Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

There are kittens in my back yard! (updated w crazy #### page 6)

Old 03-22-11, 12:01 PM   #1
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Och
Default There are kittens in my back yard! (updated w crazy #### page 6)

So this cat has been coming over to our backyard for the past couple of months and we've been feeding her, and made her a place under the porch stair. She looked kind of fat, and I wondered if she was pregnant, but then I just though that she must be fat because we were overfeeding her.

Then about a week ago she disappeared for a whole day. She used to come by twice a day, around 10am and 6pm to eat, but that day she didn't show up at all, and I was wondering if anything has happened to her.

Then she shows up the next day, and she looks half the size and kind of unrested. So I figured right away that she must've given birth. She was hungrier than a tiger that day. I go to check under the porch if there are any kittens there, but theres nothing there.

So just my wife and I were in the backyard and I hear a faint meow. I couldn't figure out where its coming from, but then I see the cat coming out from behind the couch that we have on the porch. I took a quick peek in there, and sure enough, there are kittens there. I didn't get a good look to see how many, because I don't want to scare her away.

This is kind of cool and annoying at the same time. There are a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood and most people do not mind them, and a lot of people actually feed them. I don't mind one cat living in my backyard, but I don't really want hordes of cats occupying and multiplying there. I wonder if I should bring them to a shelter when they grow a little bigger for adoption, or what should I do? If anybody in Brooklyn wants a kitten, let me know
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by Och; 05-02-11 at 09:54 PM..
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:16 PM   #2
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000548829927 AWD GS

does the mother cat have a tag or collar on it? it could be someones cat that they let out. i know my gf lets her cat out but she usually just stays in the yard for a few hours then comes back in. if theres a tag or anything id just drop the kittens off to them, problem solved

2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD Glacier Frost Mica - Black - ML Package
20" x 8.5" Status Knight Wheels Black with Machine Face | Bridgestone G-Force Tires 245/30/20 | BC Racing Coilovers | Carson Tuned Lip Kit | 3000k HID Fogs | Prestigious Society Navi/DVD Override Kit | 15% Tint | Black Roof and Window Trim
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:19 PM   #3
Och
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXI187IXI View Post
does the mother cat have a tag or collar on it? it could be someones cat that they let out. i know my gf lets her cat out but she usually just stays in the yard for a few hours then comes back in. if theres a tag or anything id just drop the kittens off to them, problem solved
Nah, shes a stray cat.

However I'm pretty sure whom the father is, because he sometimes comes by, and they hang out together on the couch and he eats leftover food that she doesn't finish. They are both black with white spots and from what I could see the kittens are the same color. The "father" lives in the house directly across the street, and I wonder if I should knock on their door looking for child support
Old 03-22-11, 12:52 PM   #4
Micaiah
Trader Score: (0)

Awwwww kitties!!

If you can, I would suggest gathering mom and babies and bringing them to the local rescue (not animal shelter). When the kitties are able, they would spay/neuter them and the mom and find loving homes for them.

Then I would go to the father's house and suggest that maybe they have him fixed so as to not have any more issues like this one again.

F-Sport: wheels 19" | BBK | exhaust | sway bar kit | carbon fiber shift **** | mats | springs | shocks | intake

2003 IS300

2003 IS300 SportCross
Micaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:02 PM   #5
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Get rid of them as soon as you can. Unless the mother abandons them they will become feral before you know it. They also are dinner invitations to larger animals. We used to have a bunch of cats around and they kept breeding and were a dinner bell to racoons in the area.

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:20 PM   #6
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)

our two cats are from similar story you had. it started out just didn't want them to be around and nowhere to stay, but now they are sooo part of our family
Old 03-22-11, 01:47 PM   #7
whoster
Lexus Fanatic

JoeBE4RD JYoonJr be4rdless
Send a message via AIM to whoster Send a message via MSN to whoster

I had something like this happen--a stray had five kitten in our backyard when I was young (elementary school) and I liked that they were around, and gave them little snacks and whatnot. Since at the time we were living in Australia and had backyard BBQs, the mother cat participated whether she was invited or not (not that we minded too much).

But as the kittens got older the mother moved out of our "safe" backyard and went away.

May she live forever.
VPTLN821
twitter
whoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:56 PM   #8
Och
Lexus Fanatic

I would like the mother to stick around, because shes been coming by for a while, she even goes inside the house sometimes, but she doesnt let us approach her too close. She'd come into the living room, sit across the couch and stare at us, but once we try to approach her she'd run away.

