Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

There are kittens in my back yard! (updated w crazy #### page 6)

Old 03-22-11, 03:00 PM   #16
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
I heard that if you touch the kitten while the mother is still feeding them, she will stop feeding them and they will die?
No, it's the opposite, the kittens need human contact as soon as possible. The fact is that the cats do not have a good prognosis while the mother is still involved in their lives. You'll be helping the kittens out by taking them to a shelter as soon as possible while they can still be tamed. Shelters will not accept them once feral.

Here is some info from the aspca website:

Quote:
How Can I Keep Feral Cats Out of My Yard?
Whether feral cats are roaming your yard, digging up your garden, rooting through your trash or making a home under your porch, there are several types of harmless cat repellents available to help. From sprays and motion-activated sprinklers to ultrasonic animal repellents, these quick and easy solutions, coupled with Trap-Neuter-Return and ongoing management, can help you coexist with your neighborhood cats! Just make sure your product of choice is nontoxic to animals.

Will Animal Shelters Adopt Out Feral Cats?
No, feral cats are not adoptable and shelters rarely will accept them. The fact is, most feral cats exhibit wild, shy or frightened behavior and it's impossible to predict how or if they will ever acclimate to indoor life. Feral cats make up a large percentage of the four million to six million cats euthanized yearly by U.S. animal shelters. Adopting a feral is seldom the best course of action for either the cat or the prospective owner.

Can I Tame a Feral Cat?
We do not recommend it. While a feral cat might look exactly the same as a pet cat, they're actually very different. Feral cats survive by avoiding close human interaction. When properly cared for, feral cats are happier outdoors in their own territory—they have their own hierarchies and are able to exhibit their natural behaviors. There is very little success in adopting a truly feral cat. “When I first started doing TNR,” Oldham recalls, “I, like many first-time rescuers, tried to socialize a feral cat. He remained under my bed for over a year before I could even touch him. With so many adoptable domestic cats and kittens who are truly happy being indoors, socializing a feral cat should not be the goal.”

Can I Tame a Semi-Feral Cat?
Some semi-feral cats are actually stray cats who don't exhibit quite the same shy behavior as the majority of feral cats. Many semi-ferals are stray cats who are lost or abandined. Occasionally they were born feral but for no particular reason are less fearful of humans than is typical. Many semi-ferals lack the knowledge to survive on their own, and are often rejected by established colonies.

Itis possible for some of these cats to be socialized, but it depends on their trust of humans. “Many people wonder how they can tell if a cat is feral or an afraid domestic—that's a hard judgment call,” Oldham states. “My advice in these situations is to trap and neuter the cat and see how he responds when you are holding him for recovery in a quiet space. If he vocalizes to you, affectionately rubs his cheeks on you, he's likely been socialized by people at some point in the past.”

It is very important to take caution, especially with cats who seem to straddle the fence between feral and friendly. Getting them to trust people again might be hard and it's possible they might imprint on you only, making them extremely difficult to adopt out. The Urban Cat League is a great resource for socializing semi-feral cats.

How Can I Help Feral Kittens?
It is important to trap feral kittens, and whenever possible, foster and socialize them until they are old enough to be adopted out. “Once born, they struggle to survive,” Christian confirms. “Their mortality rate is very high because of all the challenges of life outside on the streets."

How Do I Tame Feral Kittens?
The Urban Cat League has a great resource for socializing feral kittens, if you have the time and energy to dedicate to the task. Here are some tips to help you along:

•Whenever possible, kittens should continue to nurse until four weeks old—this can be done in captivity.

•Do not let feral kittens run loose—they can hide in tiny spaces and are exceptionally difficult to find and catch.

•Confine the kittens in a dog crate, cat condo or cage with a small litter box, food, water and something snuggly to cuddle in.

•Food is the key to socializing. Give the kitten a small amount of wet food by hand at least twice a day—eventually the kitten will associate your presence with food. For those who are more feral, start by offering baby food or wet food on a spoon through the cage.

•Younger and less feral kittens can be picked up right away. Make a kitty burrito by wrapping the kitten in a towel, allowing her head to stick out.

•Once the kitten no longer runs away from you but instead comes toward you seeking to be fed, held and pet, you can confine her to a small room.

•Be sure to expose the kittens to a variety of people.

•Do not forget about the mom—spaying her is essential as well.

Why Can’t the ASPCA Take in Feral Cats and Socialize Them?
Socializing feral cats involves an extreme amount of patience, time and energy and there is no guarantee that the cat will become tame. Unfortunately, with the numerous friendly and adoptable animals the ASPCA already has, resources to socialize feral animals are scarce.

What Do I Do If I Find a Stray Cat?
Stray cats will usually try to make contact with you, even if they are a bit fearful at first. If you find a stray cat, please take the following actions:

•Check with your neighbors to see if their cat is missing.

•Bring the cat to a shelter or veterinary clinic to be scanned for a microchip.

•Notify all local veterinary hospitals and shelters so they can post the information in their lost-and-found resources.

•Consider fostering the cat rather than bringing her to the shelter—most shelters only hold strays for a few days, often euthanizing them after the mandatory holding period.

•Check classifieds for lost pets and run a “found” ad of your own. Make sure your description is brief so that callers will need to truly identify the cat.

