Is battery corrosion dangerous to touch? - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Is battery corrosion dangerous to touch?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-08, 04:28 PM   #1
RXSF
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
RXSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,851
Default Is battery corrosion dangerous to touch?

I just opened up the panel on one of my home phones and it turns out the 4 AA batteries that it uses (for caller ID functionality) has corroded leaving these white crystals and are leaking out for all parts of the phone. Do i need to wear gloves to take care of the mess. i assume its toxic but is it dangerous to touch?

why do batteries do this anyways? you'd think technology is advanced enough so that this does happen. its a real pain.

(note: these batteries have been in the phone for a good number of years, which im guessing is why this happened)
RXSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 05:13 PM   #2
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
iTrader: (4)
 
Jewcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 8,438
Default

Interesting that you mention that. When I was a kid I took 3 batteries, one was almost dead and the other two were full. I put their ends together to form a pyramid shape. Well I heard a loud pop and noticed that one of them started to leak. Don't remember how I cleaned the mess up, but as you can see I'm still typing here.
Jewcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 05:27 PM   #3
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic
 
Brian231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Candyland
Posts: 6,104
Default

Never get this acid in your eyes. it is easy to do if you do not wash your hands and accidently rub your face. This acid turns into a powder as it hits oxygen. Make sure to clean out the housing with rubbing alcohol and pitch the batteries.
Brian231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 06:10 PM   #4
RXSF
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
RXSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,851
Default

...its illegal to throw them away now too. so its not as simple as just tossing them in my home garbage can. i have to bag them up seperately and bring them to a local collection area o.0
RXSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 09:51 PM   #5
Little E
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
Little E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: *661* CA
Posts: 2,496
Default

In my old Honda, my car battery had corrosion. I touched it while cleaning it off, and I all my fingers are still functional today. Just don't touch your eyes, nose, mouth, door *****.....don't touch anything!
Little E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 10:00 PM   #6
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NV
Posts: 4,580
Default

Should still avoid skin contact... there's a reason they call it acid. That stuff can really irritate skin, even cause burns.
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 10:10 PM   #7
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
iTrader: (17)
 
O. L. T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: My little world
Posts: 33,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXSF View Post
...its illegal to throw them away now too. so its not as simple as just tossing them in my home garbage can. i have to bag them up seperately and bring them to a local collection area o.0
LOL @ California.
O. L. T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 10:53 PM   #8
RA40
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
RA40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 17,147
Default

Interesting you bring this up. I use Battery Tender to maintain the charge on the battery in the Celica. I usually plug it in at 1 week intervals to insure the battery. Well, I leave the clips attached so that I don't have to go opening the hood up each time. This past time, I let it sit for 3 weeks and yesterday, it didn't give the indicating charge lights.

I opened the hood and the corrosion had completely eaten the positive side clamp away...all that was left was a pile of white-gray shavings. I didn't take a picture but it gave me the chills.

Neutralize the area with baking soda and wear a chemical resistant glove and safety eyewear. If you happen to get any of the powder on your skin, flush with water and mild soap immediately. As above, don't let it touch any mucous membranes: eyes, mouth...

I've had chemical burns in the past and I don't take risks handling or being in close proximity.
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 12:27 AM   #9
yusef
Lexus Champion
 
yusef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upland CA (Inland Empire)
Posts: 2,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXSF View Post
...its illegal to throw them away now too. so its not as simple as just tossing them in my home garbage can. i have to bag them up seperately and bring them to a local collection area o.0
lol it is!? i always throw them in the trash, i didnt know that. how would they find out anyway?
yusef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 02:02 AM   #10
sleeper408
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 6,173
Default

Just don't go drain the lizard after you touch them!
sleeper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 05:56 AM   #11
cpone
There can only be One
 
cpone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 6,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewcano View Post
Interesting that you mention that. When I was a kid I took 3 batteries, one was almost dead and the other two were full. I put their ends together to form a pyramid shape. Well I heard a loud pop and noticed that one of them started to leak. Don't remember how I cleaned the mess up, but as you can see I'm still typing here.
This explains A LOT!

cpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 09:18 AM   #12
RXSF
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
RXSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,851
Default

Quote:
lol it is!? i always throw them in the trash, i didnt know that. how would they find out anyway?
lol well its kind of like a trust thing. plus its not too hard. bag them up and you'd be surprised how little batteries you use. then you bring them to Ikea. lol

Quote:
Just don't go drain the lizard after you touch them!
LOL
RXSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 10:36 AM   #13
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Pearlpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 7,076
Default

You finger will not fall off if if that is what your asking.

Remove batteries wearing gloves. Clean up the mess with a solution of baking soda and water with a toothbrush.

All is good.
Pearlpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 04:26 PM   #14
benxd
Lead Lap
iTrader: (7)
 
benxd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Home of the Lakers
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. L. T. View Post
LOL @ California.
More like LOL @ you for being ignorant.

Thanks.
benxd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Near Miss: Walking While Distracted Lil4X The Clubhouse 6 08-11-15 07:24 PM
Inductive battery charger for SC -- no more dead batteries! JohnnyCake SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) 5 04-04-15 05:56 AM
Do Lexus dealers replace your remote battery for free boostinsc SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) 7 06-01-12 11:10 PM
Battery drain? Bad alternator? 96 LS4 SRV1 LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 4 12-31-10 09:29 PM
Why are "Wheel Spacers" Dangerous? VINHsanity The Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum 21 12-24-07 10:45 PM


Tags
batteries, battery, corroded, corrosion, corrossion, crystals, dangerous, finger, is250, lexus, poisonous, sale, skin, toxic, white

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved