Register Forgot Password?

I hate computers today....

Old 03-17-08, 02:40 PM   #1
NAZTY97
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to NAZTY97
Default I hate computers today....

ok... as ya'll know i dj, and use Serato ( PC based software where you save your wave / mp3's on hard drive and mix with turntables or cd's )...

WELLLLLL.... i went to save some more records onto my hard drive.... I get the bogues " delayed write failure error "...for the drive in which my dj setup is tied to... so, i reboot drive, and it keeps giving this error, to eventually dying a dismal death. Thank God I backed up songs to other external hard drives,.. .but the one small file most important, which contains my record crate information is on the crapped out drive, which means I would have to resort hundreds of songs all over agian manually....

( ok... my head is hurtin' thinkin' about this )

I has a WD My Book II - 1TB....

I'm sooooo done with western digital... just picked up two Seagate Free Agent 500GB drives... any one familiar or got insight / perspective on this move...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
NAZTY97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 03:28 PM   #2
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch
Trader Score: (17)

Not to dump more bad news, but Seagate's can crash too. As do Maxtor's, Hitachi's, and Fujitsu's...It really doesnt matter what company it is...They are all made the same way, most of the time the armatures and spindle motors are the same.

Good thing about Seagate...If the drive fails while under warranty, they will replace it without question. They are also able to pull and re-write data in some cases. (You have to pay for that though)

Always back ups or make mirrors of drives...I do back ups every week and make a drive image once or twice a month.

Music, Photos, Videos saved to external drive, and DVD's
Music not a huge deal to me...pictures are. Music you can find again. Pictures...since the world no longer uses negatives...can not be replaced.

neurocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 03:29 PM   #3
ElitistK
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (4)

except that WD fails more often than other companies. I always buy Seagate.
Old 03-17-08, 03:59 PM   #4
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElitistK View Post
except that WD fails more often than other companies. I always buy Seagate.
Really.....how are you basing this information?

Old 03-17-08, 04:07 PM   #5
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Woke up a week ago Saturday morning to the sounds of my computer's hard drive squalling loud enough to be heard two rooms away . . . yikes! I back up all personal and company data twice a week to my laptop, but I needed to copy the entire C drive to DVD-ROM.

OK, that done, I started to copy the office files from the NAS drive . . . 2 more DVD's . . . .

Wife asks if I would back up her music she migrated to the NAS drive over the Holidays. I shoulda known better - I reckoned without the size of her collection. 24 hours and 13 DVD-ROM's later, I started packing everything for transport to the bank. By next week I will have backups of all products on DVD, and add these to the collection in the safe deposit box. That's when the drive stopped howling, and that dry bearing hasn't let out a squawk since. I think I scared it.

I learned a good lesson - I realized backups are useless if stored with your primary files. If the house catches fire, or a tornado plows through, I would experience TOTAL data loss. Best to get it offsite - even leave it with a friend, but DON'T put it in the drawer next to your computer. Online storage may work for some, but JK lost all her e-bay photos when her online photo "service" was sold and erased. Three years of work pfffft!

If I even offered to store her files online, she'd croak me. Remember, I still have to eat her cooking . . .
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 05:43 PM   #6
NAZTY97
Lexus Champion

between my studio pc, business pc, studio, laptop pc,... i have 4 external hard drives ( 2 500GB, 2 160GB ), plus whatever the respective internals are.

Music wise, I own the cd's / records that are now being converted,... my biggest rub is how much time it takes to convert / save per se'... an album... gotta play it in real time... edit, save... etc... and last count, I have at least 1500 records,... a couple thousand cd's, about a thousand minidisc, countless cassette tapes... so TIME is more a factor than loss of the originals... but I hear ya....

the convience of pc based dj'ing is less carrying around of equipment... downside is hardware failure or software failure vs inconvience.
Old 03-17-08, 06:19 PM   #7
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZTY97 View Post
... Thank God I backed up songs to other external hard drives,.. .but the one small file most important, which contains my record crate information is on the crapped out drive, which means I would have to resort hundreds of songs all over agian manually....
Why weren't you backing up that file too??

Quote:
I'm sooooo done with western digital... just picked up two Seagate Free Agent 500GB drives... any one familiar or got insight / perspective on this move...
I've had best success with Western Digital. I'm completely done with Maxtor and Seagate and Hitachi.

