Old 03-27-02, 05:37 AM   #16
jahummer
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally posted by manaray
we need a Lexus only TUNER...
Yes we do, please hear us oh Lexus Gods
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
jahummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-02, 12:28 PM   #17
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

That new SL is going to blow everything outa the water, looks and performance.
CSHFLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-02, 02:11 AM   #18
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I would LOVE to start a Lexus-only Tuner company. I know the right people, but I need SERIOUS capital to start such a business. If you know anyone who is willing to be an "investor", my door is wide open...
Old 03-29-02, 02:18 AM   #19
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Actually, most of the German companies (Braubs, Carlsson, and Lorinser) are all TRUE TUNERS....we need a Lexus only TUNER...

what about, Toms, TRD, and the rest of them there real Lexus/Toyota tuners, now if toyota of america would get of there ***'s and bring them here to the states that would be real nice
biggie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-02, 02:47 AM   #20
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I don't consider TOM'S, TRD, TTE a TRUE tuner for us (meaning the USA market) because they don't make "real" engine mods for the US models...

To me, a TRUE tuner can turn out a fully TUNED (meaning suspension, engine, etc.) car like Brabus, Hamann, Carlsson, Hartge, etc., etc...they do it for the German models and the US models...that's a TUNER!

Unfortunately, most Japanese tuners have a rather "snobbish" attitude to the US market. They don't understand the US market and they don't care to understand (or they think we should adopt "their" attitude). They figure that they make enough money as it is with their own market so "screw" the US market...

That's why I think we need a US based tuner. Someone that makes everything that TRD makes, everything that TOM'S makes, etc., etc...if they don't want our money, someone else does.

Could you imagine if TOM'S just said "OK, let's do it!" and gave the US 100% support bringing out "FULLY TUNED" TOM'S GS's, LS's, SC's, and IS's?

Imagine a SUPERCHARGED and BUILT V8 IS430 (like the TTE, but actually available here)...would make the M3 and AMG C32 look kinda silly.

How about the same for a GS? A 450HP GS? A 5.0 Liter 500HP LS500?

Sure, they'd be high ticket items and they'd only sell a few, but think about the BIGGER PICTURE...What image does Mercedes have with AMG? They're expensive as hell, they only a few, but they use that "mindset" to sell their "standard" models...just like M for BMW...not everyone can afford a M3 or a M5, but the 325 and 525 buyers think their cars are "performance" cars like the M's w/o the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times... (if that makes sense)

It's unfortunate that Toyota/Lexus is SUCH a conservative company...their "efforts" with L-Tuned are just PATHETIC and let's face it, compared to the AMG and M, it's rather **EMBARASSING** (I could never "proudly" drive a L-tuned car...I can't even call it "tuning"...). Is it any wonder our cars are labeled as "RICE" by the German crowd...the L-tuned IS300 is NOTHING but a body kit, wheels, and lowering...compared to a AMG C32 or a M3, it is RICE (it just "looks fast" and really isn't). Is it any wonder that more people respect Mercedes and BMW? Reliability, Dealer "niceness", and Corporate care only go so far...it's obvious as Mercedes and BMW have NO PROBLEMS selling their overpriced, under featured cars with *****ty dealer attitude, *****ty reliability, *****ty interiors, and *****ty corporate attitude...

How often do you see BMW and Mercedes dealers give you one of their cars for $1000 over dealer invoice? Anyone price a Sportcross lately?

Eh...ok, I'm venting...I just think Lexus has something right at the tip of their fingers and they're just pissing it away...it's not like they'd go out of business if they made a M/AMG fighter and it never took off...take a risk...they did with the 2nd generation GS and it doesn't look like they did too bad!

It's time for Lexus to understand that they can not only have a "luxury" image, but they can have a "performance" image. Mercedes and BMW have PROVEN this. But it's not just Lexus, I think most Japanese auto companies do half-hearted attempts in the USA (except for some of the Acuras and the Nissan Sentra SE-R V-spec which are pretty good attempts)...it's like we're just their bastard child...imagine if they didn't have the US market...they wouldn't be where they are today.

