Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

The Official Android Thread

Old 07-11-10, 03:39 PM   #46
Rash
-75lbs
Trader Score: (1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz7fXu8MMlU

Check out his unboxing + previews on other phones, he's good.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 05:59 PM   #47
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE

Hmmm... Good question.

I'm on the list to grab one from T-Mobile.

So I'll have my trusty BB 9700 at any rate.
TXSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 03:39 AM   #48
geko29
Oil Burner
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashoodz View Post
I want to know what's geko's opinion about this phone.
Glad to hear I'm in demand. There's no question this is going to be the top dog Android phone "for now". One of the things that annoys me about Android in general is how quickly the newest, hottest handsets become old hat. The T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream) isn't even two years old yet, and it looks 5 years old already because so many others have been released in the intervening time. The Motorola Droid is 8 months old and has been eclipsed by more than a dozen handsets in that time.

So while at the moment, the Galaxy S is going to be the pimp android phone (except for my personal favorite, the Streak, but not everybody can handle a 5" screen. ), something's going to come along sooner rather than later to blow it out of the water. Motorola's talking about dual-core handsets by the end of the year (which in my opinion means March of 2011), and others are talking 1.5Ghz or better processors. But to buy yourself a little bit of time, just make sure whatever you get has at least:

1Ghz Snapdragon or equivalent
512MB RAM
4" screen

Because those are the minimum requirements for Gingerbread, the next release of Android (probably 3.0, but could be 2.3). Any handset that doesn't meet those minimum specs will be stuck on Eclair (2.1) or Froyo (2.2) forever. Luckily, the Galaxy S variants (and the Droid X), do meet those requirements, so you're good there.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 04:53 AM   #49
Rash
-75lbs

Yeah I realized there's so many tasty updates on the android, it's getting crazy. The milestone (droid) is just officially released here, less than a month ago. We really lacking android devices here where I live.

I don't like Samsung phones, I find them retarded, but I'm guessing the android versions are cool. If I had the chance to get the droid x, I'll be the first, too bad it's US only.

I made a thread about the Dell streak yesterday, I can order it unlocked but I'm too afraid being too big, I want to try it first. But v1.6 is too old don't you think?

I really like the Galaxy S weight, it's slim and very light. 4 inch and good resolution, and the display is very sharp, samsung is popular with their Super AMOLED displays. Still not sure, I think I'll go for it, or go for the iPhone 4.
Old 07-12-10, 05:01 AM   #50
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to joshoowa Send a message via MSN to joshoowa Send a message via Yahoo to joshoowa

If you can hold out HTC will be unveiling a dual core phone by year end...qualcomm the maker of the snap dragon 1ghz mcpu has already supplied HTC with the chips.

Body: TTE Front Lip, Ltuned Grille, Ltuned sideskits, JDM window visors, Ltuned mufflers
Stance: Daizen bushings, SAGE RCAs, BC Racing Coilovers
Shoes: Zauber Gettins 20x8.5 20x10 Machine Face Polished Lips
joshoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 07:17 AM   #51
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
I made a thread about the Dell streak yesterday, I can order it unlocked but I'm too afraid being too big, I want to try it first. But v1.6 is too old don't you think?
Yes, 1.6 is old, which was my only major reservation with the device. They're promising 2.1 in August or September, but no word yet on 2.2. The problem with "skinned" Android devices, like Dell's interface (forget the name), HTC Sense, or Samsung TouchWiz, is that you can't get the new OS when Google releases it. You have to wait for the handset manufacturer to merge it with their custom UI and fully regression test it, which takes varying degrees of time. Then, of course, the carriers have to approve it, which may require insertion of some custom apps and another round of testing. So there's a variable delay between the release of the OS and when you can use it on your phone. HTC is generally pretty good about it, with a ~2 month delay. Samsung and Dell are both relatively new at this, so it's somewhat of an unknonwn. Dell has never released an Android phone, while Samsung just had the Galaxy, which it has refused to update to 2.1 after promising buyers that they would. They did relent and give 1.6 (they originally shipped with 1.5), but confirmed Eclair is never coming.

Quote:
I really like the Galaxy S weight, it's slim and very light. 4 inch and good resolution, and the display is very sharp, samsung is popular with their Super AMOLED displays. Still not sure, I think I'll go for it, or go for the iPhone 4.
Totally personal preference there. My personal choice, of course, is the iPhone. It's the right device FOR ME. Android is getting closer and closer, but it's still batter in my eyes (to steal Google's "dessert" theme). All the ingredients for greatness are finally there and mixed well, it just needs to bake a little bit. Last year the sugar and flour was missing, but at least the recipe's now complete. Based on the way things are going, I think the cake will be ready to be served probably early next year.

That's not to say an android device isn't the right choice for someone else, even right now. It absolutely is the best setup for some people. For casual users that are not big gamers, or tinkerers who like modifying their devices, there's a lot of freedom inherent in the design (as long as you pick a rootable handset). For people who need to connect to a business/enterprise email system, there are some serious drawbacks, however.

