Register Forgot Password?

HD Camcorder talk...

Old 08-20-10, 01:28 PM   #16
Jetfire
Royale with cheese
Trader Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMut View Post
if the 7D was smaller, i would jump all over that for photos and HD vid. But it's pricey and kind of bulky compared to a small HD camcorder (size of a coke can) and a decent point and shoot for photos. Actually, a lot of the HD camcorders can snap photos as well... not sure how the quality is on them.
the t2i is smaller than the 7D
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Haruhiko Tanahashi(Chief engineer):"when I was thinking of the LFA's character I was thinking of the whole women. A woman can be passionate and elegant, but she is also capable of being quite exciting and has a need to be dominated"
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:14 PM   #17
lexmenow
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

canon hv30 go get it now. PERIOD. end of discussion. Check youtube videos to confirm. Why spend $$$$ when the hv30 is cheaper and on par with current hd cams also mini dv keep video quality better then hard drive and is dirt cheap.
FreekTune 93 and E85 map
<---Baby mama
lexmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 03:21 PM   #18
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6V6...eature=related
FreekTune 93 and E85 map
<---Baby mama
lexmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 09:51 PM   #19
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
Henry...I've been this route before and I've reached the end of my journey. Having been sick and tired of having multiple devices to do certain things, my latest upgrade (Canon 7D) has resolved the necessity of multiple devices. You're a Nikon guy and there are many choices with Nikons but my point is, get a DSLR that can do both. I love being able to quickly switch between modes. Great stills of my kids and if for some reason i want to film them right away, an easy flip to record mode is all i need to capture full 1080p.

One thing that's always bothered me with stand alone camcorders is that they are never wide enough for me. With a DSLR, I can use a 10-22 on it and it's awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMut View Post
if the 7D was smaller, i would jump all over that for photos and HD vid. But it's pricey and kind of bulky compared to a small HD camcorder (size of a coke can) and a decent point and shoot for photos. Actually, a lot of the HD camcorders can snap photos as well... not sure how the quality is on them.
The Rebel 2ti will also shoot HD movies for less than the 7D.

2011 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
2010 X5 35d Space Grey

2008 ISF SGM (Gone but never forgotten!)
2005 RX330 Flint Mica (Gone but not forgotten!)
CDNROCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 11:29 PM   #20
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

As nice as DSLR's are for amature film making. I don't think they're very good for home videos. There's no autofocus and when kids and pets run around how are you going to keep up?
Old 08-21-10, 10:07 AM   #21
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)

thanks again for all the info and pms, really appreciate it. still reading a lot and trying to learn about the details. always try to read more before making decisions, i just hope that will happen before the baby is here!!
Old 08-22-10, 08:52 PM   #22
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Out of the box, the sound will be much better on the dedicated camcorder. So will the autofocus. I'm using both types (mark IV DSLR and HDV camcorder) and each has their place.

The one that I'm using now...
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...corders/xh_a1s

But will probably upgrade to the XF305. 4:2:2 color space is hard to argue with.
Percy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:51 PM   #23
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I got the Panasonic HDC-HS250K (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702), it's pretty much the same thing as the Top-of-Line Panasonic HDC-TM700K, main difference being that model has viewfinder, but who cares, viewfinder is pain in the ***. You do definitely want something with a big hard drive, not just SD card. A big SD card will cost $$$. Sure it's heavier, but I like the weight of it in my hands, feels more solid. As for picture quality they would be the same. Main advantage of the Sony HDR-XR500V is better low light pictures and better LCD screen. Sony has bunch of useless features like GPS and golf shots. I think Panasonic's 3CMOS can't be beat. Good Luck!

