Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Sunglasses Thread (Merged)

Old 11-30-06, 05:12 AM   #16
okiaristo
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

i have the juilets and the half jackets. i love the J's and wore them for 3 years thru 4 deployments and NEVER had any issues. until afghanistan this last time, the rubber between the eye pieces and the center suspension (the center X) tight gave up. not bad realy. i paid 270, wore then about 1095 days so... like 0.24 cents a day. not bad(they are rebuildable). i went with the halfs because they are Gov issue. the J's lenses were nice and dark. honestly too dark until i got used to it. oh and they feel heavy at first.... great choices
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

08 F150 Supercrew 2/5 drop, 23's and a lot of mods you guys wouldnt care about ...
okiaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 09:34 AM   #17
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Silhouette Titan - 8562
Frame: Black
Lens: Black
Click the image to open in full size.
EvgeshaIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 09:45 AM   #18
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to mikevanle

OK I just got the glasses last night.

I really wanted the carbon/black Juliets, but they didn't have it. So I settled for the Ducati edition. It's basically the same except with the red accents, which I kinda hate.

Also I got the orange Square Wires.

Made me wonder if I should have bought it from eBay. Final price for the 2 pairs and some extra ear pieces was around $545.

Old 11-30-06, 10:46 AM   #19
javyLSU
革新的な
Trader Score: (21)

javyLSU

Nice! I like both of them

Javier
Old 11-30-06, 11:15 AM   #20
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek * View Post
Oakley Half Jacket w/ XLJ Lenses.. i love em

me, too
gold iridium vr30 polarized lens w/ flat black frames
TRD Neo II/Sides/Spoiler

juniorsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 11:39 AM   #21
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

MarkKorsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevanle View Post
Made me wonder if I should have bought it from eBay. Final price for the 2 pairs and some extra ear pieces was around $545.

I don't trust E-Bay for items like these. There are sooooo many fraudulent glasses out there it's unreal. I stick to SunGlass Hut for my Oakley purchases.

sig created by GSoup

"I am a carton of Hate and he is a wedge of Spite."
TLN member #17 (and you don't want to know why)
MECP Certified Basic Installer
(Currently studying for the Advanced Exam!!! SHHHH!)
Custom Fabrication & Enclosure Design Instructor
mkorsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 12:35 PM   #22
tytgs300
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to tytgs300

them oakley do look old school and cheap as always
they don't go well with anything, but nascar clothing

you can get nice quality (made in italy) Giorgio Armany sunglasses, online or at premium outlets, for $50 or less
tytgs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 12:56 PM   #23
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I have some cheap sunglasses to wear when I'm involved in any activity where I have a good chance of losing them or getting them stolen.

However, my 'nice' pair is almost identical to the original poster's first picture - Fire Iridium Polarized Oakley Juliets, except the frame is polished.

As seen here:
http://mi.oakley.com/site/media/cach....png_0_0_0.jpg

I really don't recall exactly now but I believe I bought them about 4 years ago? I bought them barely used on ebay since the $340 retail price seemed (and still seems) ridiculous to me for something that is so easily lost or damaged.

My head is physically on the large size to where some glasses bow slightly outward on the sides when I put them on and they look stupid... (the typical fitted cap doesn't fit without me really having to try to get it on, and then it feels uncomfortable) so when I read this guy's auction and he said he had only worn them once and they were a gift without the gift receipt and he said they were too big for his head I figured they were probably just right for me. And they were.
They've gotten a few light scratches on them since because I don't baby them - I keep them in my shirt pocket, or in my center console... I lost that 'bag/cleaner' thing that came with them ages ago and just store them 'naked' and use the shirt I'm wearing to clean them when necessary.
They've held up amazingly well over time and I'm absolutely shocked that I have yet to lose them. I probably do a better job of keeping up with them because even 'used' I paid too much for them.
2006 A4 - 2.0t, 100% stock. Gone, Best time: 15.1@93 mph
2007 335i Sedan - 3.0tt, stock. Gone, and I never ran the 1/4.
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 12:56 PM   #24
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytgs300 View Post

you can get nice quality (made in italy) Giorgio Armany sunglasses, online or at premium outlets, for $50 or less
thank you, i didnt want to hurt anyones feelings
EvgeshaIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 01:44 PM   #25
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgeshaIS300 View Post
Well that's fine because it's your opinion.

My opinion, for example, is that Armani glasses tend to look gaudy, overstated, plasticky, and like they'd have been fashionable moreso in the 80s than today. Oakley is famous for having as much technology, practical engineering, and durable/protective materials as can be fit into something as basic as some sunglasses.

