255/40YR18 rear tires, Rear Lip Spoiler, F-sport Shocks.
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 11:08 AM

Tags
745, 755, continuous, interchangable, optiplex, reboot