Old 07-12-10, 07:26 AM   #52
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
One of the things that annoys me about Android in general is how quickly the newest, hottest handsets become old hat.
but this to me is why android is to pc's what iphone is to mac, so while android isn't as polished or slick as iphone, the sheer pace of progress IMO is going to overwhelm iphone in the marketplace. i believe android is the single best decision by far that google has made beyond search!

i've not owned an android phone (didn't want early one) or an iphone (at&t blows where i am) but i'll likely be getting an android phone shortly and saying goodbye to blackberry, which is a shame as i've been a giant fan of blackberry for so long - i actually feel some guilt!
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 08:19 AM   #53
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
but this to me is why android is to pc's what iphone is to mac, so while android isn't as polished or slick as iphone, the sheer pace of progress IMO is going to overwhelm iphone in the marketplace. i believe android is the single best decision by far that google has made beyond search!
Oh don't get me wrong, they're making huge leaps forward, which is great--unless you have a 3-month old handset which is now orphaned on an old release. Better than half of android phones currently in use don't even have 2.0, and most will never get it. Likewise, many handsets currently for sale TODAY will never get 2.2 or 3.0. But you're stuck with an un-updatable phone for 2 years until your contract is up, unless you want to fork out $700 or $800 for an unsubsidized handset. Compare that situation to the iPhone, where a handset was just orphaned for the first time at 3 years of age. There are android phones released in 2010 that are already permanently downlevel, where the only hope of a software upgrade is to buy a new phone.

Bottom line in my eyes, android's rapid advancement is good for the smartphone market in general and for POTENTIAL customers, but it's bad for ACTUAL customers who will be stuck with "old" tech for two years.

Old 07-12-10, 09:05 AM   #54
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Bottom line in my eyes, android's rapid advancement is good for the smartphone market in general and for POTENTIAL customers, but it's bad for ACTUAL customers who will be stuck with "old" tech for two years.
i agree 100%, just like some people have old macs that are still perfectly usable, whereas an old PC is typically ready for the scrap heap or a charity.
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 07-12-10, 09:33 AM   #55
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
i agree 100%, just like some people have old macs that are still perfectly usable, whereas an old PC is typically ready for the scrap heap or a charity.
In terms of resale value, this analogy definitely applies, but in terms of functionality, I don't think it does. I have a 4-year-old PC (built with XP) that runs Windows 7 x64 like a champ, and is faster at most tasks than my 18-month-old iMac. My 3-year old laptop (purchased with Vista) also flies running the x64 version of 7, and I'm not planning on replacing it anytime soon. Neither has been obsoleted by new hardware OR software (Office 2010 runs great on both as well).

Old 07-12-10, 09:56 AM   #56
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

ok, it's not exactly the same, i just think the cycle time is shorter, but anyway...

quick question on say a droid vs. a blackberry as far as pop e-mail (not BIS)...

i get mail promptly on my blackberry, which (AFAIK) RIM still does all the processing for, for pop mail.

will i get it promptly on the droid too?
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 07-12-10, 10:25 AM   #57
Rash
-75lbs

I think the iPhone is a better phone too, but I'm a person who likes to change, I get bored quickly, never had a phone that have a screen more than 3.5 inch (iPhone, N900, G1), and I had a T-mobile G1 before for 1-2 weeks (I changed it for no negative reason), that was my only Android phone.
Old 07-12-10, 11:13 AM   #58
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
ok, it's not exactly the same, i just think the cycle time is shorter, but anyway...

quick question on say a droid vs. a blackberry as far as pop e-mail (not BIS)...

i get mail promptly on my blackberry, which (AFAIK) RIM still does all the processing for, for pop mail.

will i get it promptly on the droid too?
FYI POP on blackberry is still BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). RIM polls your email service, grabs your mail and sends it to your device.

You'll get it on the Droid as quickly as the polling interval is set for, same as now. Typically this can be configured for a range from 5 minutes to 15 or more. If your email account supports IMAP idle (most webmail does not), you can enable push, so you'll get your email as quickly as it comes in. With a 5-minute interval, you'll get messages on your phone 2 minutes after they hit your inbox, on average.

With BES (blackberry, obviously) or ActiveSync (everyone else) and an Exchange server, you usually get messages on your phone BEFORE they show up in your inbox, due to the order that Exchange processes message delivery (mobile destinations first).

Old 07-12-10, 11:15 AM   #59
Allen K
Epic Allen
Trader Score: (4)

Phone Arena has been doing some comparisons between the Droid X and iPhone 4/Droid Incredible.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Moto...ew-r_2475.html

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Moto...ew-r_2472.html

Seems to outclass the Incredible in a lot of ways and matches the iPhone 4 in a lot of ways. iPhone 4 camera was ranked higher than the 8MP Droid X

TLN # π--> Allen G(oat)

Thanks...
Allen K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 11:18 AM   #60
Rash
-75lbs

Here we go again, the Droid X, you're killing me!!
Old 07-12-10, 11:18 AM

Tags
2006, 3d, 4g, android, app, book, card, client, clients, club, control, deck, default, divx, droid, es, evo, file, forum, galaxy, gs, hdmi, head, htc, i250, ii, inspire, iphone, lexus, music, mytouch, nexus, phone, pioneer, play, plug, prime, radio, samsung, store, super, sync, syncing, transfer, ubuntu, unit, unplayable, usb, webclient, xvid