I'll probably bring the kittens to the shelter once they grow up a little, if they don't run away by then.
Old 03-22-11, 02:04 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
So this cat has been coming over to our backyard for the past couple of months and we've been feeding her, and made her a place under the porch stair. She looked kind of fat, and I wondered if she was pregnant, but then I just though that she must be fat because we were overfeeding her.

Then about a week ago she disappeared for a whole day. She used to come by twice a day, around 10am and 6pm to eat, but that day she didn't show up at all, and I was wondering if anything has happened to her.

Then she shows up the next day, and she looks half the size and kind of unrested. So I figured right away that she must've given birth. She was hungrier than a tiger that day. I go to check under the porch if there are any kittens there, but theres nothing there.

So just my wife and I were in the backyard and I hear a faint meow. I couldn't figure out where its coming from, but then I see the cat coming out from behind the couch that we have on the porch. I took a quick peek in there, and sure enough, there are kittens there. I didn't get a good look to see how many, because I don't want to scare her away.

This is kind of cool and annoying at the same time. There are a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood and most people do not mind them, and a lot of people actually feed them. I don't mind one cat living in my backyard, but I don't really want hordes of cats occupying and multiplying there. I wonder if I should bring them to a shelter when they grow a little bigger for adoption, or what should I do? If anybody in Brooklyn wants a kitten, let me know
I love animals. However... I do not condone feeding stray animals or encouraging/sheltering their multiplying. Just my $.02
I'm sure Mr. Barker has more to say....
Attached Images

TXSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 02:09 PM   #10
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
I would like the mother to stick around, because shes been coming by for a while, she even goes inside the house sometimes, but she doesnt let us approach her too close. She'd come into the living room, sit across the couch and stare at us, but once we try to approach her she'd run away.

I'll probably bring the kittens to the shelter once they grow up a little, if they don't run away by then.
If you want the kittens to go to homes then you need to get them to the shelter as soon as they are weaned from their mother (around the time their eyes are no longer blue). Much longer after that, they will likely just be put to sleep since it will take some effort to tame them afterwards.

2011 - RX450h
Old 03-22-11, 02:11 PM   #11
Och
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
If you want the kittens to go to homes then you need to get them to the shelter as soon as they are weaned from their mother (around the time their eyes are no longer blue). Much longer after that, they will likely just be put to sleep since it will take some effort to tame them afterwards.
Thats pretty much what I'll do. Right now they are only around a week old.
Old 03-22-11, 02:21 PM   #12
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Thats pretty much what I'll do. Right now they are only around a week old.
A lot easier than it sounds though, you'll probably have to call the shelter to come and get them because they won't want to be caught.

Or if they are on your porch, you need to start handling them now so they'll get used to you and human contact (but you face an obstacle with the mother still being around who will want to protect them and may move them). Once they are able to move, the mom will teach them exactly what she is currently doing and that is to stay away. Because of where we live, finding a hiding spot is pretty easy.

Sounds cruel but the best solution for the kittens is the mom to be out of the picture. The kittens will then get hungry enough to to any surrogate parent to care for them.

2011 - RX450h
Old 03-22-11, 02:31 PM   #13
xuserx04
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via ICQ to xuserx04

I got my cat from a friend after somebody left him outside her doorsteps when he was just about one week old, look at him now. Puts a smile on my face every time.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-22-11, 02:37 PM   #14
Och
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
A lot easier than it sounds though, you'll probably have to call the shelter to come and get them because they won't want to be caught.

Or if they are on your porch, you need to start handling them now so they'll get used to you and human contact (but you face an obstacle with the mother still being around who will want to protect them and may move them). Once they are able to move, the mom will teach them exactly what she is currently doing and that is to stay away. Because of where we live, finding a hiding spot is pretty easy.

Sounds cruel but the best solution for the kittens is the mom to be out of the picture. The kittens will then get hungry enough to to any surrogate parent to care for them.
I heard that if you touch the kitten while the mother is still feeding them, she will stop feeding them and they will die?
Old 03-22-11, 03:22 PM   #15
scoobymike
Driver School Candidate

I heard that's true with hamsters...the mother will smell the human scent and it will lead her to bite off all the baby hamsters' heads.
scoobymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 03:22 PM