Official Android Thread

Old 07-11-14, 06:26 AM   #3436
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
after much effort to fix this... this combo worked:

Settings>>Apps>>All> Force stop, Clear data and cache Google Service Framework and Download Manager

Reboot to recovery

Wipe cache and Dalvik cache

Reboot, let it update, etc.

Re-install Twitter... worked this time (after umpteen failures and attempts to fix)
this was on your N2? [btw - thx - my Dad is fine now ...has had multiple TIAs (Transient Ischemic Attack) even with blood thinners]
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by bagwell; 07-11-14 at 06:30 AM..
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 08:25 AM   #3437
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettJacks View Post
No, they don't subsidize the phone anymore. But you can do it on a 2 year, 0% payment plan if you don't want to drop $600 up front, and still competitive with other plans that don't subsidize the phone(but they pad that on your plan cost). The win for T-mo is that after your phone is paid for, you stop paying for it. With the others, you'll keep paying for that phone for eternity.
AT&T is this way also, on the Mobile Share plans. The service cost per phone is $40/mo if you're under contract, but they give you a $25 discount if you own the device. So, for example, if you want a new phone that's $650 (pretty typical), you have 3 choices:

Contract: $199 up front, plus $40/mo service for 24 months. Total device + service cost for 2 years: $1159
Next 12: $0 up front, plus $32.50/mo installment fee for 20 mos, plus $15/mo service fee (total $47.50/mo for the first 20 mos, $15 thereafter). Total device + service cost for 2 years: $950
Next 18: $0 up front, plus $27/mo installment fee for 24 mos, plus $15/mo service fee (total $42/mo for the full 24 mos, $15 thereafter). Total device + service cost for 2 years: $950

In all 3 cases, once the phone is "paid off"--whether by completing the contract, or making the last installment payment--the total monthly charge drops to $15. In addition to being cheaper both upfront and overall (though admittedly costing $2-7.50 more per month for a certain number of months), the latter two plans have the option of "starting over" with a new device at the 12 and 18 month marks, respectively.

While it's unlikely we'll take advantage of that last option, since it requires turning in the old phone (we'd rather finish paying the phone off and then sell it or pass it along), when I upgraded my wife to the s5, going the Next 12 route was an absolute no-brainer. We pay an extra $7.50/mo for a year and a half, to save $200 both up-front and long-term.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 07:28 PM   #3438
Rash
-75lbs
Trader Score: (1)

I sold my LG G3, battery is poor. Got myself a Galaxy S5.
Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 08:45 AM   #3439
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
this was on your N2?
yes,and now it's happening again with other app updates.

may have to just clean everything off and start over.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 05:59 PM   #3440
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

so did factory reset, cleaned off caches, and set it up again. i like a fresh minty start now and then even if it means adding back some apps later that i use infrequently.

so far, phone is working awesome again (4.4.4 cm11 nightlies).
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 07-13-14, 09:05 PM   #3441
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

My brothers Birthday was on the 5th, he loves wearing watches, has two of em. He got the Galaxy S5 a few months ago, and I decided to get him a smartwatch. Didn't go with the Samsung cause the quality doesn't look as good as how the LG G watch does.

I got him the White Gold version, and I hope he loves it. Yeah, that's right, he doesn't even have it yet. Lives in San Diego and I'm near Los Angeles. Waiting for him to come visit so I can give it to him personally.

I on the other hand, I'm waiting for the Moto 360. I was really hoping they'd announce the date during Google I/O a few weeks back, but nope. I think it's confirmed that the price will be $249. I wonder how much extra it will be for a metallic strap.

I'm trying to sell my '13 N7 32GB LTE, as well as my N5 32GB. I'm thinking a reasonable price would be $210 and $250, respectively. You guys think I might be lowballing it or asking too much?
Fear of the Unknown...They are afraid of New Ideas...They're loaded with Prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately; because it is Frightening to Me. What they do instead, is just Stay with the Familiar. You know, to me, The Most Beautiful things in all the Universe, are The Most Mysterious.
SaintNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 12:00 AM   #3442
don
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)

don.trinh donsjsu

Verizon Wireless to slow down users with unlimited 4G LTE plans

Quote:
"Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device,"

People who use 4.7GB or more per month fall in the top five percent and will thus see slower connections when using their devices in congested areas.
Heaven forbid I use my phone the way it was intended to do and advertised to do.

