Setting up a home recording studio

Old 04-05-10, 09:42 AM   #1
tofu_house
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)

Send a message via AIM to tofu_house
Default Setting up a home recording studio

what's up CL,

my friends and i are interested in setting up a home recording studio.

i was just wondering how many CL members are musicians and have knowledge about the hardware and software needed to set up a decent home recording studio.

what kind of programs do you guys use? what kind of mics? etc.

i'm looking into protools 8 LE as the recording platform but there seems to be some hardware that are required in order to run it and we're not sure if we should spend $200+ on an mbox just to make the program work. i'm sure there are other decent programs out on the market (garageband on macs for example).

do we need to get a basic mixer to generate decent sound in our recordings?

any input would be helpful.

thanks guys!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 04-05-10, 11:31 AM   #2
whoster
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

JoeBE4RD JYoonJr be4rdless
Send a message via AIM to whoster Send a message via MSN to whoster

you might want to head over to prosoundweb.com

I am pretty interested in hardware and whatnots, but have very little grasp on the software side of stuff.

Pro Tools is the de-facto recording software, so it is a very powerful and well-versed program. I'm not smart enough to use it so I use Adobe Audition...

Investing in a small mixer would be a very good step to take. Allen & Heath actually makes a line of mixers called the Zed series which has a USB output so you could plug that into a computer and manage the music that way. LINK HERE

Microphones are very interesting because I'm more of a live guy, and microphones used for recording are rather different compared to microphones used live...and usually cost more since recording microphones are designed to replicate what is heard as close as possible (live mics have a different set of standards).

May she live forever.
VPTLN821
twitter
whoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 12:39 PM   #3
djyoshi626
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Pro Tools is "industry standard" but don't let that fool you in terms of it being the best of the best. The learning curve on it is a tad bit steeper than say Logic or Ableton Live. And yes, Pro Tools requires a specific set of hardware in order to run it:

Pro Tools LE requires either the MBox 2/Mini(USB) MBox2 Pro (FW400) and the Digi 003 line which is FW400 based.

Pro Tools M-Powered allows you to use any of M-Audio's interfaces BUT you have to purchase M-Powered separately whereas Pro Tools LE comes with the above hardware mentioned, an additional $250 depending on where you get it.

And in terms of getting a mixer, it all depends on how many inputs you need to use at a time. If you are recording a full band, than you should get a mixer. If you're doing mostly virtual instruments or midi based productions, than a mixer isn't really necessary as you can do everything "in the box" which is through a DAW/computer.

Live microphones and studio microphones are different because studio mics are much more sensitive than live or stage mics and most studio mics require an additional jump in power to run it, a.k.a phantom power whereas most stage mics are plug n play (condenser and dynamic mics respectively)

What is it you're looking to do with your recording studio?

I'm running Pro Tools 8 M-Powered on a M-Audio Profire 610. I also use Ableton Live 8.

Check out www.gearsl-u-tz.com as well. (didn't let me put it in haha take out the dashes)

Last edited by djyoshi626; 04-05-10 at 12:43 PM..
djyoshi626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 12:39 PM

Tags
003, 610, adobe, audio, audition, chicago, digi, great, home, lakes, profire, recordings, setting, studio, work