Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

It Has Begun... AT&T Bumps Early-Upgrade Prices For ALL Smartphones!

Old 04-05-11, 02:36 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Thumbs down It Has Begun... AT&T Bumps Early-Upgrade Prices For ALL Smartphones!

Gotta pay for that TMOBILE purchase somehow...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/05/a...s-reminds-tha/

Quote:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....2011-04-04.jpg
The two year contract is a blessing and a curse, but looking at these updated prices from AT&T we're thinking those upgrading early and doing so to a one year contract are quite simply doomed. AT&T has upped the price on all early-upgrade one year commitment smartphones by a whopping $150! That's painful, but the early-upgrades are at least a little less painful. Smartphones like the iPhone are jumping by a relatively meager $50, meaning a new 32GB iPhone 4 will cost you $549 vs the previous $449. Or you could, you know, just suck it up for another 12 months.

Update: As it turns out the $150 premium is unrelated to upgrading -- if you want a one year contract you're stuck with the $150 premium, regardless.
If and when this purchase of TMO goes though and they indeed become the Nations largest wireless provider, it will be interesting to see just how many customers bail to Verizon or SPRINT just to escape their horrid customer service and now "Data Overage Charges"...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
TXSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 02:58 PM   #2
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

smartphones are getting more and more expensive so I can see this happening. I doubt this is due to the tmobile thing. Govt still has to approve the merge before the deal can be sealed.

Wireless providers lose a ton of money if people upgrade their smartphone early due to the several hundred dollar prices of these smartphones.
Old 04-05-11, 04:28 PM   #3
MrMut
Lexus Test Driver

Just another reason for me to jump ship soon to a no-contract provider like boost or virgin mobile (both run on sprint).
MrMut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 09:52 PM   #4
lamar411
Lexus Champion

Virgin mobile is really making a case for me right now. t-mo and at&t are going to screw me over so its time to jump ship.
Old 04-05-11, 10:52 PM   #5
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Just as I called it a long time ago smokesignal T-mobile would be bought . While AT&T is not perfect nor is any carrier.

AT&T had the iPhone first. They do have great plans. For example they do have rollover, they also have ten numbers you can program where you don't use minutes for. Personally I get a sizable discount every month. They have been very good with discounting the bill when I have called to complain about dropped calls or issues.

If T-mobile was that good, they would have bought AT&T
Old 04-05-11, 11:01 PM   #6
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
Just as I called it a long time ago smokesignal T-mobile would be bought . While AT&T is not perfect nor is any carrier.

AT&T had the iPhone first. They do have great plans. For example they do have rollover, they also have ten numbers you can program where you don't use minutes for. Personally I get a sizable discount every month. They have been very good with discounting the bill when I have called to complain about dropped calls or issues.

If T-mobile was that good, they would have bought AT&T
Oh lord where to begin...

AT&T is about to seriously overpay for Tmobile because they recognize the superior network and infrastructure already in place. Without this acquisition they would most likely anger investors as they are losing their **** in the landline arena. Their customer service and wireless service is currently ranked lowest by most reputable watchdogs and of course customers.
The only winner here is Deutche Telecom who is happy to unload for who knows how many Billions more than what any other carrier would consider offering. And now will shall see the proverbial 'insertion' to it's current customers and future TMO customers as they try to fund this purchase.

Oh and this....

Last edited by LexFather; 04-05-11 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Stupid giant rolleye image
Old 04-05-11, 11:29 PM   #7
LexFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Oh lord where to begin...

AT&T is about to seriously overpay for Tmobile because they recognize the superior network and infrastructure already in place. Without this acquisition they would most likely anger investors as they are losing their **** in the landline arena. Their customer service and wireless service is currently ranked lowest by most reputable watchdogs and of course customers.
The only winner here is Deutche Telecom who is happy to unload for who knows how many Billions more than what any other carrier would consider offering. And now will shall see the proverbial 'insertion' to it's current customers and future TMO customers as they try to fund this purchase.

Oh and this....

EVERY company is bleeding in the landline area. Looking at your pro T-mobile threads, anti AT&T threads, anti iPhone threads, well you are mad.

For all their areas of opportunity they must be doing something right. They did just buy T-mobile (once it gets approval).

Don't be so mad you were told in the past this would happen.
Old 04-05-11, 11:47 PM   #8
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Maf? Lol. Dont flatter yaself nephew. You the only one in denial. ATT sux. If it were not for the iPhone they were doomed.
I can care less.... Tmo wad superb no love loss. Like I said.... Att wont get my cake no way no how. Man of my word basically.
Plus Im getting the deal of a lifetime with Sprint which after 2 weeks... Its all good baby.
Old 04-05-11, 11:56 PM   #9
LexFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Maf? Lol. Dont flatter yaself nephew. You the only one in denial. ATT sux. If it were not for the iPhone they were doomed.
I can care less.... Tmo wad superb no love loss. Like I said.... Att wont get my cake no way no how. Man of my word basically.
Plus Im getting the deal of a lifetime with Sprint which after 2 weeks... Its all good baby.
This entire forum is quite clear that you think AT&T "sux" with your multiple threads about it. What must truly suck is fapping over something that was bought by the brand you hate.

A lot of people from T-mobile won't stay with AT&T. You don't think they already know this? They know it and still made the offer to buy it.

Sprint? No comment.
Old 04-06-11, 05:09 AM   #10
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000548829927 AWD GS

lol not to mention several months ago where Tmobile was the best and he'd never leave.

frankly im happy with att and have no plans to leave. all my free minutes, my grandfathered in data plan and everyone i know has att so all my stuff is free.

2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD Glacier Frost Mica - Black - ML Package
20" x 8.5" Status Knight Wheels Black with Machine Face | Bridgestone G-Force Tires 245/30/20 | BC Racing Coilovers | Carson Tuned Lip Kit | 3000k HID Fogs | Prestigious Society Navi/DVD Override Kit | 15% Tint | Black Roof and Window Trim
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 07:53 AM   #11
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

ATT is the worse, anything they do now is only an improvement
<VENOM> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 06:07 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
ATT has limited their voicemail storage to 30 days as of today.
Before you know it... they will be limiting your texts to short-hand. Nights will start at 5pm and mornings will start at 5am
Old 04-08-11, 04:09 AM   #13
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to llamaboiz

I'm a happy TMO customer and on Oahu? we have great coverage, only dead zones are the same for every carrier here. On the night of the Japan earthquake/tsunami AT&T crashed but TMO still worked for me... sorry but it seems in an emergency situation AT&T fails, this was also not the first time AT&T failed in a crisis situation here on this island~ I will be jumping ship to someone else should this deal go thru...
*RA CruisePICS*
*HellaFlush AlohaKings 2, PICS*

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them - Ronald Reagan
llamaboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 03:46 PM   #14
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaboiz View Post
I'm a happy TMO customer and on Oahu? we have great coverage, only dead zones are the same for every carrier here. On the night of the Japan earthquake/tsunami AT&T crashed but TMO still worked for me... sorry but it seems in an emergency situation AT&T fails, this was also not the first time AT&T failed in a crisis situation here on this island~ I will be jumping ship to someone else should this deal go thru...
TMO is still the best in my area IMO. The ONLY reason I bailed early was the crazy ridiculous offer I received that couldn't be guaranteed to be around had I waited.
Old 04-08-11, 03:46 PM

Tags
30, att, days, early, lexus, smartphones, upgrade, week