2010 SFP Lexus IS350
F-Sport, GFX, JP Vizage, Forgestar

TLN# null
don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 07:09 AM   #3443
armanitran
Lead Lap

armanitranung armanitran

What's going on guys?

[moderator edit] I want to get into Android and I'm long overdue for an update, can anyone direct me to the latest model that will swoon all the ladies?
1989 Ferrari 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet
1998 GS400
2004 Yamaha R6
TLN #17

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-28-14 at 07:57 AM..
armanitran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 07:57 AM   #3444
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

few...

galaxy s5
lg g3
note 3 (note 4 coming soon though)
htc m8
moto x (bargain)
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 07-28-14, 08:09 AM   #3445
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

Heaven forbid I use my phone the way it was intended to do and advertised to do.
Verizon isn't noted for its stellar treatment of customers. This was long expected. My family ditched them for a reason.

I'm really looking hard into switching to T-Mobile. I'm fed up with Straight Talk's customer service and the way they randomly throttle your data regardless of how much you've used(or cut it off entirely). Plus, AT&T coverage isn't that great here in Lost Wages. T-mo's unlimited music streaming will be nice for the drive to-from work. I'll probably flash the LTE modem on my Nexus 4 as well.

RUMOR:

Motorola is reportedly working with Google on the next Nexus phone, a 5.9" phablet with fingerprint scanning.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07...a-5-9-display/
BrettJacks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:09 AM   #3446
armanitran
Lead Lap

armanitranung armanitran

Quote:
few...

galaxy s5
lg g3
note 3 (note 4 coming soon though)
htc m8
moto x (bargain)
I think i might wait for the Note 4 September is the anticipated release date?
1998 GS400
2004 Yamaha R6
TLN #17
Old 07-28-14, 09:03 AM   #3447
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

you've previously stated you want to stream stuff all day long on your phone over cell service. that is certainly not what the phone companies intend. for years now they've been trying to get rid of unlimited data plans, and i believe they should, or charge a bundle for them. why should you be able to hog bandwidth? this is no different than 'fair use' policies that ALL isp's and other data providers have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettJacks View Post
Verizon isn't noted for its stellar treatment of customers. This was long expected. My family ditched them for a reason.

I'm really looking hard into switching to T-Mobile. I'm fed up with Straight Talk's customer service and the way they randomly throttle your data regardless of how much you've used(or cut it off entirely).
so verizon doesn't have 'stellar' treatment, and straight talk doesn't have stellar treatment either. newsflash, none of them can afford to bend over backwards for your few dollars a month! another newsflash, straight talk doesn't have a network.
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 07-28-14, 09:03 AM   #3448
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanitran View Post
I think i might wait for the Note 4 September is the anticipated release date?
no idea, but i figured it was closer to the end of the year.
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
Old 07-28-14, 09:20 AM   #3449
armanitran
Lead Lap

armanitranung armanitran

Quote:
no idea, but i figured it was closer to the end of the year.
Sounds good. If I am a little impatient, is the Note 3 and S5 basically the same phone (aside from camera MP and size of screen?)
1998 GS400
2004 Yamaha R6
TLN #17
Old 07-28-14, 09:29 AM   #3450
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

Quote:
so verizon doesn't have 'stellar' treatment, and straight talk doesn't have stellar treatment either. newsflash, none of them can afford to bend over backwards for your few dollars a month! another newsflash, straight talk doesn't have a network.
I know ST doesn't have a network, but they are empowered by AT&T, as well as the other networks they piggy-back on, to throttle users as they see fit.

I understand that ST has a bottom-line to worry about, but when they advertise 3 GB of high speed data, they should deliver on it. When their MMS goes down, I shouldn't have to spend 3 hours on the phone listening to some imbecile who can't even communicate in English as he feeds me scripted BS and then tells me he's solved the problem and closed the issue, when in reality he's done nothing.

I won't even go into the way a VZW rep insulted and accosted my mother when she called in to try and activate a new line.
BrettJacks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:29 AM

Tags
2006, 3d, 4g, android, app, book, card, client, clients, club, control, deck, default, divx, droid, es, evo, file, forum, galaxy, gs, hdmi, head, htc, i250, ii, inspire, iphone, lexus, music, mytouch, nexus, phone, pioneer, play, plug, prime, radio, samsung, store, super, sync, syncing, transfer, ubuntu, unit, unplayable, usb, webclient, xvid