Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A week ago today...

Old 08-06-05, 11:03 PM   #1
nthach
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Default A week ago today...

I lost my longtime friend to senseless gang violence, and it happened in a small town right by where I live. Why do these people even exist?

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/12274427.htm
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
nthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 11:05 PM   #2
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthach
I lost my longtime friend to senseless gang violence, and it happened in a small town right by where I live. Why do these people even exist?

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/12274427.htm
Very sorry to hear this. We have to login to see the article, can u cut and paste for us?
Old 08-06-05, 11:25 PM   #3
nthach
Lexus Champion

it was crazy this past week, i been to his vigil, viewing, and memorial. I feel a part of me is gone. He was VERY passionate about cars, he had a 84 VW GTI he loved to death. He was warehouse manager at 4 Wheel Parts in Oakland. He was just getting his life together, until it came to a screeching halt last week.

on request of 1SICKLEX:

Posted on Mon, Aug. 01, 2005

Two killed in Pinole shooting

By Tom Lochner

PINOLE - An early evening stroll in the park with some friends ended in death for two young West Contra Costa men after a gunman opened fire on them Saturday.

David Gregory, 18, of Hercules and Darren Kretchmar, 21, of Pinole were shot on a footpath along Pinole Creek under the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad trestle at the edge of Fernandez Park at 6:44 p.m., according to Pinole police.

Gregory was pronounced dead at the scene. Kretchmar died Saturday night at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, a Contra Costa County Coroner's spokesman said. A third man, Richard Male, 19, of Pinole was in fair condition at John Muir late Sunday, a nursing supervisor said.

Police arrested Daniel Ruiz, 25, in the back yard of a nearby home a little more than a half-hour after the shootings. He was being held without bail Sunday at the County Jail in Martinez on suspicion of two murders, attempted murder and participating in a criminal street gang.

Pinole police, in a news release, said Ruiz lives in San Pablo, but an official at the jail said later Sunday that Ruiz is a Pinole resident.

The police department provided no additional information and was not available for comment Sunday.

Kretchmar's sister, Diana Burr, described her brother as highly intelligent, a "computer whiz" who aspired to be a mechanic. The Pinole Valley High School graduate, a former honors student, was fun-loving and had recently begun a new job as the manager of the parts department of an automotive store in Oakland, Burr said.

She said she believes Saturday's shootings were an act of random violence. Her brother was with a group of people, one of whom said no words were exchanged before the gunman, who may have been with another person, opened fire, Burr said.

Her brother had left the house telling their mother he would be gone for just a few minutes, Burr said. Minutes later, when they heard police sirens, family members called Kretchmar on his cell phone but got no answer.

Fernandez Park is a few hundred feet from the family house.

"He never came back," Burr said. A short while later, Pinole police called the home and told Kretchmar's father his son had been shot.

"He had so much to live for," Burr said. The killing has left the family devastated and bewildered about how such an incident could occur in its hometown at a park she and her brother had frequented since childhood.

On Sunday, more than a half-dozen police vehicles, including several from Hercules, provided a starkly dissonant background to an otherwise placid park scene that included a children's party with balloons and an inflatable jump structure. Elsewhere in the park, people picnicked or played basketball while police investigators plied bushes near the footpath and along the outfield fence of the park's baseball field with a variety of tools, including a machete, assisted by a county sheriff's dog.

"Until a month ago, nothing like this would ever happen here," said Michael Baker, 15, a Pinole resident who was in the park Sunday.

Saturday's double homicide was the second recent incident of gunfire in a park known as a peaceful family gathering place. On June 4, at least two gunmen fired into the park from the parking lot of an adjacent shopping center but hit no one.
Old 08-06-05, 11:33 PM   #4
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

omg, so sad RIP
Old 08-06-05, 11:38 PM   #5
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to Thomas C

I'm sorry for your loss and his family's loss, I'm surprised that there was a shooting on June 4th, although no one was hurt there, it seems the neighborhood is getting a little worse.
Old 08-07-05, 12:16 AM   #6
nthach
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas C
I'm sorry for your loss and his family's loss, I'm surprised that there was a shooting on June 4th, although no one was hurt there, it seems the neighborhood is getting a little worse.
yea, people are moving out because of that. Paranoia has already set in.
Old 08-07-05, 12:19 AM   #7
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Trader Score: (15)

I don't suggest this, but I'm an eye for an eye kinda guy and couldn't let something that serious pass without evening the score. Raw unprovoked evil violence has no excuse, and if the victims families shot back there'd be a lot less shots fired IMO.

On any other occasion I'd say everything can always be worked out.

much prayers for you and his family.

O. L. T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 12:20 AM   #8
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)

Very sorry about your friend nthach - so senseless.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 12:29 AM   #9
nthach
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I don't suggest this, but I'm an eye for an eye kinda guy and couldn't let something that serious pass without evening the score. Raw unprovoked evil violence has no excuse, and if the victims families shot back there'd be a lot less shots fired IMO.

On any other occasion I'd say everything can always be worked out.

much prayers for you and his family.
The police found the guy that shot him in a backyard, someone almost filled him full of buckshot...
Old 08-07-05, 12:29 AM

Tags
2005, daniel, pinole, ruiz, shooting