Armani glasses are famous for having Armani's name on them which automatically makes everything 5 times more expensive than it would be otherwise - this seems to appeal to the rich and famous because it's trendy, and everybody else who wants to look like a celebrity or who wants to convince their friends and family that they're got a lot of money (whether or not they do).
http://www.sunglassesportal.com/list...i%20Sunglasses

So... that's just my opinion. Since you gave yours.
Old 11-30-06, 02:42 PM   #26
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Trader Score: (2)

profile.php?id=100001050339562 @DaveGS4 DaveGS4 The Real DaveGS4

I've got a pair of Revo w/presciption polarized lenses. I need correction for astigmatism so I can't get cool curved glasses like many of them pictured here.

*** Click image for team info! ***

LS430 Ultra * PCS * ML * Rear Fridge * Massaging and Reclining Rear Seats * Vaistech SL-I * Coastal Lockpick

Tundra SR5 5.7 and BMW E36 M3/4 track car (wife's)

** Want to put your PC to good use every night?** Click here to join the Club Lexus Folding Team and help find a cure for cancer and other diseases. May the force be with you.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 02:44 PM   #27
tytgs300
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to tytgs300

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgeshaIS300
just an honest feedback but not intended to hurt anyone's feeling (maybe nascar fans)
i apologize if i did
oakley can not worth that much even if they are 100% carbon-carbon
they are low-end mass produced junk just like those made in china nike air max shoes that sold for $125 a pr.

im talking real bargan here and i did mentioned $50 or less previously
my Georgio Armani are propably
no better, but for just $50 for the real GA and to look like a movie star, why not?
better than spending $500 for them oakley and still look like redneck nascar fans
tytgs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 03:57 PM   #28
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Quote:
just an honest feedback but not intended to hurt anyone's feeling (maybe nascar fans)
i apologize if i did
oakley can not worth that much even if they are 100% carbon-carbon
they are low-end mass produced junk just like those made in china nike air max shoes that sold for $125 a pr.

im talking real bargan here and i did mentioned $50 or less previously
my Georgio Armani are propably
no better, but for just $50 for the real GA and to look like a movie star, why not?
better than spending $500 for them oakley and still look like redneck nascar fans
Oh, Oakleys are made in China? That must explain why my Oakleys sitting right next to me say "Made in the USA" on the inner band.

Mass produced? Does that change anything? What does mass produced really mean anyway? Made on an assembly line? Are Armani glasses made any differently? Wait, you didn't even know where they make Oakleys, you're definitely not going to be familiar with manufacturing methods, then.

Oakleys wouldn't even be high quality if they used "carbon-carbon"? Please tell me what that is - never heard of an element or material called "carbon-carbon".

They do, however, use materials ranging from pure titanium to titanium alloy (x-metal), magnesium, and forged aluminum for their frames (depending on the model), and a very high strength scratch-resistant polycarbonate lens with some proprietary form of coating that allows 100% UV blockage and polarization in some lighting conditions.

I wouldn't exactly say that's low quality. If Armani is using materials that are more reliable or stronger, please let me know what these are... I'd love to hear it. Maybe they use "carbon-carbon"?

For what it's worth I hate nascar, I can't stand red necks, and if I felt these glasses were only worn by 'red neck' I probably wouldn't wear them, even though the primary reason for me buying these was because I like the way they look and feel when I'm driving, playing sports, or any other outdoor type activity.
I never have and probably never will wear them with a suit, as that would look silly, but typically when I'm wearing a suit I'm primarily indoors or it's night time anyway, and unlike the celebrities and other people who think they're simply too hot to touch, I think it's amazingly retarded to wear sun glasses at night or indoors unless you're only indoors for a minute, or playing poker.

PS - while I'm assisting in your education, yes some things that are made in China are cheap. But there are absolutely some things that are arguably the highest quality products in their respective category - I have one in my bag sitting next to me right now... it's called an IBM Thinkpad, and it's manufactured fully in China by a Chinese company called Lenovo.

Last edited by Threxx; 11-30-06 at 04:01 PM..
Old 11-30-06, 04:34 PM   #29
AJ
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to AJ

Gucci with medical lens
Attached Images

Old 11-30-06, 05:50 PM   #30
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

To each their own on glasses. Many years back, I'd get headaches from a variety of brands and soon afterwards, I'd bring those glasses by my opthamologist or optomotrist for testing. His recommendation were the following: Ray Ban #1 and I could pick choose as I felt between: Oakley, Revo and Mauji Jim. None of these were stocked by my docs so at least it wasn't some sales line for them. There are others of good quality but I stick to these.

Some Ray Ban's gave me headaches due to the optical centers being off for my eyes but not a big deal getting an exchange. Oakley has been flawless for me so I remain with them. Their warranty is quite generous too.

I've used them year after year cycling, as safety glasses and they have not failed. Granted the composite frames are not as durable but they do stand behind the product for replacement.

Mike
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 05:50 PM