Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Windows 7

Old 08-30-09, 01:29 AM   #31
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Och

The only reason I use Vista is because I have 8gb ram and Im running 64 bit. Also Vista seems to run .NET apps much much much faster than XP.

As far as interface I use classic interface anyway (win98 style). But one thing that I really hate in vista is the new windows explorer. I wish I could have the old one back.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 04:53 AM   #32
geko29
Oil Burner
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. haison View Post
I got my copy of Windows 7 Professional (x86 and x64) from MSDNAA. Was wondering how many other fellow CL members are running the retail version of the OS before the official release in October.
Yup, been running Enterprise Edition for about 2 weeks now (volume license customer). Very pleased. We're switching the entire company over in 2Q next year.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 01:13 PM   #33
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini9 View Post
for me, im the same.. not much of a prepay buyer.. more of a downloader.

unless something is really really worth the money and isnt too expensive, i would buy it. otherwise, the internet is my best friend.
we (CL) don't condone or tolerate discussion of software or other intellectual property piracy. it's wrong. it's theft. please don't discuss it further.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 01:42 PM   #34
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Och

The one thing that pisses me off is that you have apple selling their brand new OS for $29.00, why the heck is Microsoft charging an obscene amount of money for their OS? And Apple offers only one version, with all features, all for $29.00, while MS is selling a bunch of crippled versions and the ultimate version for like $400.00. Considering that they selling millions if not billions of copies, they should bring these prices down a bit.

Not to mention that you dont have to deal with any of the activation crap on Mac OS, and technically you could isntall Mac OS on all your mac computers, whereas Windows requires a separate serial number for each one.

Last edited by Och; 08-30-09 at 05:57 PM..
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 05:51 PM   #35
mr. haison
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to mr. haison Send a message via MSN to mr. haison

It's not very different from Vista to me. I would say it is a lite version of vista. Off the bat I notice that the startup and shut downs are a lot faster. It also doesn't take up as many resources either. I think Vista took up 2GB once everything is settled and 7 is at about 1.5GB. It feels very snappier like the jump from iPhone 3G to 3GS. Pinning programs to the taskbar is very welcome but can be changed back to the old way.

The Windows Experience Index has benn raised to 7.9 from 5.9. My 150GB Velociraptors is the bottle neck at 5.9 and that seems to be the fastest for platter HDD. I have only one problem with drivers and that was with my Logitech keyboard and mouse. Logitech hasn't released drivers for Windows 7 yet but all my other drivers are using the Vista drivers or Windows 7 drivers.

I haven't noticed much of a change from Vista on my desktop but XP to 7 on my laptop is a great update and to be able to use Aero on my laptop and as fast as XP is very welcomed. I also have a TV tuner on my laptop and Windows Media Center is great. They added a guide button to the normal controls so the channels just pop up while you are watching tv still instead of scrolling back and minimizing the show you are watching. They also added internet shows to Media Center to stream shows that are up but it has lots of commericals about the shows.

All in all, I am pleased from the Vista to 7 upgrade and really happy about the XP to 7. XP to 7 is not upgradable and do not use Windows Easy Transfer. Just save all the stuff you want before installing Windows 7. It made the process a lot longer than need be (took about 45 minutes to save 20GB) and saved my files to Windows.old folder. I couldn't salvage any of the programs or settings and just transferred my documents and pictures over.
Old 08-30-09, 07:23 PM   #36
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

I cannot lie I am really liking Vista now...just took some time to get used to it...
Old 08-31-09, 05:39 AM   #37
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
The one thing that pisses me off is that you have apple selling their brand new OS for $29.00, why the heck is Microsoft charging an obscene amount of money for their OS? And Apple offers only one version, with all features, all for $29.00, while MS is selling a bunch of crippled versions and the ultimate version for like $400.00. Considering that they selling millions if not billions of copies, they should bring these prices down a bit.
If you're just looking to rant, I can't help you. But if you want an honest answer, here goes:

1) Apple's primary moneymaker is their hardware. They could give the OS away (and sometimes do), provided it helps them sell more high-margin equipment. Microsoft has to make its money off of software.

2) What Apple calls a new OS, Microsoft calls a service pack. If in 2001, you had bought one Mac and one PC, and upgraded every time something new was available, by the end of this year you would have paid:
Windows: XP SP1 (free) + XP SP2 (free) + XP SP3 (free) + Vista Ultimate Upgrade ($199) + Vista SP1 (free) + Vista SP2 (free) + Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade ($199) = $398
OS X: 10.1 (free) + 10.2 ($129) + 10.3 ($129) + 10.4 ($129) + 10.5 ($129) + 10.6 ($29) = $545

If you skipped every other boxed release (as 80% of Windows and many Mac users did), then the costs are $199 for Windows or $427 for OS X. Still think it's a lot cheaper?

Note: yes, I know the Mac you bought in 2001 won't run Snow Leopard. But $29 is a fairer figure to use for comparison than $1199.

Quote:
Not to mention that you dont have to deal with any of the activation crap on Mac OS, and technically you could isntall Mac OS on all your mac computers, whereas Windows requires a separate serial number for each one.
Technically, you could. But it'd still be stealing. You can steal Windows too. It's wrong in either case, even if one vendor makes it easier than the other. Which leads me back to my initial point. Nearly every copy of OSX that is used, legally or not, is a benefit for Apple, because 99% of the time, it's running on Apple hardware and promotes the future sale of Apple hardware. Whereas every illegal copy of Windows is simply lost revenue for Microsoft, with no guarantee of future revenue as a result. So therefore Microsoft HAS to work hard to prevent piracy, whereas Apple can choose not to.