But regardless of brand, the biggest factor in drive failure is the USER. For example, if you're powering up and down the drive frequently, it will die MUCH quicker than if you're running it all the time. First thing I do on desktops is change the power settings so the drives NEVER stop. I then tell users to NOT turn off their PCs unless they use them VERY infrequently.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 06:23 PM   #8
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

RAID 1 takes the worry out of it for our biz systems.
RON430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 06:28 PM   #9
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON430 View Post
RAIDS are good....bit power sapping for me. Still your hoping the drives do not fail (hardware wise)

Old 03-17-08, 06:30 PM   #10
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON430 View Post
Hard drives are so damn cheap nowadays, there's no reason not to mirror them for important data. Then you're almost completely immune to mechanical failure.

However, backups are still important, because a mirror can't protect you from data corruption, accidental deletion, theft, or physical destruction (fire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurocity View Post
RAIDS are good....bit power sapping for me.
Really? 4-7.5 watts is a big deal to you? My mouse takes more than that.

Quote:
Still your hoping the drives do not fail (hardware wise)
As you are in any backup solution. You're hoping the external hdd you backup to does not fail, or that your DVD burner doesn't accidentally make coasters, etc...

Last edited by geko29; 03-17-08 at 06:36 PM..
geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 06:55 PM   #11
NAZTY97
Lexus Champion

the crates folder was hidden, ...so didn't ever really think about, and in a bigger more obvious way... backing up the songs was just draggin' and droppin' the folders.... but that crate folder slid under the radar...
Old 03-17-08, 06:57 PM   #12
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

Really? is a big deal to you? My mouse takes more than that.
Sure...I want to power and run 8 drives to hold the info of four. I like the noise, and the heat.

Its much easier to just back the info up, on multiple medias. I have a mirror drive of the laptop I'm using now...beyond that I have a image of this drive on my server, with all my REG edits and programs.

I'm blessed with having a bunch of Logicube (bit for bit) drive duplicators at work...back up my drive on a another...computer never knows the difference

Old 03-17-08, 07:14 PM   #13
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Sure...I want to power and run 8 drives to hold the info of four. I like the noise, and the heat.
Then use RAID5 instead. You only need 5 drives to hold the info of 4. Better yet, get 2 bigass drives that mirror the info of four.

As for noise/heat, not much of an issue for me personally. I selected the drives in my system based on quietness and coolness. The 4 drives together aren't as loud as the double ball-bearing 120mm fan in front of them that runs at 600rpm. Which is to say, dead silent. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Its much easier to just back the info up, on multiple medias. I have a mirror drive of the laptop I'm using now...beyond that I have a image of this drive on my server, with all my REG edits and programs.
I'll reluctantly accept more power efficient, but there's no way imaging a drive is easier than mirroring. One requires user intervention on a regular basis, the other does not.

Quote:
I'm blessed with having a bunch of Logicube (bit for bit) drive duplicators at work...back up my drive on a another...computer never knows the difference
So you do mirror, essentially, you just don't leave the drives online. Physically removing drives from a machine to duplicate them takes time (obviously). Personally, my time is worth a whole lot more than 4 watts of electricity. But again, different strokes for different folks.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 07:47 PM   #14
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch

Quote:
So you do mirror, essentially, you just don't leave the drives online. Physically removing drives from a machine to duplicate them takes time (obviously). Personally, my time is worth a whole lot more than 4 watts of electricity. But again, different strokes for different folks.
I dont lose my data...I do have drives fail, but I always have a backup.
Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi, and WD...all have failed on me.
RAID 1, 5, 0 they all work for what you need to do...

What Nimbus needs is something that is portable...and easy for him to reload his info.

Buy another drive...use Seagate powertools or some sort of backup software...and keep on it. When your system takes a dive...reload and go.

Old 03-17-08, 09:55 PM   #15
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

As much as I dislike Symantec software I recently bought Norton Save & Restore for someone and it's GREAT.

On my desktop here I have mirrored drives plus at 3a.m. a little free microsoft utility called synctoy synchronizes 'My Documents' with a folder on my server which also has mirrored drives. Once in a while I clone everything off the server onto an external drive and stick that in the safe.

I feel reasonably good about this setup.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 09:55 PM