2014 Acura MDX | TECH | SH-AWD | Sport Bumpers F&R | White w/ Gray
2004 Lexus LS430| ULTRA Lux | Pioneer DVD | Alpine Monitors | White w/ Saddle
2006 Lexus GS430| M.L. | iSimple | 3M Film | Silver w/ Black
2006 Mercedes-Benz E350| AMG Sport | Black w/ Black
2004 BMW 545i| Premium w/ Navigation | Silver w/ Black
2002 BMW 540i| Premium w/ Navigation | Black w/ Black
1998 Lexus GS400|TRD 18" Machined Lip | Black w/ Tan
KILLERGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:57 PM   #24
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

The only complaint I have about the Panasonic is no editing in the software provided, except maybe just the Very Basic stuff. Another bad thing is that it takes super long time to burn to DVD files, and AVCHD is really fast. I guess thats because it records in AVCHD on the hard drive. When you record highest quality in AVCHD on a regular DVD, it's going to be about 30 minutes worth.

2014 Acura MDX | TECH | SH-AWD | Sport Bumpers F&R | White w/ Gray
2004 Lexus LS430| ULTRA Lux | Pioneer DVD | Alpine Monitors | White w/ Saddle
2006 Lexus GS430| M.L. | iSimple | 3M Film | Silver w/ Black
2006 Mercedes-Benz E350| AMG Sport | Black w/ Black
2004 BMW 545i| Premium w/ Navigation | Silver w/ Black
2002 BMW 540i| Premium w/ Navigation | Black w/ Black
1998 Lexus GS400|TRD 18" Machined Lip | Black w/ Tan
KILLERGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 07:33 AM   #25
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy View Post
Out of the box, the sound will be much better on the dedicated camcorder. So will the autofocus. I'm using both types (mark IV DSLR and HDV camcorder) and each has their place.

But will probably upgrade to the XF305. 4:2:2 color space is hard to argue with.
lol, yeah, i'm sure henry's ready to drop eight grand on that xf305. AWESOME camera though!!!!
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 12:13 PM   #26
ABC
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy View Post

Good choices, but I don't think the OP is looking for a prosumer camera... $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERGS4 View Post
The only complaint I have about the Panasonic is no editing in the software provided, except maybe just the Very Basic stuff. Another bad thing is that it takes super long time to burn to DVD files, and AVCHD is really fast. I guess thats because it records in AVCHD on the hard drive. When you record highest quality in AVCHD on a regular DVD, it's going to be about 30 minutes worth.
None of the consumer based HD camcorders come with much in the way of editing software. You really need to purchase that separately to get anything decent.

And you're right, AVCHD on the highest settings is about 60 min per 8GB. Editing the large video on a slower pc is also not a fun experience.
Old 08-23-10, 05:16 PM   #27
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)

indeed more to read up, thanks guys and haha no i am not spending 8k on camcorder yet
Old 08-24-10, 02:27 AM   #28
Jetfire
Royale with cheese
Trader Score: (3)

for those of you who are House fans, the season finale was shot with a canon 5D MKII. it looked pretty damn good in HD to me.

for those who didn't see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAaZZQhuyMo
Haruhiko Tanahashi(Chief engineer):"when I was thinking of the LFA's character I was thinking of the whole women. A woman can be passionate and elegant, but she is also capable of being quite exciting and has a need to be dominated"
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 11:40 AM   #29
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

The main problem with the 5dm2, 7d and 1dm4 video is that the focus system is not good for any type of movement towards or away from the camera. If you notice, the scenes shot with the 5dm2 are fairly linear when compared to the focus plane.

5dm2 does have the option of having some focus aids (external) that can be added to the lenses. Just not nearly as nice as a dedicated camcorder.

A dedicated camcorder will almost always focus faster due to the focal length involved, often being much wider than the focal lengths used for the dslrs. The size of the sensor for the camcorders help also with regards to the field of view - less mass for the given crop factor of the camcorders.

What Canon can do, and I'm VERY sure they have the technology and data throughput, is make the 5dm2 a 21mp video camera. I'm not talking about "full HD" at 1920x1080, but instead, have the full 21 megapixels PER FRAME, at 24P, all the good stuff. They would knock out the RED series cameras if they used the right converters, data rate, etc.
Percy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 09:50 PM   #30
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Now a new contender. The just announced Sony *** with super fast autofocus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJ5J--sjtI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKed3...eature=related
Old 08-24-10, 09:50 PM

Tags
2ti, 5dm2, 7d, assignment, camcorder, camera, canon, dedicated, dslr, es350, lexus, movies, rebel, recorder, t2i, video