Do You Have Any Tips For Trapping a Cat?
Here are some basic tips to help with TNR rescue:

•When possible, trap in dry, temperate weather.

•Do not feed the cats a full 36 hours before trapping, as they must be hungry to enter the trap.

•If you’ll be trapping in an area where pet cats are roaming, please inform your neighbors.

•Human grade Tuna, Mackeral, Sardines and Salmon work well. Avoid canned cat food, they are used to it. Place the food inside the trap, behind the trip plate so the cat is sure to step on it when eating.

•Transport the trapped cat to your veterinarian for spaying and neutering immediately upon capture.

•Place a sheet or towel over the trap so the cat feels secure to reduce anxiety.

•Ask that the cat be ear-tipped—have the tip of one ear snipped during surgery—to help future rescuers identify him. This is a painless and risk-free procedure.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:35 PM   #17
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Och

This is some very very good information there. I never even knew that you couldn't adopt a feral cat.

My wife used to work for a steel shop and her boss was obsessed with cat. He had 3 cats living in the office and a bunch of I guess semi-feral cats living in the yard all the time. The cats in the yard didn't avoid human contact at all, quite the opposite in fact because everyone fed them and played with them. I remember coming over to the shop to pick up wife and a bunch of cats would run after me, lol. Its cute, but I don't want that in my back yard.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 06:26 AM   #18
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
This is some very very good information there. I never even knew that you couldn't adopt a feral cat.

My wife used to work for a steel shop and her boss was obsessed with cat. He had 3 cats living in the office and a bunch of I guess semi-feral cats living in the yard all the time. The cats in the yard didn't avoid human contact at all, quite the opposite in fact because everyone fed them and played with them. I remember coming over to the shop to pick up wife and a bunch of cats would run after me, lol. Its cute, but I don't want that in my back yard.

lol and the funny part is, I absolutely DETEST cats... We have a mutual understanding. I don't like them and they don't like me so we just avoid each other. Give me a dog any day.

lol love kittens though.

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 05:43 AM   #19
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuserx04 View Post
I got my cat from a friend after somebody left him outside her doorsteps when he was just about one week old, look at him now. Puts a smile on my face every time.

Click the image to open in full size.
That kind of looks like the stray kitten that we picked up a while back.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-11, 11:17 AM   #20
Och
Lexus Fanatic

I'm getting worried again, their mother hasn't shown up today at all.
Old 03-24-11, 08:02 PM   #21
xuserx04
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via ICQ to xuserx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexmex View Post
That kind of looks like the stray kitten that we picked up a while back.
Is it a girl? I do know that he has a sister some where.
Old 03-25-11, 03:26 AM   #22
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (15)

Any pictures of these kittens?
TLN#745
*Starts to breakdance on floor*
CrazySC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 04:24 AM   #23
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

Kitten born to a feral mother can be adopted out. My sister has two she picked up from her vet's office. Unfortunately mom had to be put to sleep. One of my cats is feral, adopted at one year after spending a few months at a shelter. While he might not be the most loving cat in the world, he has his moments. And I'm not giving up on him.

Och, I'd check with local vets to see if they will take the kittens in especially since mom has not come back. Some will adopt them out and charge adoption fees equal to their vet care. The two shelters I donate to, St. Hubert's and Tabby's Place, will keep them until they find a forever home. Good luck.

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 05:29 AM   #24
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuserx04 View Post
Is it a girl? I do know that he has a sister some where.
He is a boy and used to have a brother that got hit by a car about a year ago.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-11, 07:02 AM   #25
Och
Lexus Fanatic

My wife actually checked with the Petco store. They suggested that we take these kittens away from the mother before they open their eyes and become feral, take care them for a couple of weeks, and then bring them to shelter for adoption. This is the plan so far.

P.S.

The mother returned.
Old 03-25-11, 12:13 PM   #26
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to llamaboiz

so... i guess the big question is, how you gonna cook them?
*RA CruisePICS*
*HellaFlush AlohaKings 2, PICS*

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them - Ronald Reagan
llamaboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 03:50 PM   #27
Diemellz
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySC300 View Post
Any pictures of these kittens?
yeah what he said
Diemellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 07:24 PM   #28
Micaiah

Quote:
My wife actually checked with the Petco store. They suggested that we take these kittens away from the mother before they open their eyes and become feral, take care them for a couple of weeks, and then bring them to shelter for adoption. This is the plan so far.

P.S.

The mother returned.
Can you bring them to a rescue instead? Or is the shelter a no kill shelter?

F-Sport: wheels 19" | BBK | exhaust | sway bar kit | carbon fiber shift **** | mats | springs | shocks | intake

2003 IS300

2003 IS300 SportCross
Micaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 02:37 PM   #29
Och
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, so I got them in the house. We will raise them for a couple weeks until they can eat and move around by themselves, and bring them to a shelter that will fix them and find them homes.

There are three of them and they are all black with white paws and faces. Real cute.

If anyone in NYC and wants a kitty, let me know.

Old 03-27-11, 03:04 PM   #30
Och
Lexus Fanatic

Old 03-27-11, 03:04 PM

Tags
3472544129, acclimate, approach, back, backyard, car, cat, indoor, kittens, living, missdoll69gmailcom, mother, och, rid, stray, yard