There are kittens in my back yard! (updated w crazy #### page 6) - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

There are kittens in my back yard! (updated w crazy #### page 6)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-11, 11:01 AM   #1
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Och's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 10,858
Default There are kittens in my back yard! (updated w crazy #### page 6)

So this cat has been coming over to our backyard for the past couple of months and we've been feeding her, and made her a place under the porch stair. She looked kind of fat, and I wondered if she was pregnant, but then I just though that she must be fat because we were overfeeding her.

Then about a week ago she disappeared for a whole day. She used to come by twice a day, around 10am and 6pm to eat, but that day she didn't show up at all, and I was wondering if anything has happened to her.

Then she shows up the next day, and she looks half the size and kind of unrested. So I figured right away that she must've given birth. She was hungrier than a tiger that day. I go to check under the porch if there are any kittens there, but theres nothing there.

So just my wife and I were in the backyard and I hear a faint meow. I couldn't figure out where its coming from, but then I see the cat coming out from behind the couch that we have on the porch. I took a quick peek in there, and sure enough, there are kittens there. I didn't get a good look to see how many, because I don't want to scare her away.

This is kind of cool and annoying at the same time. There are a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood and most people do not mind them, and a lot of people actually feed them. I don't mind one cat living in my backyard, but I don't really want hordes of cats occupying and multiplying there. I wonder if I should bring them to a shelter when they grow a little bigger for adoption, or what should I do? If anybody in Brooklyn wants a kitten, let me know

Last edited by Och; 05-02-11 at 08:54 PM.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:16 AM   #2
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
IXI187IXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 8,387
Default

does the mother cat have a tag or collar on it? it could be someones cat that they let out. i know my gf lets her cat out but she usually just stays in the yard for a few hours then comes back in. if theres a tag or anything id just drop the kittens off to them, problem solved
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:19 AM   #3
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Och's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 10,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXI187IXI View Post
does the mother cat have a tag or collar on it? it could be someones cat that they let out. i know my gf lets her cat out but she usually just stays in the yard for a few hours then comes back in. if theres a tag or anything id just drop the kittens off to them, problem solved
Nah, shes a stray cat.

However I'm pretty sure whom the father is, because he sometimes comes by, and they hang out together on the couch and he eats leftover food that she doesn't finish. They are both black with white spots and from what I could see the kittens are the same color. The "father" lives in the house directly across the street, and I wonder if I should knock on their door looking for child support
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:52 AM   #4
Micaiah
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,585
Default

Awwwww kitties!!

If you can, I would suggest gathering mom and babies and bringing them to the local rescue (not animal shelter). When the kitties are able, they would spay/neuter them and the mom and find loving homes for them.



Then I would go to the father's house and suggest that maybe they have him fixed so as to not have any more issues like this one again.
Micaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:02 PM   #5
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
oohpapi44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SouthSide Qns
Posts: 5,921
Default

Get rid of them as soon as you can. Unless the mother abandons them they will become feral before you know it. They also are dinner invitations to larger animals. We used to have a bunch of cats around and they kept breeding and were a dinner bell to racoons in the area.
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:20 PM   #6
rominl
exclusive matchup
iTrader: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 80,702
Default

our two cats are from similar story you had. it started out just didn't want them to be around and nowhere to stay, but now they are sooo part of our family
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:47 PM   #7
whoster
Lexus Fanatic
 
whoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Inside
Posts: 5,321
Default

I had something like this happen--a stray had five kitten in our backyard when I was young (elementary school) and I liked that they were around, and gave them little snacks and whatnot. Since at the time we were living in Australia and had backyard BBQs, the mother cat participated whether she was invited or not (not that we minded too much).

But as the kittens got older the mother moved out of our "safe" backyard and went away.
whoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:56 PM   #8
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Och's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 10,858
Default

I would like the mother to stick around, because shes been coming by for a while, she even goes inside the house sometimes, but she doesnt let us approach her too close. She'd come into the living room, sit across the couch and stare at us, but once we try to approach her she'd run away.

I'll probably bring the kittens to the shelter once they grow up a little, if they don't run away by then.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:04 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The GYM!
Posts: 8,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
So this cat has been coming over to our backyard for the past couple of months and we've been feeding her, and made her a place under the porch stair. She looked kind of fat, and I wondered if she was pregnant, but then I just though that she must be fat because we were overfeeding her.

Then about a week ago she disappeared for a whole day. She used to come by twice a day, around 10am and 6pm to eat, but that day she didn't show up at all, and I was wondering if anything has happened to her.