Maybe I'm just a nut case?
Old 03-29-02, 04:13 AM   #21
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

Quote:
Unfortunately, most Japanese tuners have a rather "snobbish" attitude to the US market. They don't understand the US market and they don't care to understand (or they think we should adopt "their" attitude). They figure that they make enough money as it is with their own market so "screw" the US market...
its just like American car in Japan... US auto maker and tuner never really care about makert outside of US...they don't offer much.... replacement parts are hard to find (i went to a FORD dealer in LOS ANGELES looking for replacment part and they told me they DON"T sell what I look for!!! think about outside of US....) and from what i heard most American car owners in Japan can't find the right parts so they put some ***** parts in their car, and it never work right..also not a lot of US tuner in their either.. and American car in Japan is NOT cheap..they cost way more than than here..so compare GM/Ford to Lexus/Toyota i guess its not that bad...
Old 03-29-02, 11:39 AM   #22
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to lex400sc

I think they've looked it over and decided there's no market for a "performance Lexus" in the US. I'd say 98% of Lexus drivers never touch a thing on their cars. They live and die in stock form. Not even a wheel makeover. Before the IS300 came out, I'd say the number was 99.8%. Most people that buy Lexus just want "luxury reliablity" and nothing more. Same for Infiniti.

I think German cars naturally fit the image of a performance car because of the LeMans, Autobahn, and the fact that they don't detune their cars for government regulations like we do. BMW has made a name for it's 'sportiness', which is why they make so many fast cars today (M3, M5, Z3, Z8, etc) and why there is so much aftermarket support.

Lexus is still in it's infancy here. They've stormed the luxury market and established the name, put the cars of the road. But how long did it take Mercedes to put the AMG name out?
lex400sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-02, 02:32 PM   #23
Richie
Evil Hook

Here in Holland most Lexus' that are sold are company cars, so they won't allow them to be modded.
In a few years when all the cars are sold to younger people I think there might be a market for some performance parts for the IS and the GS.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-02, 08:52 PM   #24
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The difference between our market and everyone elses is that the USA market is the LARGEST. Hell, Los Angeles ALONE has a HUGE market.

Sure, 99% of the Lexus buyers aren't "performance" people, but can anyone prove that if Lexus did come out with a "performance" model, no one would buy it?

I'm not saying kill the GS300 and only make a HO GS500 only or something, I'm saying make a limited edition of a few hundred GS500's with serious HP (a M fighter basically) and handling and I'm pretty sure they'd sell every single one. It's more about marketing that making money. Win the race on Sunday, sell the car on Monday.

Lexus doesn't have a huge performance market because they don't offer a TRUE performance car. "Build it and they will come."

Lexus tries to push the IS and GS as "performance" sedans, but it's such a half-@ssed effort...look at some of the past ads/commercials (even current ones)...they want people to look at Lexus as a performance car also, not just a luxury car...

They nailed Luxury (for the most part), they just need some serious help in the performance side...
Old 03-29-02, 09:54 PM   #25
jahummer
Pole Position

I agree. My dealer had a GS-430 souped up edition for $12K above sticker and it sold quickly. I don't recall all of the changes.
jahummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-02, 10:47 AM   #26
Richie
Evil Hook

Quote:
Originally posted by manaray
The difference between our market and everyone elses is that the USA market is the LARGEST. Hell, Los Angeles ALONE has a HUGE market.

Sure, 99% of the Lexus buyers aren't "performance" people, but can anyone prove that if Lexus did come out with a "performance" model, no one would buy it?

I'm not saying kill the GS300 and only make a HO GS500 only or something, I'm saying make a limited edition of a few hundred GS500's with serious HP (a M fighter basically) and handling and I'm pretty sure they'd sell every single one. It's more about marketing that making money. Win the race on Sunday, sell the car on Monday.

Lexus doesn't have a huge performance market because they don't offer a TRUE performance car. "Build it and they will come."

Lexus tries to push the IS and GS as "performance" sedans, but it's such a half-@ssed effort...look at some of the past ads/commercials (even current ones)...they want people to look at Lexus as a performance car also, not just a luxury car...

They nailed Luxury (for the most part), they just need some serious help in the performance side...
Manaray, what you are saying makes sense. I hope Lexus is reading this.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-02, 10:47 AM

Tags
brabus, lexus, ls400