Old 08-31-09, 06:38 AM   #38
DRivera250
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (6)

drivera1210

Quote:

Microsoft had a promotion if you pre-ordered. I picked up the home premium for $49. I could of picked up Pro for another $50 bucks, but it wasn't worth it to me.
| 2007 IS250 RWD | OBSIDIAN BLACK | BLACK INTERIOR | 18 OEM STOCK RIMS | RED OUTS | 6.5K HIDS | LED CITY LIGHTS | OEM SPOILER | GFX FRONT LIP SPOILER | 30% TINT FORMULA ONE | ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS |YELLOW FOG | F-SPORT KNOB |

TLN #09 TWITTER: GALLOPINGSALMON
DRivera250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 07:12 AM   #39
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Boy, it's been a while since I upgraded and the performance of my XP box shows it, taking as much as three minutes to boot up with all of the accumulated patches. Replacing two XP computers with Vista with free upgrades to W7 when released.

My editor still runs W2000 Server and has been rock steady. Looking at my junkpile I still have a Win2000RC and a Win NT box waiting for the incinerator. NT may have been a rather large technological leap, but mine was a frustrating crash-o-matic. I thought the BSOD was my screen saver.
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 07:21 AM   #40
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:

cause that new Mac OS is not really brand new
there arent enough changes for Mac to charge its ordinary amount

it is more like a service pack/small upgrade

01 GS300 Stock Navigation + back-up camera tapped into NAV brain
10" ADS Subwoofer (sealed setup) + Alpine 250W Amp (old alpine)
Odometer: 88,120 miles
UberNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 01:04 PM   #41
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

My work has an MSFT license so I tried Windows 7 Enterprise RTM. I absolutely hated it. Almost none of my hardware at home worked with it, most notably my video card (Geforce 7900GT). Without proper support for nTune, I was unable to overclock it and my screen constantly scrambled. Within a day, I was back to Vista Business (which I'm really starting to like).

----------------------
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response did you come close to anything that could even be considered a rational thought.
Jeembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 01:11 PM   #42
geko29
Oil Burner

Unfortunately Jeembo, it seems there's a firmware issue with your card (which it appears you know about due to the overclocking comment). If nTune doesn't work, try RivaTuner. Overclock it by a few Mhz (4Mhz should do it) and you should be good.

You may also be able to get a new firmware from the manufacturer, which will essentially invoke this workaround by permanently overclocking your card just slightly. But be clear, it's not a Windows 7 issue, it's a 7900 GPU issue.

Old 08-31-09, 01:29 PM   #43
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Unfortunately Jeembo, it seems there's a firmware issue with your card (which it appears you know about due to the overclocking comment). If nTune doesn't work, try RivaTuner. Overclock it by a few Mhz (4Mhz should do it) and you should be good.

You may also be able to get a new firmware from the manufacturer, which will essentially invoke this workaround by permanently overclocking your card just slightly. But be clear, it's not a Windows 7 issue, it's a 7900 GPU issue.
Yeah.. I'm aware it's an issue with my card, but it's still disappointing and a big reason I'm not on Windows 7. I don't think nVidia's released a firmware update to correct the issue, but luckily nTune allows you to publish a rule telling the GPU to overclock slightly upon booting windows. I haven't tried RivaTuner at all, but it's not worth reinstalling 7 for.

Beyond that, I was having MAJOR network issues with Windows 7. Every time I tried doing something that used any decent amount of bandwidth (youtube, for example), my network would simply cut off. I could right-click the network icon in the system tray and click the troubleshoot issues or whatever to fix it, but boy what a PITA that was.

I was also not a fan of the new start bar, but that's personal preference and not necessarily a fault with 7. Beyond those issues, I didn't notice much (if any) difference from Vista.

----------------------
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response did you come close to anything that could even be considered a rational thought.
Jeembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 02:01 PM   #44
NYlexus
Lead Lap

I manage an IT department for a big organization and we never upgraded to Vista for a lot of reasons mentioned above plus:

"if aint broke dont fix it"

All our apps run fine on XP/2003 Server that's why never had the need to spend valuable company money on upgrading not only our Software but, thanks to Vista's beefy requirements, the hardware also for 100's of computers. Yes that also includes licensing fees.

I have worked with few Window 7 copies and frankly was not blown away or anything. It seems just like Vista but a little better. We may further eval it in the IT environment here but absolutely have no intention of upgrading our system to Windows 7. This may change if the CFO thinks that the need is there for advancement of technology but i doubt it.

I'll probably tinker with it on my personal laptop as I use Vista now.

2013 BMW 535i with M SPORT - Fun Car
2011 Mercedes Benz GL450 - Wifeys
2007 Toyota Camry SE-Daily Driver

SOLD
1999 Lexus GS300
2006 GS300-ML/NAV, ALESSIO F1 WHEELS
NYlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 08:16 PM   #45
mr. haison
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to mr. haison Send a message via MSN to mr. haison

Just a heads up to other members that do a clean install, Adobe Photoshop CS3 might freeze up on initial startup. It requires a License Repair Tool found here: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html
Old 08-31-09, 08:16 PM

Tags
7, background, change, cllubhaisoncom, gc86, lexis, lexus, lexuscomwindows, rainmeter, theme, weatehr, win98, windows