Then she shows up the next day, and she looks half the size and kind of unrested. So I figured right away that she must've given birth. She was hungrier than a tiger that day. I go to check under the porch if there are any kittens there, but theres nothing there.

So just my wife and I were in the backyard and I hear a faint meow. I couldn't figure out where its coming from, but then I see the cat coming out from behind the couch that we have on the porch. I took a quick peek in there, and sure enough, there are kittens there. I didn't get a good look to see how many, because I don't want to scare her away.

This is kind of cool and annoying at the same time. There are a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood and most people do not mind them, and a lot of people actually feed them. I don't mind one cat living in my backyard, but I don't really want hordes of cats occupying and multiplying there. I wonder if I should bring them to a shelter when they grow a little bigger for adoption, or what should I do? If anybody in Brooklyn wants a kitten, let me know
I love animals. However... I do not condone feeding stray animals or encouraging/sheltering their multiplying. Just my $.02
I'm sure Mr. Barker has more to say....
Attached Thumbnails
There are kittens in my back yard! (updated w crazy #### page 6)-bob-barker-dissapoint.jpg  
TXSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:09 PM   #10
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
oohpapi44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SouthSide Qns
Posts: 5,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
I would like the mother to stick around, because shes been coming by for a while, she even goes inside the house sometimes, but she doesnt let us approach her too close. She'd come into the living room, sit across the couch and stare at us, but once we try to approach her she'd run away.

I'll probably bring the kittens to the shelter once they grow up a little, if they don't run away by then.
If you want the kittens to go to homes then you need to get them to the shelter as soon as they are weaned from their mother (around the time their eyes are no longer blue). Much longer after that, they will likely just be put to sleep since it will take some effort to tame them afterwards.
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:11 PM   #11
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Och's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 10,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
If you want the kittens to go to homes then you need to get them to the shelter as soon as they are weaned from their mother (around the time their eyes are no longer blue). Much longer after that, they will likely just be put to sleep since it will take some effort to tame them afterwards.
Thats pretty much what I'll do. Right now they are only around a week old.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:21 PM   #12
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
oohpapi44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SouthSide Qns
Posts: 5,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Thats pretty much what I'll do. Right now they are only around a week old.
A lot easier than it sounds though, you'll probably have to call the shelter to come and get them because they won't want to be caught.

Or if they are on your porch, you need to start handling them now so they'll get used to you and human contact (but you face an obstacle with the mother still being around who will want to protect them and may move them). Once they are able to move, the mom will teach them exactly what she is currently doing and that is to stay away. Because of where we live, finding a hiding spot is pretty easy.

Sounds cruel but the best solution for the kittens is the mom to be out of the picture. The kittens will then get hungry enough to to any surrogate parent to care for them.
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:31 PM   #13
xuserx04
Lead Lap
iTrader: (5)
 
xuserx04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 602
Default

I got my cat from a friend after somebody left him outside her doorsteps when he was just about one week old, look at him now. Puts a smile on my face every time.

xuserx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:37 PM   #14
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Och's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 10,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
A lot easier than it sounds though, you'll probably have to call the shelter to come and get them because they won't want to be caught.

Or if they are on your porch, you need to start handling them now so they'll get used to you and human contact (but you face an obstacle with the mother still being around who will want to protect them and may move them). Once they are able to move, the mom will teach them exactly what she is currently doing and that is to stay away. Because of where we live, finding a hiding spot is pretty easy.

Sounds cruel but the best solution for the kittens is the mom to be out of the picture. The kittens will then get hungry enough to to any surrogate parent to care for them.
I heard that if you touch the kitten while the mother is still feeding them, she will stop feeding them and they will die?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 02:22 PM   #15
scoobymike
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 31
Default

I heard that's true with hamsters...the mother will smell the human scent and it will lead her to bite off all the baby hamsters' heads.
scoobymike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wife crashes her own funeral after husband paid to have her killed mmarshall The Clubhouse 0 02-06-16 07:06 AM
Need advice: Vehicle Wrongly Towed KillaIS250 Car Chat 34 01-07-15 07:31 PM
Darwin Award nominee for 2008 cpone The Clubhouse 30 03-13-08 02:04 PM
Guys, I need a little advice on a very serious issue...(long) mjr24 The Clubhouse 24 03-06-07 09:55 PM
Courtney Love Arrested In N.Y. TLW The Clubhouse 4 03-18-04 07:31 PM


Tags
3472544129, acclimate, approach, back, backyard, car, cat, indoor, kittens, living, missdoll69gmailcom, mother, och, rid, stray, yard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved