Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Greyhound Express shipping warning!!!

Old 01-17-11, 12:07 AM   #16
texan_176
Driver
Trader Score: (5)

That is pretty bad and I'm sorry to hear it.

I actually bought an interior from a member here for my car. Paypal'ed him $750. He tried to go ship at Greyhound in NYC. Just one front seat was costing $130 to ship because of the size and weight. He backed out and gave me a full refund with an apology. I was down for a while cause it was a great deal on mint OEM leather parts.

Then...I realized it was a blessing. My Greyhound station is in a bad part of town, there are bums all over the street in front of it, and it would be a major PITA to pick up. The cops ticket you for even idling outside, there is no lot on the same block, and I would struggle hauling giant boxes outside.

Next time with something expensive and big that UPS and FEDEX will not take you might try these guys:
http://www.pods.com/

I do not know the cost but someone I know transported an engine with a front clip in one of them 4 states over. Delivery was flawless and they had online real time tracking of the container to know where it was at all times. I should have used these guys for my needs but did not know about them at the time.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
texan_176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 12:17 AM   #17
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (54)

had a set of wheels shipped to me via greyhound express.

the "tracking" number wasn't worth much. it's not like UPS or fedex where you can track the packages online.

didn't care much for the pick-up point/station. while it was somewhat conveniently near my office, the station's location wasn't exactly the sunny side of town. driving a newer model X5 to pick up a set of wheels in the more-run-down side of town by myself was, uh, interesting.

the guy behind the counter at the station wasn't very helpful. granted, he called me to let me know my packages had arrived, but when i got there all he did was point in the general direction of where the packages were and told me to help myself.

after sorting through a few other packages, i picked mine out and saw that they came torn and tattered. if they weren't tossed around, someone opened the boxes up to take a look-see at the contents.

luckily the wheels were already in need of some serious TLC; if they had come new, they would have needed it after the cross-country trip. and honestly, that's assuming IF they had made it. (luckily for me, they did.)

having gone through that experience, if i were to do this a second time around, i'm not sure i would opt for greyhound express.

your interpretation is not my problem / illegitimus non carborundum.
projectdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 01:42 AM   #18
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Your personal experience with Greyhound doesn't define who they are.

I use them regularly for courier service and have never once had an issue. Typically things arrive before their quoted delivery time and always has gotten exactly where it was supposed to go.

Good luck with your issue. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

2011 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
2010 X5 35d Space Grey

2008 ISF SGM (Gone but never forgotten!)
2005 RX330 Flint Mica (Gone but not forgotten!)
CDNROCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 03:57 AM   #19
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^^
I suspect Greyhound in Canada is a different story than in the U.S. Here, the company has gone to pot over the years.
14 Accord
12 Ridgeline
05 S2000
caddyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:01 AM   #20
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

sorry to hear this.....but why would you use greyhound to ship these anyway?
Old 01-17-11, 07:05 AM   #21
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
sorry to hear this.....but why would you use greyhound to ship these anyway?
i hear ya, but as you can see many others have had a good experience with it, so why not? maybe it was convenient for sender or they've had good experience, or a friend/relative works there, whatever.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:08 AM   #22
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Greyhound was the choice for private shippers and small companies back in the day before the large express companies came to dominate the market. If you had something heavy, bulky, or otherwise difficult to ship, GH made it easy.

Back in the '70's, the little company I worked for shipped 75# crates of electronic gear back and forth between Houston and Lake Charles. The bus made only one stop enroute, in Beaumont, and the trip took about four hours - only about 45 minutes longer than driving straight through.

If I recall correctly, the freight cost was something like $14, per crate, one way. The crates were always handled carefully - if for no other reason than one of our people being on each end to supervise loading/unloading at either end of the run.

At the time, UPS would have been nearly three times that amount and would have taken a couple of days, and FedEx wasn't even handling packages of that size. Motor Freight was about the same price, but delivery was pretty iffy - they were just not calibrated to serve short-run freight, nor were the Air Freight forwarders. There were no dependable schedules, and our company couldn't afford to have valuable equipment just sitting in a warehouse for days on end.

It's sad to see this excellent service having difficulties, whether it's a management problem or a loss of business focus. Before FedEx and UPS served the market, Greyhound was the carrier of choice for small business and commercial short-run freight.
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 08:19 AM   #23
DonCorleone
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (4)

I don't see why you'd be out. It's the shippers responsibility to get the item to you safely/as advertised. If you didn't get the item, the seller should be on greyhound's butt and deal with the items not getting to the buyer. The seller eats the loss unless you had some agreement to take the risk and assume the loss by shipping through greyhound. That's just me though.
DonCorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 11:04 AM   #24
RX469
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to RX469

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES View Post
Your personal experience with Greyhound doesn't define who they are.

I use them regularly for courier service and have never once had an issue. Typically things arrive before their quoted delivery time and always has gotten exactly where it was supposed to go.

Good luck with your issue. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

This is true, HOWEVER, if his experience following-up with Greyhound is accurate, there is no reason he should be treated so trivally like he's not a valued paying customer. I personally think it's inexcusable for Greyhound to demonstrate such lack of interest in assisting to locate his packages.

Every package is equally important to the respective receipient!

Wanted: Toyota Back-up camera - Video Rearview Mirror - Air Bag for MR-S or Celica GT-S Steering Wheel
RX469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 03:40 PM   #25
Beardog
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)

37 days and no wheels found yet. Still just the worst service I have ever encountered. Not one singe phone call returned, despite promises by several employees to do so. I am the only one who makes any effort to find my 4 boxes.

So, if they "find " my wheels somewhere 2 months after they were shipped, do I just feel lucky, or should I expect a refund of shipping costs??

I still think that some enterprising person on a dock somewhere got my wheels on a 5 finger discount. Why not, if Greyhound has no way to really track shipments, only pays a maximum of $1K for any losses, and really has no one seriously looking for "lost" shipments? Sounds like a great way to make a living: Just peaking into boxes and stealing any appealing packages at an out of the way "independently owned and operated" bus stop.
2005 LS430
Beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 04:09 PM   #26
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

Sad and it looks like they will be on a permanent vacation from you.

The Greyhound stops of what I see in So. Cal are not very good places as a whole. I see homeless nearby and several of the stops are not in good parts of town. Some of the drivers leave the cargo doors open so that passengers can self load and unload as necessary. No supervision/security at all.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 07:08 PM   #27
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (4)

and someone wanted me to ship my body kit via greyhound.. NEVERRR

Just a plain cinnabar 98 GS4
A "little" bit of stuff
vwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:18 PM   #28
LiCelsior
Liberty's VIP STi
Trader Score: (30)

LiCelsior

surprised u havent got a police report.
Old 02-19-14, 11:34 AM   #29
amybishop
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
37 days and no wheels found yet. Still just the worst service I have ever encountered. Not one singe phone call returned, despite promises by several employees to do so. I am the only one who makes any effort to find my 4 boxes.

So, if they "find " my wheels somewhere 2 months after they were shipped, do I just feel lucky, or should I expect a refund of shipping costs??

I still think that some enterprising person on a dock somewhere got my wheels on a 5 finger discount. Why not, if Greyhound has no way to really track shipments, only pays a maximum of $1K for any losses, and really has no one seriously looking for "lost" shipments? Sounds like a great way to make a living: Just peaking into boxes and stealing any appealing packages at an out of the way "independently owned and operated" bus stop.
Hey, it's been three years. What happened to your wheels?
amybishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 02:23 PM   #30
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

OP has not been active since 03-29-13.
Good bet is they are gone and he's out of the $ and wheels.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 02:23 PM

Tags
diego, express, give, greyhound, lost, number, package, reviews, san, ship, shipping, sucks, things, time, tracking